NEWS

Florida's Everglades

• 11 Replies

belaran

• Omae
« on: <01-11-17/1918:34> »
Hi all,

I'm doing some lore check on the Florida's everglade. It's briefly described in Cyberpirates (2ed) on the section about South Florida and also in Shadows of North America (3d), and then barely mentioned in Dirty Tricks (4ed). Did I miss something where the everglades are mention, and maybe a bit more described ? Maybe an other old supplement from 2ed or 3ed ? Or maybe in a scenario ?

Thanks !

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #1 on: <01-11-17/2014:36> »
Nope. I think that's it for info on that area.

Its not exactly the type of place SR is overly concerned with.... as you are not going to find a huge city teeming with megacorps there.
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

belaran

• Omae
« Reply #2 on: <01-12-17/0238:54> »
Thanks ! However you are a bit harsh, there is many description of wilderness (and dangerous) part in Shadowrun - especially when they tend to be magically active, but, granted, they rarely are as developed as a large city (like Seattle).

But for now all I needed was to be sure to not have missed anything from the official lore. Thanks again !

Rosa

• Omae
« Reply #3 on: <01-12-17/1123:34> »
There might be some in 6th world almanac, I don't recall and I don't have the book right now.

Sphinx

• Errata Team
  • Omae
« Reply #4 on: <01-12-17/1137:38> »
There might be some in 6th world almanac, I don't recall and I don't have the book right now.

One reference in Sixth World Almanac, in the paragraph for Tampa in the Confederation of American States (p.173):

"The biggest deep shipping port for the CAS, Tampa lives and dies by the business of the megacorps. After a huge local depression following Crash 2.0, recovery has finally set in as shipping is up and jobs are growing. The golf clubs and strip joints are full, the malls are packed, and the resorts near capacity, but the underworld continues to struggle. Criminal organizations typically take advantage of a growing market, but recently the limited smuggling into the area has cut into their operations. While the CAS, backed by megacorp special interests, has cracked down on the ports, there has been some traffic across the Everglades, including bootleg material, drugs, and stolen goods, much of which vanishes en route. Disappearances in the Everglades are up fifty percent over the past two years, and this seems to be having a disproportionate effect on smugglers. Florida authorities are looking into it, but they have little impetus to help out the struggling criminals."

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #5 on: <01-12-17/1150:13> »
Wasn't trying to be harsh, just pointing out that it's not going to get much page space as its not a typical plot area.

There are many areas of the world that are interesting and unique, but never get more then a sentence or two.
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

Marzhin

• Omae
  • I must confess, I was born at a very early age.
« Reply #6 on: <01-12-17/1528:12> »
One of the stories of World of Shadows, Keeping Up With Mr. Johnson by Steven S. Long, takes place in the Everglades.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.
(Groucho Marx)

belaran

• Omae
« Reply #7 on: <01-17-17/0911:32> »
@Sphinx: My bad I forgot to mention the 6th World Almanac, but it is more/less the same infos as in Dirty Tricks.

@Marzhin, thanks a lot for the mention of the novels, I would have not look there !

belaran

• Omae
« Reply #8 on: <01-17-17/0958:35> »
Oh, btw, I've dumped my summary of what I found (except for the novel) on reddit:

The Everglades

JBRocky

• Newb
« Reply #9 on: <02-18-17/1745:59> »
I used to live in Ft. Lauderdale so I some ideas that might help you.  First the Saw Grass Expressway was the Western Border of the city.  Not sure how far south it went but on one side it was a built up urban area and on the other was nothing.  Later did a game based in South Florida and we did roughly that but used the Everglades where you could go get Talimongering mats.  It could be dangerous not just from any animals that lived that but from people who lived that.  We always though there would be shacks of different types of crazy shaman types or just crazy types.  One thing you do need to watch out for is the Awakened Gators suckers are the size of a bus.

Thanael

• Chummer
« Last Edit: <02-20-17/1523:48> by Thanael »

belaran

• Omae
« Reply #11 on: <04-04-17/1601:13> »
@JBRocky Awesome inputs ! Sadly it arrived after my game :(

@Thanael thanks for the Reddit post, it is a good sum up...