NEWS

[4th]Sustaining focus and touch spell

• 3 Replies

Sean Ashcroft

• Newb
« on: <08-10-15/0524:05> »
Hello !

I was thinking about using a sustaining focus, with a touch spell, for example increase reflexes on a mundane character. Is it even possible?

If yes, who keeps the focus ? The mundane character?

farothel

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <08-10-15/0708:07> »
you can indeed cast that spell on a mundane, but it is the caster who has to sustain the spell, so he/she keeps the focus.  Be careful, as spells only work in line of sight, so if you cast it on someone else, this someone has to stay in your line of sight.
"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett
"I will not yield to evil, unless she's cute"

CitizenJoe

• Ace Runner
« Reply #2 on: <08-10-15/1633:35> »
I thought it had to be attached to the target.

Top Dog

• Ace Runner
« Reply #3 on: <08-10-15/1732:43> »
The focus is kept on the owner. To be active, foci need to be on the person they're bound to (see "Activating a focus", p199, SR4 20th).

It works like normally sustaining a spell (which doesn't require touch either), except it's now the bound focus doing the sustaining.

I'm not entirely sure about SR4, but the sustaining rules don't mention needing LoS. Spells normally only require LoS on casting (and only if it's, well, a LoS spell, not a touch spell); I don't see why you would need to sustain LoS after casting, especially for a touch spell.