NEWS

Shapeshifter Armor??

• 53 Replies

firebug

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
  • Scraping the bottom of the Resonance Barrel
« Reply #45 on: <08-20-16/1839:54> »
Since shapeshifters should be developed characters, saying none of them would wear clothes or armor is...  Silly.  If you're playing one who's enough reason to be a PC, and do PC things, and isn't just "well I guess he's an animal and sometimes does human stuff" then why wouldn't they do things like wear armor?

If they can't or won't do something as basic as that, how can they possibly be playable?  They wouldn't be willing to establish human contacts through human methods.  They wouldn't be willing to go out of their way to be reachable, since why would they bother to use any human technology if armor and clothing goes against their animal instincts too much.  They would see no point in being paid in money or favors.  They'd have no reason to pay attention to human laws.  Why would they even take human form at all?

That's also unreasonable.  Monkeys and other similar animals use tools and even weapons.  You think they wouldn't wear protection in a fight if they knew how to make it fit their bodies?  Shifters are more intelligent than normal animals, regardless of their species.  Dogs have to be taught to wear clothing, yes, but that's not because it's "against their nature".  It's just an odd feeling they don't understand the reasoning for.  And they get used to it!  I've seen babies with the same kinda reaction, only they don't have the strength to just remove it.  A smarter dog, who could actually understand the legitimate reasoning behind the discomfort of armor could very quickly get used to it just like the lesser intelligent dogs can.
« Last Edit: <08-20-16/1845:00> by firebug »
I'm Madpath Moth on reddit (and other sites).  Feel free to PM me errata questions!
Jeeze.  It would almost sound stupid until you realize we're talking about an immortal elf clown sword fighting a dragon ghost in a mall.

Achsin

« Reply #46 on: <08-21-16/2323:57> »
My shapeshifter started out wearing only light armor/clothes in metahuman form because otherwise people tend to freak out, and no thought for armor in animal form because clothes are funny and armor is bulky. After being shot a few times though, armor actually started to make sense. I mean, even if you have Regeneration (which 5e shifters lack), it doesn't make getting shot any less painful.

Hobbes

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #47 on: <09-01-16/1517:23> »
@Bull
Shifters used to have Regeneration to compensate for that issue. Without it I'd guess every shifter who has been shot once will very quickly revise their stance, suppress their natural urges and try to get some armor. Learning through pain is very effective.... ::)

Yeah.  When getting your lungs ripped out was only a minor slow down, Armor didn't matter (okay slight exaggeration...).  5th Edition getting your Lungs ripped out is now really bad, combined with the fact that even regular street clothes have an armor rating. 

People don't like wearing body armor either.  It's heavy, it's hot, it's uncomfortable.  I would imagine Shifters being smart enough to realize that wearing armor when doing something dangerous is a good idea.  Just like wearing clothes to meet the Johnson is also a good idea.

I don't really have a problem with PC shifters in 5th edition because the cost/benefit is so poor it's being done for RP reasons.  I think letting the assorted combat forms have the basic tools to actually live through a firefight is a good idea.  Unless you're saying the Errata team is bringing Regen back for Shifters  8)  ?

*ahem* 

http://forums.shadowruntabletop.com/index.php?topic=24596.0

Woot, I say.  Back to Nekid shapeshifters!   :P

gilga

• Prime Runner
« Reply #48 on: <09-03-16/0024:25> »
Well a mage or adept (with adept spell magic fingers) can just done critter armor themselves.
I'd definitely get access to magic fingers if I my character was to be in a gun fight in animal form.

&#24525;

« Reply #49 on: <02-13-17/2352:42> »
After some discussion with some of my players, we came up with a homebrew option to address the issue. Similar in function to drake armor, this armor modification implements flaps and stretchy bits to adapt to the wearer's form. It has a capacity cost equal to the armor's rating divided by 3 rounded up. With more armor to move around the cost of the modification goes up as the armor rating does. This armor modification can only be applied to critter armor. The intent behind this restriction is to use the maximum armor rating for critters as a "abuse" cap.

Tell me what you think.

firebug

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
  • Scraping the bottom of the Resonance Barrel
« Reply #50 on: <02-14-17/0001:57> »
Bit of thread necromancy; though this is your own thread so it's not so bad.  Without looking into your rule suggestion, did you catch that Patrick wrote provisional errata giving Shapeshifters Regeneration again in 5th edition?
I'm Madpath Moth on reddit (and other sites).  Feel free to PM me errata questions!
Jeeze.  It would almost sound stupid until you realize we're talking about an immortal elf clown sword fighting a dragon ghost in a mall.

&#24525;

« Reply #51 on: <02-14-17/0106:02> »
Oops. Forgot to add: /necro :(

Yes firebug, I am aware of the regen.

Kiirnodel

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #52 on: <02-14-17/0140:57> »
Seems like an alright solution. Having it function as armor that "defaults" to critter armor that has some modifications to allow it to be worn by a metahuman is probably a good way to go.

The only thing to consider is the sometimes drastic change in body mass for a a shifter. Consider a vulpine shifter for example, a human transforming into a creature the size of a fox is a pretty huge change. The same goes for the size change between human and horse for an equine shifter. These kind of changes aren't just going to just need small gussets and flaps to account for the huge change in size and anatomy.

The only thing with comparing it to drake armor is that apparently drakes are still "humanoid" in shape while in their dracoform? The description of the dracoform isn't clear, but the one piece of artwork they have features a humaoid reptilian thing. I always thought that Drakes looked like small dragons in their transformed state, but the description is exceedingly vague... In any case, if they are in fact still roughly human shaped, the ability to just have armor that "allows for the slight changes in size and shape" makes a certain amount of sense. And even if the dracoform is quadrupedal and dragon-shaped, it still isn't drastically different sized than their human body. It explicitly states that they are "human-sized dragons."

So yeah, the only concern for me for the realism of Shapeshifter armor would be that huge change in body size.

Tech

• Newb
« Reply #53 on: <07-26-17/2148:12> »
I'm pretty sure shapeshifting destroys your clothes/anything you're wearing
"This Mr. Johnson wants you to pick his daughter up from preschool and is willing to pay you 8,000 nuyen a pop to do it. What do you do, Stas?"
"I shoot him with my krime gun"