NEWS

Multiplier Interactions?

• 2 Replies

UnLimiTeD

• Omae
« on: <02-09-18/0701:29> »
(A bit similar to this question, but not quite. )

How do multipliers to the same character variable interact?
I would assume they stack additively, or at least I would hope so, but I'm not entirely sure, especially in cases where one "adds to the multiplier", and the other "doubles" it.

Extreme (niche) example:
Let's take an augmented adept, with base stats Elf, 5 Agi, 3 Str, which amongst other implants and powers has:
  • 2 full Cyberlegs, with 5/5 and Waterjet upgrades (triples Swimming speed)
  • Webbing in both Hands (+1 to swimming speed multiplier per pair)
  • Power Swimming Adept Power (Doubles Swimming rate, +4 meters per hit on a swim test)

How fast could this individual swim?
If all multipliers stack additively, it'd be 5 times the base rate, which is normally the average of Agi and Str.
Now, given the way Power Swimming is worded, perhaps unintentionally, you could also read that as stacking multiplicatively with the implant options, with the extra meters on a swim test essentially being the same multiplier as is applied to the base rate IF the power were the only modifier.
If the implants stack additively, then apply to the + meters, that'd mean every hit would add 16 meters? Or would we have to calculate the base, in this case 2 meters, with the multipliers, thus it being 2 x 4 +2 = 10?
I assume in the case of an infected, it would just add in the same way Power Swimming already does, no matter how that is.

I'm honestly interested in everyone's opinion on the interaction here, both RAW and RAI, as I assume the writers just didn't think of the potential interactions here.
Still waiting on a Vector-Thrust Liminal Body.

ShadowcatX

• Omae
« Reply #1 on: <02-09-18/1245:36> »
I believe rules as intended would have them stack additively, which is how I would run them, although to be honest this is never going to come up in a regular game.

UnLimiTeD

• Omae
« Reply #2 on: <02-09-18/1352:45> »
True, which is why I thought it a harmless example. Though the interaction for dice bonuses with the implants is kind of interesting.
If you want something that can come up in a game, take digitigrade legs and skates/skimmers. Making it a vampire is entirely optional. We seem to be in agreement on the application, though.
Still waiting on a Vector-Thrust Liminal Body.