NEWS

Seattle Sprawl : Fastjack's dirt on Samantha Villiers

• 12 Replies

belaran

• Omae
« on: <07-02-16/1055:34> »
Hi all,

[spoiler]
During the intro of the History part ("How We Got Here") of the "Ruling the Queen City" book, Bull mentioned that Fastjack dropped him a gold nugget on Samantha Villiers. Where is this gold nugget ? I could not find anything about it in the Seattle's Sprawl - is it going to be in an other source book ?
[/spoiler]

[spoiler]Side note: Happy to see that Fastjack did not simply "off himself", even if the tone of his section does not give the feeling he is ... completly in his right mind.[/spoiler]

belaran

• Omae
« Reply #1 on: <07-05-16/1322:24> »
Bumping the thread - maybe after the 4th of July, it will get more attention :)

Herr Brackhaus

• Prime Runner
« Reply #2 on: <07-05-16/1438:12> »
Any in-game dates for this? Considering Samantha Villiers is offed at some point in 2077, before (or during, can't remember) the events of the 5th Edition corporate book, the "golden nugget" could very well be set in-universe before this point in time, and thus the FastJack data may or may not be current.

The box set has been in development for a while/was announced a long time ago, so I wouldn't be surprised if there's an omission/mistake here similar to how... damn, can't remember the name; I think it was Picador who ended up dead or at least MIA in Storm Front but then returned as if nothing had happened in a 5th Edition book.
« Last Edit: <07-05-16/1444:41> by Herr Brackhaus »

Magnaric

• Chummer
« Reply #3 on: <07-05-16/1618:03> »
Not sure about Picador, but wasn't it Hard Exit that had a near-death eperience in Bogota in Storm Front, and Black Mamba was MIA down there?
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
-Wyatt Earp

belaran

• Omae
« Reply #4 on: <07-05-16/1629:46> »
OK, let's NOT turn this thread into an inventory of previous inconsistencies of the line :)

My main question was : did I miss it ? Maybe it was just a reference to the stuff in either Market Panic or Hard Target (but it reading again stuff into those guides did not really make me feel like that).

For me, it sounds like the "golden nugget" (ie the story behind the death of Samantha Villiers) is yet to be revealed (maybe left open for GM to play around or throught an upcoming product or mission).

Wakshaani

• Ace Runner
« Reply #5 on: <07-05-16/1735:34> »
No, it hasn't been revealed in a publication yet.

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #6 on: <07-07-16/0054:41> »
Hi all,

[spoiler]
During the intro of the History part ("How We Got Here") of the "Ruling the Queen City" book, Bull mentioned that Fastjack dropped him a gold nugget on Samantha Villiers. Where is this gold nugget ? I could not find anything about it in the Seattle's Sprawl - is it going to be in an other source book ?
[/spoiler]
Well, did you happen to notice that she was the "author" of that chapter?

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #7 on: <07-12-16/0921:03> »
Hi all,

[spoiler]
[/spoiler]
Well, did you happen to notice that she was the "author" of that chapter?
Also, you can imagine what it could be given that she admitted the following in that chapter:
  • She was a pre-Crash hacker on Shadowland
  • She was a member of Echo Mirage
  • She was recruited into EM by Damien Knight
  • Thomas Roxborough is responsible for the Crash of '29
  • The UCC could have prevented the Night of Rage
  • There were and may still be nuclear weapons sitting at the mouth of Puget Sound – and one "recovered" warhead was in fact used by Winternight in 2064
  • The warheads, and the Seattle region/PNW in general, only remain intact by the grace of God or "some other higher power."
  • The UCC is ready to implode/explode
You should've seen the stuff that didn't get in—and that was just all little flavor bits. Like Bac-Os. It's also circumstantial evidence as to how FastJack got any of that information in the first place. This built on material and ideas over a long, long time.
« Last Edit: <07-12-16/0929:44> by Crimsondude »

DeathStrobe

• Omae
  • Front Range Free Decker
« Reply #8 on: <07-14-16/2241:57> »
It's funny I only quickly skimmed the Seattle box set, not deep diving because I couldn't find any worthwhile updates to Seattle's Organized Crime, which is what I was interested in at the time. Anyway...

Are you saying that Samantha is Erica Rutledge? Considering that Richard killed two of the Echo Mirage team members, I wouldn't trust the guy, let alone marry him.

That or Buddy, but judging by how Buddy was described in 2XS, I find it unlikely that she'd be romantically involved with anyone, at least in meat space.

But if Samantha is Static, then that does bring up some really dark connections as she probably help off Ken Roper and Michael Eld and securing Fuchi's cyberdeck technology.

EDIT:

Reading over the section, Samantha has quite the dislike for Roxborough. Sounds like Alice Haeffner. Makes more sense that Mrs. Villiers is a head case who has contracted Alice CFD.
« Last Edit: <07-14-16/2323:42> by DeathStrobe »

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« Reply #9 on: <08-17-16/0731:43> »
"Four of the seven surviving (Echo Mirage) members went into the private sector."  Roper and Eld were two of them; Erica Rutledge may or may not have been a third.  As Chief of Hardware, it doesn't automatically follow that she was a hacker.  Consider especially that the 'members' died while in contact with the Crash Virus, and therefore must have consisted specifically of the 32 who survived (relatively sanely) the full-immersion 'boot camp'.  The 'official membership' of a team like EM would have been the hackers themselves, with what would have had to have been a massive support team behind them - technicians, computer programmers, biomonitors, physicians, psychiatrists, the whole nine yards.  (I have the Wyrm as having been a 'bridge' programmer/researcher for the backup group, someone concerned with the psychology of the actual 'Echo' virus-hunting team.)

However, I can very easily see Samantha Villiers as having stayed in the military instead of waving 'sayonara' ...

Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.

Sphinx

• Errata Team
  • Omae
« Reply #10 on: <08-17-16/1045:34> »
I think it's pretty clear that the "golden nugget" was the "How We Got Here" download itself.

Another known survivor of Echo Mirage was "Azrael" from Fade to Black by Nyx Smith.

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #11 on: <08-21-16/0914:44> »
I always saw Echo Mirage as the digital equivalent of the SEALs. Badasses within their domain, whether alone or as a team, but very restricted membership due to that, and mostly relying on the larger military structure they are part of for their base, logistics, supply, and so on.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« Reply #12 on: <08-22-16/0145:53> »
Yeah, me too - which is in part why I called the actual virus-hunting team 'Echo' and their psych support staff 'Mirage'.  In reality, of course, it'd simply be a code-name designation, with a whole chunk of people fitting in there.
Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.