NEWS

necro-magic?

• 4 Replies

Ogrepot

• Newb
« on: <02-17-18/1407:09> »
What do you guys think of the necro-magic tradition?
With the specificities of their summoning rules, i don't see why it could,'t be used by an aspected sorcerer.
Especially considering that their summoning ritual (if i understood well) puts the spirit under the control of the ritualist for a number of days, without any reference to a negotiation with the spirit....
Makes for a good tradition for aspected sorcerers, or for magicians with the dedicated sorcerer quality...

ShadowcatX

• Omae
« Reply #1 on: <02-17-18/1521:21> »
A good tradition is one that isn't in Forbidden Arcana. Seriously, enjoy your 35 karma worth of the spells for 5 karma quality and walk away from the book after that.

firebug

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
  • Scraping the bottom of the Resonance Barrel
« Reply #2 on: <02-17-18/2156:44> »
Just about all the traditions in that book are kind of shit.  They all have a bunch of special-snowflake rules, some are just strictly bad because they only penalize you compared to standard traditions, and Necro Magic is directly referencing the Swamp Thing mythos, along with Red Magic and Green Magic, which really upsets me.  Swamp Thing is still fiction in Shadowrun, and it is so sloppy and lazy to just start pulling from other IPs.  I mean, really?  We have DC stuff in Shadowrun now?  Shadowrun's got enough setting details of its own, it doesn't need to risk bloating the setting even more by using Swamp Thing and Cthulu, but somebody decided "why the fuck not" and nobody stopped them.
I'm Madpath Moth on reddit (and other sites).  Feel free to PM me errata questions!
Jeeze.  It would almost sound stupid until you realize we're talking about an immortal elf clown sword fighting a dragon ghost in a mall.

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #3 on: <02-18-18/0131:14> »
Just about all the traditions in that book are kind of shit.  They all have a bunch of special-snowflake rules, some are just strictly bad because they only penalize you compared to standard traditions, and Necro Magic is directly referencing the Swamp Thing mythos, along with Red Magic and Green Magic, which really upsets me.  Swamp Thing is still fiction in Shadowrun, and it is so sloppy and lazy to just start pulling from other IPs.  I mean, really?  We have DC stuff in Shadowrun now?  Shadowrun's got enough setting details of its own, it doesn't need to risk bloating the setting even more by using Swamp Thing and Cthulu, but somebody decided "why the fuck not" and nobody stopped them.
And yet we still don't have anything for TMs except Bubba the Love Troll and sandpaper for lube.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

Jack_Spade

• Prime Runner
« Reply #4 on: <02-18-18/0350:54> »
What do you guys think of the necro-magic tradition?
With the specificities of their summoning rules, i don't see why it could,'t be used by an aspected sorcerer.
Especially considering that their summoning ritual (if i understood well) puts the spirit under the control of the ritualist for a number of days, without any reference to a negotiation with the spirit....
Makes for a good tradition for aspected sorcerers, or for magicians with the dedicated sorcerer quality...

Back to the original question:
Yes, aspected sorcerers could use necro summoning just as they could create a golem or a watcher. Further more you can modify that through the Greater Ritual Metamagic to gain a servant of stupendous power
Especially the Palefire Spirit is so easy to produce (getting ashes is really no problem) that the whole thing becomes rather ridiculous. But such is the nature of forbidden knowledge. 
talk think matrix

To strive, to seek, to find and not to yield
Revenant Kynos Isaint Rex