NEWS

The Passions (yes i know it is related to ED)

• 63 Replies

Morg

« on: <10-21-11/2152:50> »
I have been tinkering with this for a while with my game group, and I would like to see some opinions. I know that a lot of the Meta plots have taken a big hit when SR and ED went to different companies.

At what point in SR are we likely to see the Return of the Passions, what new form will they take. (We have already seen and attempted return by the Horrors in previous editions)

Can New Passions Come to Exist beyond the 13

Here is the big one How will the world react to unveiling of the Passions how will it effect the Megas and how will the Megas interact with the Questers

What kind of runs would a Quester be lead to do

I have some of my own ideas but i like extra inspiration and Discussion
« Last Edit: <10-21-11/2231:21> by Morg »

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <10-21-11/2206:34> »
Tom Dowd wrote a story two decades ago where Harlequin has a conversation with one of the Passions, Voices From the Past. Start there.

http://www.pvv.ntnu.no/~leirbakk/rpg/shadowrun/fiction/shadowrun_fiction_voicesfromthepast.html

dodger

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: <12-01-11/1133:01> »
I'm fairly certin that this story is from the "forward" of the adventure Harelquins Back. Sadly I am currently at work and cannot check the book. As for SR ever adding the passions again, I doubt it. I for one would like to see some more ED crossover action, but with the games in two different companies hands don't hold your breath. That being said, Harelquins does make an appearance in the new artifacts adventures, so we have a little bit of ED crossoverish goodness there lol.

~Dodger
"I am no paladin. I never will be. I
refuse to be twisted to serve any person's will."
-Dodger
-Choose Your Enemies Carefully-

raggedhalo

• Omae
« Reply #3 on: <12-01-11/1215:45> »
I'm fairly certin that this story is from the "forward" of the adventure Harelquins Back.

Consider that confirmed.
Joe Rooney
Freelancer (Missions and otherwise: here's my stuff, plus CMP 2011-05 Burn Notice)

My Obsidian Portal profile

Zilfer

• Ace Runner
« Reply #4 on: <12-01-11/1444:36> »
That was enjoyable read, however it leaves me wondering whether it was his imagination or not. <.< I'm going to assume not.

I didn't know there were different things besides the horrors.... do Passions come first? o.O'

Also i have a question about horrors. how come back when magic was alive back in EarthDawn why didn't the horror's make it to Earth or whatever? Is it just because magic went away or something?
Having access to Ares Technology isn't so bad, being in a room that's connected to the 'trix with holographic display throughout the whole room isn't bad either. Food, drinks whenever you want it. Over all not bad, but being unable to leave and with a Female Dragon? No Thanks! ~The Captive Man

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #5 on: <12-01-11/1447:05> »
There are more things in the Matrix and the Astral Plains, Zilfer, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Xzylvador

• Prime Runner
  • Ask me about NERPS! 30% Sales!
« Reply #6 on: <12-01-11/1753:23> »
I'm really curious about all that too, Zilfer.

Is there anything (as pleasant) to read (as the story James Meiers linked) that gives a history of what's what, who's who and what's going on, for those who don't know/play Earthdawn or haven't played SR for two decades?

dodger

• Newb
« Reply #7 on: <12-01-11/2236:55> »
Well as far as online resources , there isn't many that I can think of off the top of my head now that Acient History's site is down. However, I have picked up almost all of Redbrick's 3rd edition of Earthdawn and it's pretty good reading, lots of flavor text and stories..... You just have to also read the current Shadowrun (and older) books ....then make the connections between the two as sadly, the Earthdawn forums rant as active as we are here and dumpshock. We truly are very lucky as shadowrun fans to have such an active player/ fan base.

~Dodger
-Dodger

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« Reply #8 on: <12-02-11/2043:29> »
That was enjoyable read, however it leaves me wondering whether it was his imagination or not. <.< I'm going to assume not.

I didn't know there were different things besides the horrors.... do Passions come first? o.O'

Also i have a question about horrors. how come back when magic was alive back in EarthDawn why didn't the horror's make it to Earth or whatever? Is it just because magic went away or something?

It was probably his imagination; the Horrors came first, but the Passions came best.  And the Horrors did make it to Earth.

Here's how it goes:
  • Magic comes back.  The Age begins officially when the first Great Dragon emerges.  Elves and dwarves are born.  Spirits can be summoned.
  • Magic ramps up higher.  Orks and trolls goblinize.  Insect spirits can be summoned.
  • Magic ramps even higher.  Windlings/pixies, drakes, and changelings emerge.  Very weak horrors summonable via very nasty (NPC) magic.
  • Magic -- you guessed it -- ramps still higher.  Possible that obsidimen and t'skrang emerge.  Horrors can be summoned.
  • Magic gets so high the Horrors can cross on their own; they do so.  Bad things happen.
  • People hide in magically-protected areas ('kaers' in Earthdawn) or make themselves 'unpalatable' to Horrors (e.g. the elves of Blood Wood).
  • Magic starts to receed.  Horrors can no longer cross on their own, but can be summoned -- and once here, can stay.  (Earthdawn's time, AFAIK.)
  • Magic receeds further.  Horrors can no longer be summoned, but can still stick around.
  • Magic receeds even further.  T'skrang and obsidimen 'go underground'.
  • Magic goes under the line -- no more etc. are born/emerge; only 'humans' are born.  The Age officially ends when the last Great Dragon sleeps.
Passions are basically ultra-spirits -- the Gods, for want of a better term.  They're ... sort of always around, even during low-magic, but you can get actual answers when there's lots of magic.

Any questions?
Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.

dodger

• Newb
« Reply #9 on: <12-02-11/2244:18> »
I have one! So other than it being Harlequin, why do you think he was only imagining that the passion was there? (other than he was drunk :) )

~Dodger
-Dodger

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« Reply #10 on: <12-02-11/2323:56> »
Not entirely sure.  I think I thought it was actually a memory-image of Ysgraithe (who was destroyed/dispelled by Aina Dupreè over Crater Lake in ... '54?), and who must therefore be not there.  It may still be, even though the figure gives good advice.  Harlequin uses different words on it, though -- calling it a foul spirit and attempting a banishing that had failed before, Master of the Twisted Path, etc. etc.

Harlequin: "The only wisdom you teach is avoidance.  (...)  Your words are lies and your deeds treachery. Your inspiration is betrayal."

The Figure: "I am Deceit. I am Deception. I am Treachery. I am Betrayal. I am the passions that bring men to lie to others, and themselves."

At a guess, if it was real, it would have been one of the Mad Passions, partially healed -- or just still not yet fully consumed.  All things considered, from what the figure said and after doing some quick research on them on the web, I'd guess it's a mental conjuration of Vestrial -- the cloak, the words, the fact that Harlequin is an Immortal Elf, who could have been a Questor of the Passion Vestrial before the Scourge when it was the inspiration of pranksters and jesters and, err, harlequins, and who could have well been partially twisted into doing something bad afterwards before confronting It and trying to banish it ...

By my guess, I'd say that, partially drunk on a drug that's a sort of alcohol-analogue (I say this because of its description in the third paragraph), he mentally conjures a figure out of his own past to assemble a wide range of scraps of information and put them together into a realization of something critical of what's going on, i.e. the Bridge.  Being half drunk/drugged, he uses Power, which despite the figure's words, really doesn't clear his head.  It 'departs', burning away -- which could easily be a metaphor of the last of his own haze burning away.

Alternately, it's entirely possible that Alamestra -- which 'is not an indulgence known for gifting wisdom' -- has within it something that can form a literal link between the imbiber and the aforementioned Mad Passion.  Caimbuel, if he's a former Questor, would be particularly sensitive to it, and thus Vestrial could personally manifest to him ...
Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #11 on: <12-03-11/0257:59> »
Or, you know, it could have just been "The Green Fairy".  ;)

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

TheWanderingJewels

• Omae
« Reply #12 on: <12-03-11/0749:33> »
hokay...a small treatment of the Passions from ED, if they showed up in SR

Astendar:  (Somehow I imagine this one as a Elven rockergirl)
Passion of Love, Art and Music
Common Elements associated: Light Rain, Music, beautiful clothing of intricate textures.
Appearance: ?

Chorrolis:
Passion of Wealth, Trade, Jealousy, Desire
Common Elements associated: Bags of Treasure (well, impressive cred accounts in 2072), Trucking or shipping companies, places that sell goods, food.
Appearance: A corpulent male of any metatype either quiet jovial or bitter and depressed (depending on aspect at the moment). Alway impeccably dressed with objects of great expense around him.

Dis (Mad Passion):
Once Passion of Order, Bureaucracy, and Work, now Mad Passion of Confusion, Unnecessary Work, Complex Bureaucratic Hierarchies, Slavery and Mastery
Common Elements Associated: Papers, Papers and MORE Papers, Contracts, Tomes of Ritual, Slaves, Chains
Appearance: typically a sickly specimen of metahumanity, one that has not seen the light very often and deprived of exercise.

Floranuus: (a party hardy streetbrawler type?)
Passion of Revelry, Energy, Victory, Motion
Common Elements Associated: Fire, Parties, Wine, Roads, Swift Vehicles.

Garlen: (let's just call her Gaia and be done with it)
Passion of Hearth and Healing
Common Elements associated: Homes, Children, underground bunkers, Enclosed Spaces, Water
Appearance:?

Jaspree: (somehow, having this one appear as a Shinto Priest blessing the ground works)
Passion of Growth, Care of the Land, Love of the Wilderness
Common Elements Associated: Trees, Farms, Forests, Seeds

Lochost:
Passion of Rebellion, Change, Freedom
Common elements associated: Strong Wind, Uprooted Trees, Open Doors
Appearance:  A stately, muscular gentleman dressed in period  work clothing from the 1800's that has the air of dignity and long suffering about it. Alternatively dresses in formal cloths from the same period, trimmed in red white and blue. An alternative appearance is that of a Imperial Eagle with natural red and blue plummage

I've actually had this one pop up as unknown patron for the players that have gotten them out of trouble more than once. The group has a habit of taking on sympathy cases, and has gone head to head with slavers more than once, which drew it's attention. One of the NPC's, Sonny, is a down home redneck that actually believes in the old promises written in the CAS, UCAS, and old US constiutions, and was involved in retreiving Old Glory and the Original Canadian Red Ensign in a run. Old Glory and the Ensign had regenerated in 2061, much to the shock of many involved in care taking them, with one hell of a magical signature. He kept it for himself as he looks at the UCAS as unworthy. Turns out that the 2061 Surge and the beliefs still embued on the material had served as a locus for Lochost to focus on. they are only just beginning to understand that something is up

Mynubruje:
Passion of Justice, Compassion, Empathy, Truth
Common Elements Associated: Balanced Scales, Executioners Axe, Stars, A Comfortable Place to Rest.

Raggok (Mad Passion):
Once Passion of Tolerance, Leadership, Endurance, and Perseverance, Now Mad Passion of Vengeance, Bitterness, Jealousy
Common Elements Associated: Skeletons, the Undead, Swords (now guns), wounds, insects, snow and ice.
Appearance: a large metatype with the head of a ram (typically a solider of some sort), scores of open wounds that appear, heal then reappear.

Thystonius:
Passion of Physical Conflict and Valor
Common Elements Associated: Banners and pennants, Weapons, Armor, Battlefields

Upandal:
Passion of Building, Construction, Planning
Common Elements Associated: Hammer, Building Plans, Compass, Lathes
Appearance?

Vestrial (Mad Passion):
Once Passion of Playful Trickery, now Mad Passion of Manipulation and Deceit
Common Elements Associated: Assassins Dagger (or weapon), blood, Ambush
Tech dreams of organic toys
And I'm runnin' out on the edge
Soft screams of the rockerboys
Echoing through my head

--Miracle Of Sound, City Of Night

Zilfer

• Ace Runner
« Reply #13 on: <12-03-11/1238:36> »
So passions are always around, and it seems they are seemingly around "passions" or peoples emotions. At least some of them. So that's the first time i've seen that list and it's helpful but cuase I may have a few minor appearances with them.

Are they killable? I'm guessing they are not killable since it sounded like Harle tried to banish it and not kill it.
Having access to Ares Technology isn't so bad, being in a room that's connected to the 'trix with holographic display throughout the whole room isn't bad either. Food, drinks whenever you want it. Over all not bad, but being unable to leave and with a Female Dragon? No Thanks! ~The Captive Man

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #14 on: <12-03-11/1242:22> »
Dis huh?  I think I got to see "Him" personally...

#ThisTaserGoesTo11