NEWS

Sam (Conspiracy Theories)

• 76 Replies

Wakshaani

• Ace Runner
« Reply #60 on: <12-27-11/2317:58> »
There are seven known members of Echo Mirage that survived. Damien Knight's one, the two who invented the cyberdeck, and ...

I'd have to check my notes.

Stry

• Chummer
« Reply #61 on: <12-28-11/0017:05> »
I think that the deceased President Kyle Haeffner and or his wife were members.

Black

• Ace Runner
  • Rocking the Shadows since 1990
« Reply #62 on: <12-28-11/0036:57> »
Known Members:
  • Alice Haeffner, deceased wife of former president Kyle Haeffner, who is also now dead...
  • David Gavilan aka Damien Knight
  • 'Buddy' dead aka 2050
  • Ken Roper &
  • Michel Eld, who created the first portable cyberdecks, made a deal with Richard Villiers and then died...
  • Erica Rutledge aka shadowrunner Static... status?

And two others...
Perception molds reality
Change perception and reality will follow
SR1+SR2+SR3++SR4+hb+++B?UB+IE+W+sa+m-gmM--P

hobgoblin

• Omae
  • Panda!
« Reply #63 on: <12-28-11/0750:24> »
2. I do not think it is ever mentioned who supplied Echo Mirage with the first generation of cyber decks, but my guess is it was Fuchi by way of Viller Electronics (Richard Viller's company before he merged  with Fuchi.)   My, guess is because Fuchi was the first corp to come out with a consumer cyberdeck.
Actually how Villiers got into Fuchi is very well documented. After the crash a couple of former Echo Mirage set up a small company making decks for the private market (before then it had been a military project that had been rammed into usage long before its prime, costing lives in the process). Both ended up dead under strange circumstances, after Villiers had picked up a share. Supposedly the blueprints and such had been destroyed during a fire, but Villiers was able to present a full set to the Fuchi board at the price of a 1/3 cut of the company and a executive position.
Want to see my flash new jacket?

hobgoblin

• Omae
  • Panda!
« Reply #64 on: <12-28-11/0751:55> »
I personally think Jack found them after they left the project. I'd look to some of the big names of the shadow matrix from editions past. Wouldn't Captain Chaos have been about old enough to have been part of Echo Mirage?
Ol' Cap was a journalist with a ethics streak and a interest in tech.

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #65 on: <12-28-11/0834:29> »
I personally think Jack found them after they left the project. I'd look to some of the big names of the shadow matrix from editions past. Wouldn't Captain Chaos have been about old enough to have been part of Echo Mirage?
Ol' Cap was a journalist with a ethics streak and a interest in tech.
See, this is why a supplement on some of the big names of yesteryear would be good, for those of us who only started on shadowrun after 4th ed came out.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

Wakshaani

• Ace Runner
« Reply #66 on: <12-28-11/1015:57> »
Alice Haeffner was killed in action against the Crash Virus, but either became the first E-Ghost or the Virus absorbed her personality and made itself into a copy of her ... the jury was never able to say for certain on this one. Regardless, the Matrix entity Alice of Wonderland vanished in Crash 2.0, seemingly destroyed, along with Wonderland.

"Buddy" made it out of the Crash Virus alive, but with a wide array of psycotropic issues. He never recovered, and finally died in 2050. Until his death, he was active as a decker in the shadows. (Possibly an old writer's PC? Dunno.)

Major David Gavilan was the officer in charge of the project. He became Damien Knight.

Ken Roper and Michael Eld left the military and got themselves a start-up company (Matrix Systems)and  producing the world's first commercial deck. Villers bought into the company (But they would only allow him to have 49% of it), then the two both died in "accidents" and all their research was destroy in a mysterious fire. Villers showed up a week later with copies of their work, prototypes of their Cyberdecks, and had assumed full control of the company after their deaths. He leveraged this into one-third ownership of Fuchi.

Keith "The Suit" Hannigan worked for Fuchi, but was snatched by Mitsuhama Computer Technologies in 2046 and hasn't been seen since. (hmmm...)

Erica "Static" Rutledge became a Shadowrunner.

These are, to my knowledge, the only ones who made it out of there. Lucien Cross is connected to Knight's Nanosecond Buyout, wich had to have had some kind of cyberdeck tech behind it, but I don't *think* he was ever outed as a member of Echo Mirage. More likely he was a tech head that Gavilan recruited, brought to a secret underground bunker, and went, "See this? This s the best computer in the entire world. It can do thing sthat you can only dream of. It's yours, if you do me a favor first..."

Nath

• Omae
« Reply #67 on: <12-28-11/1540:41> »
These are, to my knowledge, the only ones who made it out of there. Lucien Cross is connected to Knight's Nanosecond Buyout, wich had to have had some kind of cyberdeck tech behind it, but I don't *think* he was ever outed as a member of Echo Mirage. More likely he was a tech head that Gavilan recruited, brought to a secret underground bunker, and went, "See this? This s the best computer in the entire world. It can do thing sthat you can only dream of. It's yours, if you do me a favor first..."
Lucien Cross and David Gavilan worked together at the investigative research division of Acquisition Technologies. Gavilan worked at AT before joining Echo Mirage in 2029 according to The Dragonheart Trilogy, and after leaving Echo Mirage according to Corporate Guide (other books, Blood in the Boardroom and Corporate Download can be read both way). Lucien Cross may be slightly older than Gavilan: in Corporate Download, he was already 70 when Damien Knight only was in his late 60ies. According to Blood in the Boardroom Game Information (thus, supposedly objective), Gavilan and Cross "had a great deal of respect for each other's programming abilities". I guess Lucien Cross, being a Quebecer, wasn't on the government list when they recruited "the best and brightest" for Echo Mirage Team Two, for clearance issue.

It has never been stated if the Nanosecond Buyout specifically relied to Echo Mirage technology. At least, there was still enough work to do for Gavilan to consider he needed Cross' skills. Also, they operated from the Swedish "data heaven", they needed to get the gear there first, while the Eurowar was still raging just 500 clicks south.

One day, I'll finish writing that fanfic on the Nanosecond Buyout...

hobgoblin

• Omae
  • Panda!
« Reply #68 on: <12-28-11/1637:53> »
I do wonder if the buyout used some kind of early days smart frame/agent code so that it could work from multiple angles at the same time. Funny thing is that first gen IC used code and concepts from the Crash virus, and now agents are used as IC. Hell, SR4 agents seems like Knowbots that finally has the hardware catching up with the ideas (never mind that them knowbots seemed to be the perfect AI seed).

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #69 on: <12-28-11/1650:49> »
The Nanosecond Buyout used what was described as "an expertly programmed bank of computers" (BITB, 54) or "a networked set of expertly tasked computers" (CD, 34).

So ... Kinda, sorta ... Yes.
« Last Edit: <12-28-11/1701:54> by James Meiers »

hobgoblin

• Omae
  • Panda!
« Reply #70 on: <12-28-11/1723:07> »
Like so many of the SR sparks, we may never know the details. And that is perhaps as it should be.

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #71 on: <12-28-11/1732:50> »
What is described is basically the same thing that the big investment houses do now with automated robobrokers trading stocks at light speed (to the point of physically putting their computers as close as possible to the NYSE computers because light travels at 0.3 meters per nanosecond).

Anyway, you can pretty well guess what I think about going back to it. I'd rather leave it up to the players.

In fact that's my whole philosophy: Be useful. Be awesome. I'm building the frame to a house, so I don't see the value in digging up the yard to bury some (fake?) artifacts in the event someone wants to dig up the backyard to see if it's an Indian burial ground. Let them and their GM decide whether they just find buried cables, human remains, alien fossils, or the Hollow Earth.
« Last Edit: <12-28-11/1737:29> by James Meiers »

Argent

• Chummer
  • Doh! Wrong ammo clip!
« Reply #72 on: <12-28-11/1737:43> »
Two products I haven't bought yet.

*shakes fist*

Curse you, desire for print-product instead of PDF!

Just do what I do and buy both. :)
Running the shadows since 1989.

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« Reply #73 on: <12-28-11/1753:32> »
Remember also that seven of the hackers of Echo Mirage survived; all of the techies did, too.  And not all of the programmers would necessarily have been hackers; the first team showed the issues with that.  In addition, remember the necessity for programming the psychological 'medical assist' program -- which eventually transformed into the AI Mirage.  More people, from programmers to psychologists...
Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #74 on: <12-28-11/1801:16> »
... and thus was was born the UCAS Department of Information, the Matrix Marshals, modern NSA, and for absolute certainty, the IRS Enforcement Division.

I can see a roomful of people sitting at their computers when someone comes in and says, "Okay. Let's try a login to SprintNet. And, remember, goggles on for safety."

Because the computers might explode, see.
« Last Edit: <12-28-11/1804:58> by James Meiers »