NEWS

[SR5] Adept Driver

• 8 Replies

Kuirem

• Omae
« on: <09-22-16/1414:26> »
I've seen the idea of an Adept driver thrown around more than once and wanted to give it a go.

RCC can be used without a Control Rig , coupled with the high REA/initiative granted by Improved Initiative adept powers and the Control Device matrix action it is possible to control drones almost as well as a RIgger without needing to jump in. The build also assume that using Control Device allow to shoot with Drone weapons using Gunnery + Agility as described CRB p.238 (with the RCC used as a controller).

Build with Priority :

A - Skills : It will be needed, between the driving skills and meat world skills (might as well be decent at shooting since we already have the initiative/agi for it).
B - Resources : Can be switched with Magic depending on the vehicle you want, like if you are going for a biker you probably don't need that much nuyen.
C - Adept : With E Meta the magic will start at 5 but that should be enough and the extra nuyen can buy some Qi Foci to compensate
D - Attributes : That's a tough choice but something has to go there. Thanksfully we mostly need AGI and REA for that build.
E - Human : We use the Special attribute point to raise Magic to 5 so only 2 Edge. Going for an other Metatype is possible but you will need B Meta to get a decent enough Magic so you will sacrifice on everything except Skills.

Qualities

Gearhead : An important quality, you do not have the Control Rig to increase your limit so Gearhead will be the only way to pull some stunt on low Handling/Speed vehicle.
Mentor Spirit (Bat) : Fit right in the concept, I particularly like the idea of a Driver with the Motion Sense adept power, useful to park! Horse is a really good choice as well, too bad the movement power can't be used on your vehicle.
Practice, Practice, Practice (Pilot Ground Craft) : For 2 Karma you get +1 to your limit on Pilot Ground Craft, which is pretty much +1 Handling/Speed. It's an other good way to compensate the lack of Control Rig.
Subtle Pilot (Ground) : Help to hide in the traffic when you need to make a getaway.

No negative qualities because I haven't worked out the background yet. The build assume at least 23 Karma of neg.

Attributes
BODAGIREASTRCHAINTLOGWILEDGMAG
355 (8 )1 (2)232325

No surprise here, low attributes. There is 10 karma in CHA and 10 in LOG and I picked up Improved Physical Attribute (STR) because I don't like starting with an attribute at 1.

Skills
  • Outdoors Group = 5 : Mostly for Navigation but Tracking is good as well
  • Mechanic Group = 5 : With the low LOG it will mostly be for basic repair but it's better than nothing
  • Automatics (Submachine Guns) = 4 : around 12-14 dice to shoot with SMG, decent but nothing amazing
  • Club (Batons) = 4 : Stun Baton to have some melee defense
  • Electronic Warfare (Sensor Operations) = 5 : To compensate noise on the fly and man those sensors
  • Etiquette (Mercenary) = 3
  • Gunnery (Ballistic) = 4
  • Perception (Visual) = 5
  • Pilot Aircraft = 3 : Don't need it too high since Fly-Spy isn't really meant for stunt and the Roto Drones will mostly go on Autopilot
  • Pilot Ground Craft (Wheeled) = 6 : 14 (16) dice to drive, you won't put Rigger to shame but you can do some nice getaway

Adept Powers
  • Attribute Boost (AGI) : To shoot better, it's a simple action so easy enough to fit before a Ranged Attack
  • Improved Physical Attribute (STR) : Because I don't like having a 1 Attribute at chargen but it can be removed for other stuff
  • Improved Reflexes 3 :  Give us as much initiative as a Hot Sim Rigger!
  • Improved Sense (Direction Sense) : It's mostly fluff because you rarely get lost in Shadowrun with the Matrix everywhere
  • Motion Sense : Who needs Motion Sensors?

Gear
  • Qi Focus (Rating 2) (Magic Sense) : Being able to spot magic is always nice and you don't need to focus active at all time.
  • Vulcan Liegelord : Now we talk! Fitted with Targeting, Evasion, Maneuvering, Swarm and Smartsoft it will run 3 Roto Drone in a swarm to provide support fire. And of course you can use it to reduce noise while you pilot your Fly-Spy, car or Doberman remotely.

Vehicles and Drones
  • Rover 2072 : Expensive but a solid vehicle for the team. Excellent Handling, decent speed/accel, high Body and Armor, 6 Seats and a good starting sensor. This is to change depending on your starting nuyen or your style (you could go for a big combat bike/car if you prefer). I haven't put any weapon relying instead of team mates (with Gun Port) or drones to attack. It's fitted with enough Drone Rack for all your electronic friends, yay!
  • MCT-Nissan Roto-drone x 3 : A classic attack drone that work wonderfully in a swarm.
  • MCT Fly-Spy : A classic spying drone, it can even be used as an extra spotter when you are piloting the Doberman
  • GM-Nissan Doberman : For those time when you would rather pilot a drone that shoot yourself, there is a Mini Landing Drone Rack to fit the Fly-Spy
« Last Edit: <09-29-16/0834:33> by Kuirem »

FST_Gemstar

• Omae
« Reply #1 on: <09-22-16/2250:17> »
Nicely done. I'm a big fan of adept drivers. I have a hard time as rigger roleplaying "being" a van that texts. You don't really occupy matrix setting when you jump-in, as you are still really involved in action in the meat, and if you focus on your physical self, you are just out cold drooling on yourself. Adept drivers get to be potentially flashier, showier, sexier, magical, etc., basically a lot more tropes to readily work with or subvert, and you get to stay yourself (and not a van).

I do prefer switching Resources/Magic and getting 'ware. Magic 5 Edge 3. Used Muscle Toner 3, alpha datajack, alpha smartlink is .99 essence. Plus Agile Defender. This makes you a more pure wheelperson and of a pretty cheap van (or car/bike) and less concerned with drones. It does let you become a good shot  and overall more survivable runner outside of the van, have better defense, and learn/use gunnery. With Skills A you can do go pure driver like you (with a focus on outdoors/engineering) or hybridize with a more typical stealthy sam (high agility), be a sniper/getaway, or hybridize as a face (pick up a nice suit, some facey qualities, some fancy clothes, and Authoritative Tone 3). 

I would recommend squeezing in Vehicle Empathy, as it simulates some control rig perks without needing one.

Aria

• Ace Runner
« Reply #2 on: <09-29-16/0818:55> »
When you've got a build you're happy with mind if I link it in my Archive of Adepts?  I haven't attempted a driver yet in SR5 and it's a noticeable gap to fill!
Excel Cha Generators <<CG5.26>> & <CG6.xx> v36

Kuirem

• Omae
« Reply #3 on: <09-29-16/0835:15> »
I would be honored to have one of my build part of the Archive!

The build is pretty much done, I haven't picked Negative Qualities, Contacts and Knowledge Skills because it's more related to fluff than anything and I didn't plan to play this character anytime soon. The only thing to change is to replace Subtle Pilot with Vehicle Empathy, a quality that I somehow missed  :-[ (I've updated the first post with the quality)

My build is a pure Adept but FST_Gemstar build is probably more min/maxed if you don't mind a bit of burnout and prefer to go without drones.

Overbyte

• Omae
« Reply #4 on: <09-29-16/1539:36> »
I like a lot of the ideas here (and plan on stealing them to make my own).  ;D
I think you can probably build this a little better using priorities.
The skills seem a bit overkill, particularly since you are using a 5 skill group for Engineering (you list it as Mechanics) and you have a 2 LOG.
You don't really need such a high perception since you will be doing mostly sensor perceptions and can use your EW and get more value from it.
You also have both Autos and Clubs at a pretty high level, which is a lot of points for someone that should be shooting with drones/vehicles. Granted with A skill pick you might as well, but that's why I think priority build will work better since you could drop that down to at least B and bring your stats up.
I think the point for Imp Strength is "wasted". Those are very valuable Adept points that could go into much more useful abilities.

I think a priority build with B, B, C, C, E would be good ( a lot of different ways but here are 2):
B Money, B Skills, C Magic,C Stats, E Meta (very similar to yours with one less in skills and one more in stats)
or
B Attributes,B Magic,C Skills,C Money, E Meta (for more stats and adept points but less cash and skills)
Nothing is foolproof. Fools are so ingenious.

Kuirem

• Omae
« Reply #5 on: <09-29-16/1732:13> »
Glad you like it. The idea was to use the swarm more as of a support than anything using the high meat initiative to fight, hence the high Automatics/Perception/Clubs.

You are right that Imp strength is wasted, it's just that if I would rather avoid starting with a 1 attribute.

Sum to Ten will certainly make the build easier but that's why I build in Priority, for the extra challenge and because you are sure that the character is accepted at all table.

Kuirem

• Omae
« Reply #6 on: <09-30-16/0614:56> »
Since I got so much positive feedback I decided to finish a character on the concept but with quite a different direction from this one.

I dropped the drone part and stick with vehicle and pure Adept and… Ok ok I cut it short, it's a troll biker! Can you imagine a troll on a heavily customized Yamaha Nodachi wielding a shotgun as customized and a flaming staff? That's Crash the Troll Adept Biker.

Crash has gone through a lot of go-gang but rarely stayed for long. He couldn't bear their obsession with territory, Crash is a free spirit which only wish is to drive whenever he wants. Of course it makes it kind of tricky to keep a job and it's naturally that he took the only one leaving him with enough freedom for his taste : Shadowrunner.

Priority : A - Troll; B - Skills; C - Resources; D - Adept; E - Attributes

Qualities

Gearhead
Mentor Spirit (Bat)
Practice, Practice, Practice (Pilot Ground Craft)
Vehicle Empathy

Distinctive Style : Big fragging troll in Bicker suit, pretty easy to spot in most crowd
Hobo with a Shotgun : Live from squat to squat, ain't one for those fancy house
Poor Self Control (Thrill Sicker)
Uneducated : Born from Trolls in the gutter, his education was quite limited

Attributes
BODAGIREASTRCHAINTLOGWILEDGMAG
755 (8 )5121326

This time I don't hesitate : 1 CHA, 1 LOG. It's largely justified by the troll from gutter + Uneducated though.

Skills
  • Stealth Group : Rating = 5; Pool = 9 (11)
  • Longarms (Shotguns) : Rating = 6; Pool = 11 (13)
  • Club (Staves) : Rating = 4; Pool = 9 (11)
  • Etiquette (Street) : Rating = 4; Pool = 5 (7)
  • Intimidation (Physical) : Rating = 4; Pool = 5 (7)
  • Perception (Visual) : Rating = 6; Pool = 8 (10)
  • Pilot Ground Craft (Bike) : Rating = 6; Pool = 17 (19)

Knowledge:
  • English : N
  • Sprawl Life (Squats) : 3
  • Bars and Clubs (Troll) : 1
Adept Powers
  • Attribute Boost (AGI)
  • Improved Reflexes 3
  • Improved Sense (Direction Sense)
  • Critical Strike (Clubs) : Fairly cheap bonus damage imo
  • Elemental Weapon (Fire) : I just like the idea of Elemental Weapons, flaming staff!
  • Improved Ability (Pilot Ground Craft) 2: More dice, could switch it for Combat Sense or Armor if you prefer more defense
  • Motion Sense : Free from Mentor Spirit
  • Astral Perception : From Qi Focus

Armor
Bike Racing Armor /w Nonconductivity (Rating 6), Concealed Pocket, Faraday Pocket : Not the strongest armor but sometimes you gotta respect the lore.
Bike Racing Helmet /w Gas Mask, Sound Link, Vision Enhancement (Rating 3)
Forearms Guards /w Shock Weave
Ballistic Shield /w Fire Resistance 6

Weapons
Extendable Baton
Staff /w Weapon Focus 2
Krime Boss /w Sling; Personalized Grip; Melee Hardening; Gecko Grip; Gas-Vent 3 System; Smartgun System Internal; Improved Range Finder; Flashlight, Infrared; Guncam; Hip Pad Bracing System; Custom Look

Gear
Earbuds 3 /w Select Sound Filter 1; Audio Enhancement 2
Contacts 3 /w Flare Compensation; Image Link; Smartlink
Qi Focus 4 (Astral Perception)
Bunch of other stuff (see joined pdf)

Vehicles and Drones
Yamaha Nodachi /w lots of stuff : At first I picked the Harley-Davidson Scorpion but I ended up with enough leftover cash to upgrade, yay!

Contacts
Mechanic 1 Connection, 4 Loyalty

Aria

• Ace Runner
« Reply #7 on: <09-30-16/0817:33> »
And linked to my archive  ;D
Excel Cha Generators <<CG5.26>> & <CG6.xx> v36

Kuirem

• Omae
« Reply #8 on: <09-30-16/0909:45> »
Yay I'm famous!  8)