NEWS

Tangled Currents - Serge

• 61 Replies

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #15 on: <03-10-16/0231:10> »
Rising from his seat as the others stand, Serge says in a politic tone, "I'll certainly take what you've said under advisement."

Once they leave, he goes about the business of taking care of the patients until closing, at which point he returns to the living area loft upstairs after bidding the nurse and receptionist good evening and places a call to Doctor Stein.

(SR5) Homebrew Archetypes

Tangled Currents (Persistent): 33 Karma, 60,000 nuyen

adamu

« Reply #16 on: <03-12-16/2047:10> »
Tuesday, 19 November, 1945; Touristville, Redmond, Seattle Metroplex

Dr. Marcus Stein, chief of staff at Overlake Medical Research Center - one of the metroplex's premier healthcare facilities - was not much given to answering his own phone. But of course he kept a personal number known only to his family and closest personal associates. Serge was one of these.

"Justin, to what do I owe the pleasure? We're on speaker, Liliian is here," he said, referring to his wife of thirty-two years, "say hi Lil." "Hi Justin," came over the commline, a bit distant. Then Dr. Stein spoke again, "Finally over your lost-cause complex and ready to do some real work?"
« Last Edit: <03-16-16/1859:11> by adamu »

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #17 on: <03-13-16/0158:45> »
"I'm still running the clinic, yeah," Serge replies, "But there does seem to be some kind of an issue on that end. You know I hate asking for anything, but I'm wondering if you'd ever heard of a group calling themselves 'Redmond Reclamation Real Estate Investment Trust'. They're getting a bit strong arm over here."

He pauses for a moment before adding, "How did you guys like the anniversary gift I sent you?"

[spoiler]
Gift can be whatever, but more than likely something akin to a gift certificate for a fairly nice restaurant or perhaps a 'spa day' type deal.
[/spoiler]

adamu

« Reply #18 on: <03-15-16/1416:10> »
Tuesday, 19 November, 1946; Touristville, Redmond, Seattle Metroplex

Lillian piped up: "Oh Justin, that place really was lovely. The view of Lake Washington..."

"And the lobster...sub-orbitalled across from Maine that afternoon," added Marcus. "Damn, that's making me hungry. Justin, we haven't eaten yet, and I'm willing to bet you haven't either. Why don't you wash the gutter off yourself and come over? I'll call some real estate friends and see what I hear about your, what was it? Never mind, I'll play back the call. Just get over here quick - I'm famished."

"See you soon, Justin!" called Lillian, and the connection cut.
« Last Edit: <03-16-16/1858:21> by adamu »

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #19 on: <03-15-16/1438:38> »
Looking at the time just before the call cut, Serge says, "I'll be there as soon as I pick up Veronica. She'd never forgive me if I came without her." With that, he sends a quick message to her as he gets into the shower letting her know to be ready. After cleaning up and getting into his best suit, he heads to pick Veronica up and proceed to the Steins' residence.

[spoiler]
Not that big a deal, but they'd more likely know him by his real name than the alias.
[/spoiler]

adamu

« Reply #20 on: <03-19-16/1931:06> »
Tuesday, 19 November, 2125; Rosemont Beach, Bellevue, Seattle Metroplex

Veronica Dain was not a woman of means, but knew how to turn out well with simple clothes that complemented her fine elven features. She certainly did not appear out of place walking through the marble-tiled foyer of the Steins' Rosemont Beach home. They had both been greeted with handshakes and kisses and whisked into the smaller dining room. Lillian had taken a subdued approach to dinner - yes, catered in, but staff sent home once the meal was plated. Wine had flowed with the dinner, though no one was boorish enough to overindulge.

After dessert, Lillian whisked Veronica off to show off some new antiques she'd added to the banquet room, and Marcus invited the younger physician to his office. They sat on the leather Chesterfield and sipped brandy. Mostly they talked about a recent M&M at Overlake, with Marcus providing the behind the scenes skinny on a scandal that had left three promising young doctors - ork doctors - scrounging for patients in the Barrens. Then, as an afterthought, he said, "Oh, yes, you asked me to look into Redmond Reclamation. I called a few friends in real estate." Serge translated 'friends in real estate' into 'real estate moguls' and hoped to hear something he could use.

"They're pretty much what the name says, a REIT focused on revitalizing cheap Redmond real estate. Their sponsor is Greater Seattle Properties, which in turn is an MCT subsidiary, but I'm told they're pretty arm's length from the parent. And yes, it's Redmond, so they're doing what they have to do in some places to civilize it. Nothing beyond the norm for any corp with an eye where it should be - on the bottom line and shareholder returns. And certainly nothing illegal. Can I freshen your drink?"

Once he'd done so, he asked, "So what's your interest? Looking to invest?"

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #21 on: <03-20-16/0121:36> »
Giving a nod at the offer to freshen the drink, Serge replies after the glass is filled, "I was mainly asking about them because I got a visit from them earlier today. Tried to squeeze me for more money on the clinic to ridiculous proportions of claiming that well over twenty thousand would only be worth three days with what they're wanting to begin charging. Seemed a bit fishy at the time."

adamu

« Reply #22 on: <03-21-16/0959:30> »
Marcus chuckled. "Ouch. Well, I don't need to tell you that, since our society thankfully returned to a laissez faire stance a half century ago, the only fair price is the one that the consumer willingly pays and the supplier accepts. If they are asking that price, well, it may mean they think they can get it from someone else if they can't from you. Or they're bluffing and will take less. Or a million variations thereof. But I don't see anything fishy about it....Though actually, that REIT does have a CSR clause in their municipal operating license to do just what their name implies - they are supposed to be revitalizing the neighborhood. You've got a good argument that your service is essential to that, and you could use that. Of course, the Catch-22 is that once the revitalization succeeds, then rents go up even higher."

He swished the brandy around in the big cup. "Fact is, no one you're treating will ever produce enough to be worth the quality of care you're providing. Of course we all feel for them, but there are realities to be faced in a world of limited resources. Frankly, you solve this problem, another will arise, because by operating in that neighborhood, you're living an economic contradiction. You'd do more good for them by working for me at Overlake and sending twenty-percent of what you can make there to a good medical non-profit."

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #23 on: <03-21-16/1401:39> »
Chuckling as he takes a sip of brandy, Serge says, "I have considered it at times, mainly when it seems like I'm shoulder deep in blood from GSWs, but then I see the little kids that come in, and I'm reminded why I entered medicine in the first place."

He leans back a bit and says, "I did have a thought though. Perhaps there is a way to help Overlake and the clinic at the same time. I wonder what the board would think of another tax write-off through giving a bit of support over there."

adamu

« Reply #24 on: <03-21-16/1520:17> »
Tuesday, 19 November, 2300; Rosemont Beach, Bellevue, Seattle Metroplex

"Taxes. The enemy of all productive men. Well, you are indefatigable, I'll give you that. I'll talk to some key members of the board tomorrow. Now, billiards?"

The ladies rejoined them, but declined to join in. All too soon the evening was over and Serge was walking with Veronica to his Honda. "Night's young, lover..." she said.

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #25 on: <03-21-16/1538:10> »
Opening the passenger door for Veronica, Serge says in response, "That it is. What do you say we go out for some dancing for the rest of the evening?"

adamu

« Reply #26 on: <03-23-16/1858:28> »
Tuesday, 19 November, 2300; Rosemont Beach, Bellevue, Seattle Metroplex

Veronica's eyes went slightly wider. "Ooh - you usually work so hard, I was just thinking of your place and a...snuggle. But if you're up for a club...first...then lead on, soldier. I know a great place just down in Vasa Park."

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #27 on: <03-26-16/1139:57> »
Reaching over to slide his arm around her shoulders, he he gives a grin and says, "Then let's go to Vasa Park."

"After that, it's either your place or mine," he adds giving her a quick kiss while the car's pilot drives.

adamu

« Reply #28 on: <03-26-16/1844:49> »
Tuesday, 19 November, 2355; Tiger Tiger, Vasa Park, Bellevue, Seattle Metroplex

The drive had been quick, and they'd only had to wait twenty minutes or so before someone pulled them out of the line and bumped them up to the front - it hadn't hurt that Veronica had brightened the red of her lips, darkened the cast of her eyes, teased out her hair, and ditched the blouse in favor of a bra/jacket combo while they made their way south. Serge checked his Colt with no hassle at all, and they'd hit the dance floor with a gusto. Once they were good and sweaty, the found a booth and Serge went for drinks.

A man was next to him. Serge couldn't recall if he'd approached, or already been there. He was human, medium height, medium build. He wore a suit - nice, but casual enough that it didn't seem out of place here in the club. He looked maybe thirty, but didn't most people, these days? He leaned in a did a good job of making himself heard over the relentless music. "I've been waiting for a chance to speak with you. Thought it would be rude to come to the clinic, and didn't want to disturb your lady friend. So here we are, standing at a noisy bar."

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #29 on: <03-26-16/2055:35> »
After finishing up placing the drink orders, Serge turns to the man and says, "What is it you're needing, then? If it were medical treatment, I'd have to think that you could come to the clinic."