NEWS

Questions about FAQ 0.3

• 24 Replies

ScytheKnight

• Ace Runner
« on: <03-31-16/0722:19> »
Yes, yes I've already read the new sections.

Noisquitoes.. lol, kinda saw that coming.  ;D

Anyway, the question I have for now is about the licenses. For areas like Augmentations and Magic is it much like with weapon categories?

EG a Headware License covers any amount of R headware. Or a Combat Formula License covers any number of Combat Spells. etc.

And.. considering how powerful they are, can't say I'm too surprised that a really tricked out cyberlimb could require 3 separate licenses, but still... wow.

I forsee my group hitting their contacts pretty hard for a whole bunch of licenses in the near future.  ;D ::)
From To<<Matrix message>>
"Speech"
Thoughts
Astral
Mentor

Teutonic Overlord

• Administrator
  • Omae
« Reply #1 on: <03-31-16/0735:35> »

Anyway, the question I have for now is about the licenses. For areas like Augmentations and Magic is it much like with weapon categories?

EG a Headware License covers any amount of R headware. Or a Combat Formula License covers any number of Combat Spells. etc.

And.. considering how powerful they are, can't say I'm too surprised that a really tricked out cyberlimb could require 3 separate licenses, but still... wow.

I forsee my group hitting their contacts pretty hard for a whole bunch of licenses in the near future.  ;D ::)

Yes, that was our intention, category licenses apply to all items in that category, unless there is an accessory from a different category which requires a license as well.  Since the entire license topic was a loaded question, we wanted to give enough detail to apply it, but not so unbelievably much it became an exercise in a ridiculous amount of paperwork.
Ray Rigel
Former Shadowrun Missions Developer and Event Coordinator
Catalyst Demo Team

ScytheKnight

• Ace Runner
« Reply #2 on: <03-31-16/0739:07> »

Yes, that was our intention, category licenses apply to all items in that category, unless there is an accessory from a different category which requires a license as well.  Since the entire license topic was a loaded question, we wanted to give enough detail to apply it, but not so unbelievably much it became an exercise in a ridiculous amount of paperwork.

All good, and seems the reasonable middle ground. Just wanted to be completely clear.
From To<<Matrix message>>
"Speech"
Thoughts
Astral
Mentor

SichoPhiend

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Chummer
« Reply #3 on: <03-31-16/0924:16> »
I have a question as well p. 62 of the FAQ "While the drones cannot be part of a PAN ... without an RCC"

I'm curious where in the rules it states that drones may only be part of an RCC PAN and not other types of PAN's?  It was my understanding that a RCC PAN was merely a specialized PAN that offered additional benefits to the drones slaved to it.
A wise man once said that with increased intelligence comes the increased capacity to feel pain.
Therefore, if ignorance is bliss, enlightenment must be pure hell.

Teutonic Overlord

• Administrator
  • Omae
« Reply #4 on: <03-31-16/0952:19> »
I have a question as well p. 62 of the FAQ "While the drones cannot be part of a PAN ... without an RCC"

I'm curious where in the rules it states that drones may only be part of an RCC PAN and not other types of PAN's?  It was my understanding that a RCC PAN was merely a specialized PAN that offered additional benefits to the drones slaved to it.

I have this question down to discuss on our next FAQ call.  I know we had a discussion about PANs and drones, but I don't remember how we came to this conclusion...or if there is a mistake when it was transferred from our Rigger 5.0 worksheet.  I know this isn't a solid answer, but thought I'd give you a response at least.
Ray Rigel
Catalyst Demo Team

Teutonic Overlord

• Administrator
  • Omae
« Reply #5 on: <03-31-16/0955:31> »
One of our Agents caught a mistake I made, which will be in next FAQ.  Page 63/64, hiring someone to modify...

In the example, the first sentence is just wrong, it should read:   If Kayless had a Loyalty 1 with Goober, it would cost 24 hours x 90¥, which is 2160¥.
Ray Rigel
Catalyst Demo Team

SichoPhiend

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Chummer
« Reply #6 on: <03-31-16/1154:03> »

I have this question down to discuss on our next FAQ call.  I know we had a discussion about PANs and drones, but I don't remember how we came to this conclusion...or if there is a mistake when it was transferred from our Rigger 5.0 worksheet.  I know this isn't a solid answer, but thought I'd give you a response at least.

Since we can't be part of the FAQ call, I thought I'd put my thoughts on it here.

Whether or not they can be protected by a commlink PAN, your answer in the FAQ is still valid, Commlinks and cyberdecks cannot normally issue orders to more than one drone at a time, hence the use of the Group Autosoft

And to be honest, my stance doesn't have a lot to go on, namely that I haven't found anything saying drones can't be part of a non-RCC PAN. as well as

Quote from: Shadowrun CRB, p. 233; Last paragraph of PANS AND WANS
Only devices can be slaves, masters, or part of a PAN.

Quote from: Shadowrun CRB, p. 269; First sentence of DRONES IN THE MATRIX
Drones are devices, so they show up in the Matrix.

The only thing I have found (And I could have easily missed something) is from

Quote from: Shadowrun CRB, p. 267; First paragraph of PANS & WANS (RIGGER STYLE)
If you want extra protection for your drones and the ability to command them all at once, you can slave them to your RCC. Your RCC can handle up to (Device Rating x 3) slaved drones, becoming the master device on that network.

Which while this suggests that an RCC can only slave drones, it does not say that drones can only be slaved to RCC's.

Plus the RCC gives its own benefits, giving orders to multiple drones, sharing autosofts and such.

Honestly I don't think that having a drone as part of a commlink or cyberdeck PAN is a problem, Neither 'links or 'decks can run autosofts for even a single drone, let alone for multiple drones.  And using the group autosoft to allow ordering of more than one drone uses up one of the drones precious few program slots.

It may seem that having several players with a drone devalues riggers, the truth is that when multiple caracters have a drone to play with, they each have to use actions to give orders to their respective drones and pray that the dog brains can coordinate well with each others drones.  While a single rigger can order more drones and better coordinate them with each other for the cost of only their own actions.
A wise man once said that with increased intelligence comes the increased capacity to feel pain.

SichoPhiend

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Chummer
« Reply #7 on: <03-31-16/2303:10> »
It was also pointed out to me that while you addressed the Ram Plate in the FAQ, it actually did get added to the table in the print edition of the book.

Slots - 1, Threshold - 8, Tools - Shop, Skill - --, Avail - 6R, Cost - Body x 250

Banshee

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #8 on: <04-01-16/0811:19> »
thanks, most of us have not seen the printed copy yet

it is a safe blanket assumption that if there is anything we provided or clarified in the FAQ that is later changed or corrected by issue of anything official by CGL (such as print copies) then the official version overrides it.
Robert "Banshee" Volbrecht
Freelancer & FAQ Committee member
Former RPG Lead Agent
Catalyst Demo Team

FasterN8

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
  • Err on the side of awesome.
« Reply #9 on: <04-01-16/1205:28> »
There's also some dangerous lack of clarity regarding the Vehicle and Drone mods section.  Let me illustrate:

Quote from: FAQ ver 0.3
Vehicle and Drone Mods
Both modifications sections are allowed. ... Note that you use drone modifications in all cases where the two sections overlap and not all vehicle modifications can be used on drones... 

I can see it now, "Wait, so I can use drone armor rules on Vehicles?!?!  Excellent, because not paying 2 or 3 slots per point of armor would be sweet!"
      I don't think you meant the mod options to be a 2-way street did you?

On a similar subject, the armor rules in the book for drones themselves is not entirely clear. 
      It says you can increase drone armor by 3 for free, but then it goes on to say that the MP required for further increase is  "equal to the increase -1"  Does that mean +4 armor costs 3 MP?  (4 - 1 = 3.  That's what it actually says, but that's the dumbest)  Maybe it means that the 4th point of armor costs me just 1 MP (free +1 = 1), or maybe it means that points 4-6 only cost 1 MP since there seems to be a 3/1 theme for armor that is mentioned in the part about the free upgrades and the part about downgrades but not here.

FasterN8

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
  • Err on the side of awesome.
« Reply #10 on: <04-01-16/1219:53> »
One more thing, I've had heated discussions on how many MP are available for drone that have no parenthetical values after them (which is a lot of them).  Some drone are listed with the full complement like 3(3) and some are listed with none like 3(0).

I won't say who, but one of us is saying that the lack of information means there's zero mod points available.  And the handsomer individual claims that that the missing info means that the default (Body = MP) is what's available.

We were very much hoping this would be cleared up in the FAQ.
« Last Edit: <04-01-16/1229:06> by FasterN8 »

Teutonic Overlord

• Administrator
  • Omae
« Reply #11 on: <04-01-16/1325:03> »
There's also some dangerous lack of clarity regarding the Vehicle and Drone mods section.  Let me illustrate:

Quote from: FAQ ver 0.3
Vehicle and Drone Mods
Both modifications sections are allowed. ... Note that you use drone modifications in all cases where the two sections overlap and not all vehicle modifications can be used on drones... 

I can see it now, "Wait, so I can use drone armor rules on Vehicles?!?!  Excellent, because not paying 2 or 3 slots per point of armor would be sweet!"
      I don't think you meant the mod options to be a 2-way street did you?

Wow, that is quite an interpretation of what the clear intent was!  Drone mods go on drones not on vehicles.  Some vehicle mods can go on drones...and if they overlap when modifying a drone, then the drone modification takes precedence.  I've added wording to the FAQ to clarify what we thought was clear.
Ray Rigel
Catalyst Demo Team

Teutonic Overlord

• Administrator
  • Omae
« Reply #12 on: <04-01-16/1329:19> »
On a similar subject, the armor rules in the book for drones themselves is not entirely clear. 
      It says you can increase drone armor by 3 for free, but then it goes on to say that the MP required for further increase is  "equal to the increase -1"  Does that mean +4 armor costs 3 MP?  (4 - 1 = 3.  That's what it actually says, but that's the dumbest)  Maybe it means that the 4th point of armor costs me just 1 MP (free +1 = 1), or maybe it means that points 4-6 only cost 1 MP since there seems to be a 3/1 theme for armor that is mentioned in the part about the free upgrades and the part about downgrades but not here.

I've added this to our talking points for the next call.
Ray Rigel
Catalyst Demo Team

Teutonic Overlord

• Administrator
  • Omae
« Reply #13 on: <04-01-16/1331:49> »
One more thing, I've had heated discussions on how many MP are available for drone that have no parenthetical values after them (which is a lot of them).  Some drone are listed with the full complement like 3(3) and some are listed with none like 3(0).

I won't say who, but one of us is saying that the lack of information means there's zero mod points available.  And the handsomer individual claims that that the missing info means that the default (Body = MP) is what's available.

We were very much hoping this would be cleared up in the FAQ.

Also added to topics
Ray Rigel
Catalyst Demo Team

Hibiki54

• Omae
« Reply #14 on: <04-02-16/0508:19> »