NEWS

Court of Shadows

• 56 Replies

Prime Mover

• Omae
  • Prime Runners need Prime Fixers
« Reply #45 on: <07-25-16/1439:39> »
Never realize how many SR books there have actually been till you have to dig through half a dozen boxes looking for a sourcebook.

Path magic is introduced as a Seelie thing but in rules section is described as an Elven tradition.

Been awhile since visited Tir Na Nog book.
Morph seeking weapons, Ogam stones, fiery firmament spirits, druids and lots of other goodies.
On second look there are plenty of things that aren't carried over or introduced in different ways.
In the original book there is a blurring between the Nog elves and the Fae court.  Court of Shadows seems to separate them. 
Wish we would have gotten a little more then a mention of the Arcanum held by the queen.

Why do things happen the way they happen? For
all I know the world Is Just one big game and all of
our actions are determined by the roll of a die.
-  Dunkelzahn,  Great-Dragon

Prime Mover

• Omae
« Reply #46 on: <07-25-16/1449:22> »
Strong reincarnation themes associated with the Ways and the Paths.  Wheel of spirits is something the Danaan families and other elves of the Nog are said to believe strongly in.

Prime Mover

• Omae
« Reply #47 on: <07-25-16/1454:38> »
Over 7% of elves born in the Nog are magically active in some way as opposed to 1% elsewhere.

Geek the Mage(s) first!

Zar

• Chummer
« Reply #48 on: <07-25-16/1607:04> »
So why is this called an Alternate Setting?  Does the plots and culture of this book not exist in Shadowrun Canon?

Marzhin

• Omae
  • I must confess, I was born at a very early age.
« Reply #49 on: <07-25-16/1641:25> »
So why is this called an Alternate Setting?  Does the plots and culture of this book not exist in Shadowrun Canon?

I'm guessing that's because runs taking place in the faery metaplane(s) have a very different atmosphere compared to the classic Shadowrun. They prefered to play it safe by being very clear that this is much more fantasy, and not much cyberpunk (although there are ideas and suggestions to tie the Seelie Court to the usual megacorp shenanigans).
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.
(Groucho Marx)

Marzhin

• Omae
« Reply #50 on: <07-26-16/1656:29> »
Did I get it all right?

I realize that a lot of the questions I had were answered in Shadows of Europe (and probably before that in Tir Na Nog). I think I'll put together a document summing up the info that, in my opinion, should have been present at the very beginning of Court of Shadows.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.
(Groucho Marx)

Bull

• Ace Runner
  • Crotchety Old Ork Decker
« Reply #51 on: <07-26-16/1900:12> »
I also don't know how much this will tie in directly with the main game line.  Like, I don't know that you'll see plots bleeding over from it much, since everything is so tied specifically to that metaplane.

It's one of those things you can drop into and make a huge focus of your game, or you can ignore completely.

(Just my opinion and guess, as a note.  I've been a little less active with the freelancer stuff, so I'm not on top of everything, but I believe that is (or was) the plan for stuff like this.)

Sterling

• Omae
  • Dragged in by the credstick
« Reply #52 on: <07-30-16/0553:17> »
I've just finished my first read through, and on first impressions its well written, the layout works, there's only one or two grammatical errors, and there's a functional index.

As to the content, its a little overwhelming on first reading, so I will definitely have to go through it a few more times.  I'm not sure I would ever want to run or play in this setting for a full campaign, but a story or two seems an amusing idea.

My one big complaint is the lack of a pronunciation guide; in a book teeming with Gaelic a couple of pages devoted to a Glossary and pronunciation guide would seem invaluable.  As I said, this was a first read through but I'm pretty sure I didn't spot one.

Overall, it's probably of limited use to anyone devoted to the traditional Shadowrun game, but the quality of the book is encouraging for future releases.
"His name is Sterling. He’s an ex-pat Brit making a living as a fixer and a hacker in Metropole. He’s a rare blend of upstanding and fun...(so) listen to his experience."
>>Data Trails, p.82

AJCarrington

• Global Moderator
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #53 on: <08-02-16/1344:18> »
Design Files #6 is up on Tumblr and we learn a little more about the Book of Memories and Dragon faction. Plus we have a wonderful piece from Jeff Laubenstein:

:))

Marzhin

• Omae
« Reply #54 on: <10-20-16/0226:36> »
Saw the physical Court of Shadows appear in various online shops as "In Stock", so I guess that means the book is now hitting the streets :)
(Groucho Marx)

MijRai

• Ace Runner
  • Kane's Understudy
« Reply #55 on: <10-20-16/0256:16> »
I saw a hard copy in my local store's incoming bin on Monday. 
Would you want to go into a place where the resident had a drum-fed shotgun and can see in the dark?

PiXeL01

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
  • Sheltering Orks in Osaka
« Reply #56 on: <01-18-18/0804:54> »
I know this is Necro’ing of that worst sort but I was wondering whether the D.A.D. (Dragonlings After Dark) under the Comet faction is the name dropping of a danish rock band D.A.D. previously known as Disneyland After Dark only the company complained decades ago.
If Tom Brady’s a Spike Baby, what does that make Brees and Rodgers?