NEWS

Mutants and Masterminds

• 6 Replies

freddieflatline

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
« on: <02-06-11/2201:05> »
Hey if any of you have played Mutants and Masterminds can you give me your opinions.  I am looking for a supers system that does not require a degree in physics to run (i.e. Hero System).

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #1 on: <02-07-11/0025:29> »
I haven't played the new edition, but the d20 version was very easy to play and run.

The main thing about the supers game, however, is that's it's a lot better if you don't level up the characters as you play. It's definitely set to be a game where power levels are set and you simply run the game, without giving XP for adventures. I say this because leveling up in the version I played evolved us from 60's X-Men level of heroics to JLA Watchtower level in about six months.

Bull

• Ace Runner
  • Crotchety Old Ork Decker
« Reply #2 on: <02-07-11/0212:48> »
From what I can see, the newest edition is still d20 based (Though of all the D20/OGL based games out there, it's one of the most heavily modified and refined to force the core system to fit the needs of the game, rather than the way most companies forced the game to fit the system.  It's also the only D20 system I'll still willingly play and purchase books of, and not just because I'm friends with a lot of the folks behind it :)).

Regardless, decent system.   Like all Supers, it's got it's flaws.  You simply can't make a game designed to cover everything from "vanilla mortals" like Frank Castle to "Literal and Figurative Gods" like Superman and Thor with there being the potential for breakdown and cheesedickery.  But it does a pretty solid job.  One of my favorite games.  I'm bummed they got the DC license this year, mostly because I'm an old school Marvel Zombie and would much rather have official stats and books for Marvel than DC.  That, and they sold out of DC at Gen Con, and I haven't had the money to pick it up since.  THere's a 3rd edition that's out, or coming out, or something...  I'm behind on my non-SR games a bit.  So I'd suggest checking the DC core book out (WHich is based on the 3rd ed version of the rules, and had some good folks working on it) or the 3rd ed stuff.

That, or say "Screw it" and play the old TSR Marvel Superheroes.  If you can let your inner child out to play, you can still have a blast with FASERIP.  Just don't think about it too hard ;)

Bull

topcat

• Newb
« Reply #3 on: <02-07-11/0856:53> »
Huge fan of both 2nd and 3rd/DC editions - 3rd/DC edition being my favorite gaming system at the moment.  Haven't had any problems using it for a variety of games of a variety of power levels, though I admit 2nd had some power creep and imbalance issues.  The changes for 3rd helped smooth things out a bit.  For me, it has the right degree of balance and granularity, which is rare in any system.  Never played the 1st edition, so I can't say whether it was good or not.

M&M is very easy to play and run, especially in comparison to the Hero System.  I've been a Hero fan since the early-mid 80s, but admit that the game has gotten out of hand.  If you didn't follow Champions/Hero through its evolution, it'd be incredibly difficult to learn and play now.  Plus, there's a huge grumpy old gamer schism between 5th and 6th editions (and a smaller one that still won't let go of 4th).  I like the changes in 6th edition, but there's just too much granularity in the system at the moment.  M&M is the way to go.

freddieflatline

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
« Reply #4 on: <02-07-11/1904:44> »
Thanks for the replies so far:-)  I really appreciate your alls opinions.

Outrider45

« Reply #5 on: <02-08-11/2048:47> »
I have to agree with the positive notes about M&M. I played a 2nd Ed game for awhile (Hero High....teens with powers....I was "The Rightous Dude") and it was a blast to play & fairly easy. I still don't like point buys for building characters but its nowhere near as horrifying as Champions was. I did manage to pick up the DC Universe one and it seems more streamlined in some places (specifics are eluding me without both books side by side).

I'm with Bull on wanting a good Marvel supes game but I can live with playing with the JLA too. Give it a shot, I think you'll like either the Core M&M books or the DCU one.

freddieflatline

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
« Reply #6 on: <02-24-11/1638:59> »
Okay thanks for the feedback.  I went and picked up DC Adventures at my local game store.  They do not have the new M&M yet.  I have to say it is really cool.  Even better my players love it.  Right now they are fighting Baron Von Stryker an undead Nazi from World War II.  All I can say is Third Reich Cyborg Zombie Commandos.  My guys are having a blast.  Again thanks guys.