NEWS

New Player, with an adept gun bunny

• 7 Replies

Helmgard

• Newb
« on: <01-26-18/1649:46> »
Hey all, I'm a new player, going to get my first actual game next week, I've spent weeks making this character, read lots of bits up about it, so just wanted to know what you guys thought, anything obvious I've missed? https://drive.google.com/open?id=1yBb1TjV2ibJtMS06AQFRDoOultVq_lL2(PDF on my gdrive as I created the chracter using chummer5)

Love the whole setting of shadowrun, played the 3 rpgs and thought they were great, so excited about actually getting onto the table soon.

ShadowcatX

• Omae
« Reply #1 on: <01-26-18/1743:10> »
You aren't very optimized, but that can be a good thing or a bad thing. I'm going to give some optimization suggestions. I'll keep it pure magic since you didn't go the burn out route.

For attributes you are pretty good, I'd personally shuffle a point from strength or charisma over to willpower so I could get an extra stun box. I'd probably shuffle the other extra point over to reaction. (Edit: You have 27 attribute points, I think you probably over spent a bit.)

Automatics covers machine pistols, you don't need the pistols skill. With the points increase perception to 6 and get a specialization in visual, cap automatics at 6, put the other 4 points sneaking. Likewise drop leadership for a point of sneaking.  Trading a point of heavy weapons for a point of palming probably isn't terrible either.

Attribute boost abilities are mediocre, other than agility which is acceptable. Combat sense can be at 1. You can also drop enhanced accuracy for pistols. With the saved power points purchase 3 levels of improved ability: automatics. You could also get away with dropping a level of improved reflexes since you won't going in the fourth initiative pass, and 3d6 +12 is going to get you into the third initiative pass the vast majority of the time.

Your qualities are meh. They're boring and don't add anything mechanically or roleplay to your character, except maybe the phobia of rats. Sharp shooter would be pretty good for you. And maybe perfect timing if you are going to be using called shots.

Get machine pistols in place of the ones you have now.
« Last Edit: <01-26-18/1753:35> by ShadowcatX »

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #2 on: <01-26-18/2009:42> »
Hey Helmgard, welcome to the boards.

When posting a character, it can be helpful to list 1) how you allocated your priorities, 2) how you spent your karma, and 3) any restrictions or guidelines for chargen from your GM.

ShadowcatX is right that you seem to have overspent on Attributes, even if you have Attributes A.

The conventional wisdom is to specialize in one weapon type, in this case Pistols or Automatics. Most people choose the latter because they have better ranges and BF/FA shooting modes to help whittle away the opponent's Dodge pool. (Assault rifles have sweet damage codes too.) That said, using Pistols is perfectly viable if you prefer to go that route.

I notice that you don't have any adept powers from Street Grimoire. Was that a restriction?

What's Mentor Spirit: Luna?

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #3 on: <01-27-18/0006:29> »
Another bit of conventional wisdom I see on the forum is a 16 dice yardstick: you should have 16 dice pool in whatever it is you're good at.

For what it's worth I'm not completely sold on that, and consider 14 or even 12 acceptable for a chargen level character... but it may be worth considering if your GM and other players are expecting a gun bunny to have 16+ dice for shooting.
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

Helmgard

• Newb
« Reply #4 on: <01-27-18/0534:53> »
Thanks guys, some good advice, I'll make some changes, I had done an 800 karma build rather then a preference, but it turns out I should of done a preference according to our gm as well!! (oops!) So just rejigging it with your suggestions as well.

Other than guns, what about equipment? I found a pretty awesome guide which had "what a runner should take" list but anything missing?

Helmgard

• Newb
« Reply #5 on: <01-27-18/0721:10> »
Okay, Redone it a bit now, so as preference
A- Attributes
B- Adept
C- Skills
D- Meta
E- Money

Majority of Karma spent on cold hard Nuyen

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Ji1pm4MQ6Hezm09DHdjbdAJtUCXueb6u

Please let me know what you think!

ShadowcatX

• Omae
« Reply #6 on: <01-27-18/0847:11> »
You can only spend 10 karma on Nuyen.(will look at the rest later).

Helmgard

• Newb
« Reply #7 on: <01-27-18/0910:11> »
I took the Born Rich quality, although it's more stole alot of stuff from the back ground!