Author Topic: Prototype tech  (Read 388 times)

• Omae
Prototype tech
« on: (18:22:31/01-02-18) »
In lieu of the ever-present influence of Magicrun, my game has lost a lot of the cyberpunk feel to it. One way I'd like to gravitate closer to it is to have a macguffen of some prototype tech, however I'm coming up short with ideas. Just how many ways can you make a deck? Not enough to always grab the next model. So what suggestions might y'all have for the object of a run that would better immerse the feeling and setting of a more cyberpunk Shadowrun?
Yeah, TMs got thrown in the cell with Bubba the Love Troll and sandpaper for lube.
there is autosofts for everything  8)

Jack_Spade

• Prime Runner
Re: Prototype tech
« Reply #1 on: (18:36:47/01-02-18) »
Cortical stacks from the Takeshi Kovacs books:
An implant that captures all your sensations, memories and your personality which allows you to be reimplanted into a new body after your death.
Immortality through cybernetics - a game changer that makes the rich immortal and gives the other body thieves a run for their money.

All the necessary elements have been added already through CFD...
talk think matrix

To strive, to seek, to find and not to yield
Revenant Kynos Isaint Rex

• Omae
« Reply #2 on: (19:54:50/01-02-18) »
Isn't that from Eclipse Phase?
Yeah, TMs got thrown in the cell with Bubba the Love Troll and sandpaper for lube.
there is autosofts for everything  8)

Jack_Spade

• Prime Runner
« Reply #3 on: (05:18:28/01-03-18) »
Possibly, never played EP, but I'm pretty sure Richard K. Morgan came up with the idea in 2002  ;)
talk think matrix

To strive, to seek, to find and not to yield
Revenant Kynos Isaint Rex

ShadowcatX

• Omae
« Reply #4 on: (06:44:09/01-03-18) »
Possibly, never played EP, but I'm pretty sure Richard K. Morgan came up with the idea in 2002  ;)

The idea has been around since before that. The Waste World RPG had a city built around it back in 97.

Sphinx

• Omae
« Reply #5 on: (11:11:07/01-03-18) »
In lieu of the ever-present influence of Magicrun, my game has lost a lot of the cyberpunk feel to it. One way I'd like to gravitate closer to it is to have a macguffen of some prototype tech, however I'm coming up short with ideas. Just how many ways can you make a deck? Not enough to always grab the next model. So what suggestions might y'all have for the object of a run that would better immerse the feeling and setting of a more cyberpunk Shadowrun?

Some campaign changes to encourage a more "cyberpunk" atmosphere:
  • A paradigm shift occurs in some category of cyberware. Say Spinrad revolutionizes cyber replacement surgery, where cyberlimbs become available at reduced cost, or reduced Essence, or higher ratings.
  • Fashion swings back toward the "cyber-chic" of the early 2050s (+1 social modifier for obvious cyber). Meanwhile, an unusually effective Humanis marketing campaign builds distrust for the Awakened (-1 social modifier for magical paraphernalia or symbolism, -2 for obvious magic use).

Some possible technology MacGuffins for shadowruns:
  • Someone patents a superior acrylic glass, making higher structure and armor ratings possible (albeit more expensive). Details of the manufacturing process are worth a fortune to the right buyer.
  • Advances in photovoltaic building materials and transparent solar cells (google "solar windows") make it possible to take even large buildings completely off the grid, if you can afford them. Again, industrial secrets command high prices.
  • A small company develops a short-range personal flight system, sufficient to reach the top of a tall building or travel a few city blocks (look up "Flyboard Air" on YouTube). Megacorps compete to take over the company and control the tech.
  • Someone figures out how to grow the right combination of mundane and Awakened plants in zero-G hydroponic gardens to generate a sustainable manasphere aboard an orbital habitat. Plenty of people would kill to use magic in space. Plenty of others would kill to prevent it. Limited testing opportunities, good for industrial espionage or sabotage.

DigitalZombie

• Omae
« Reply #6 on: (00:57:46/02-02-18) »
It could also be  prototype person?

1. A rather small corp Rated A or even B: suddenly starts to market ( in the shadows, as PR would go crazy if the public knew) themselves as being able to create cyberzombies. The characters are hired by a "real" corporation to get them a specimen. The employer is convinced that a small corp has been cutting corners or cheated somewhere in the process.

Marcus

• Ace Runner
  • Success always demands a greater effort.
« Reply #7 on: (16:50:26/02-02-18) »
So one thing you might try to boost the cyberpunk side combination tech items prototypes, Wire Ref+Control Rig, Internal Deck + Skill wires, Muscle Toner+Tailored Pheromones, Cyberarm+Deck etc. These things give tech some badly needed breadth/variance, and helps it compete a little more with magic. After that play with wirelessly active stuff. Having all your tech talk to another other should good advantages. Have some new types of special active assistance computers be invented, macguffin or otherwise, think  wirelessly active grouping that gives some kind team work assistance type roll on the device it's assisting. 
I had GM who put Wire Ref+Control Rig into an NPC, then combined with bunch cool combat drones, one of the coolest fights scenes I ever had.