NEWS

FAQ v1.4

• 12 Replies

Kincaid

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« on: <07-27-15/1544:58> »
A quick question regarding the price of dongles.  The price in Data Trails should be (Rating^2)*3000, not (Rating*2)*3000.  Is the lower price in the FAQ correct for Missions?
Killing so many sacred cows, I'm banned from India.

The Masked Ferret

• Chummer
  • CDT Special Agent
« Reply #1 on: <07-27-15/1634:20> »
You may want to point the link in Missions Legal Sourcebooks -- Running List to the new FAQ
SpeechThoughtMatrix/E-mail/TextingAstralSub-vocal

prionic6

• Chummer
« Reply #2 on: <07-27-15/1758:28> »
Just for reference, jackiepaper (who apparently was part of the writing team for Data Trails) wrote this at http://forums.shadowruntabletop.com/index.php?topic=14812.msg374070#msg374070

And yeah, the pricing for commlink gears is meant to be squared. I don't know why they didn't use superscript (though it may have to do with superscript being set aside for footnotes markers).

Teutonic Overlord

• Administrator
  • Omae
« Reply #3 on: <07-27-15/1808:46> »
Squared, not double, this information was not known to me when the FAQ was drawn up and sent for approval.  It was not caught in approval, so it will be corrected.
Ray Rigel
Former Shadowrun Missions Developer and Event Coordinator
Catalyst Demo Team

Belker

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
  • The Butcher
« Reply #4 on: <07-27-15/2104:47> »
Squared? Aha!
"Dog says to always wear your seatbelts, kiddies."
Missions Freelancer (CMP 2015 - The Tennessee Suite 1-4)

Sterling

• Omae
  • Dragged in by the credstick
« Reply #5 on: <08-04-15/1505:28> »
Can someone please explain to me why the Negative Quality "Paraplegic" is banned for Missions games?

I admit to having a vested interest in this answer, considering I am wheelchair bound in real life.

Can't believe it's because it falls into:

some qualities simply cannot come into play or be enforced

so I would appreciate knowing.
"His name is Sterling. He’s an ex-pat Brit making a living as a fixer and a hacker in Metropole. He’s a rare blend of upstanding and fun...(so) listen to his experience."
>>Data Trails, p.82

Bull

• Ace Runner
  • Crotchety Old Ork Decker
« Reply #6 on: <08-04-15/1736:30> »
Ray is revamping the FAQ, so some things may change.  But mainly, it's because in a home game, the GM can design adventures are characters that may have qualities like this.  But Missions cannot.  There will be times when the runners need to go somewhere where someone who is not mobile cannot go.  Or a place where a parapalegeic decker can't reach because it's cut off from the matrix.  Or an astral dead zone so a mage can't project.  And we do not want to force a player to not be able to participate in potentially a large portion of an adventure because of a character attribute he chose.

Sterling

• Omae
  • Dragged in by the credstick
« Reply #7 on: <08-05-15/0423:14> »
Thanks for responding, Bull.

I can appreciate the thinking behind the ruling, but one would hope that a player who chooses such a Negative Quality expects to be excluded from some parts of the game.  However I can see that the decision was originally made in good faith.

It just struck me as odd that one could play a Blind character, but not a Paraplegic.

Again, thanks.
"His name is Sterling. He’s an ex-pat Brit making a living as a fixer and a hacker in Metropole. He’s a rare blend of upstanding and fun...(so) listen to his experience."
>>Data Trails, p.82

Mara

• Ace Runner
« Reply #8 on: <08-05-15/0444:30> »
Ray is revamping the FAQ, so some things may change.  But mainly, it's because in a home game, the GM can design adventures are characters that may have qualities like this.  But Missions cannot.  There will be times when the runners need to go somewhere where someone who is not mobile cannot go.  Or a place where a parapalegeic decker can't reach because it's cut off from the matrix.  Or an astral dead zone so a mage can't project.  And we do not want to force a player to not be able to participate in potentially a large portion of an adventure because of a character attribute he chose.

So..Vehicle Control Rigs and Rigger Control Consoles are banned because a Rigger is useless if there is not a section involving a vehicle
chase, or if something is blocking his transmission to his drones, and it is not fair to make a Rigger sit out the game when there is nothing
he can do?

Frankly, a parapalegic decker is going to require some work to get to work, sure, but..RFID tags or signal repeaters in some areas will do
wonders for working around the Decker cannot get access to the Matrix in a location. Also, hey..you know, that is what having someone able
to carry the Decker up those stairs is for, or other creative uses. I mean, it is a fairly high point disadvantage, afterall, so it is g0oing to, you
know, be a disadvantage.

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #9 on: <08-05-15/0750:11> »
You are missing the point Mara.

While an individual GM can work with his players, and account of such negative qualities (or he could ban them too, as all positive and negative qualities are still under GM permission.) The Mission writers can not design a mission for every possible combination of archtype coupled with every possible PQ/NQ combination.... and some negative qualities are very hindering.

Then you add in the fact that at Missions play, you generally don't know your fellow players or GM. If you allowed everything, you would/could end up with even more.... how to say this diplomatically?

"More whiny, pissy 'special snowflakes' that whine, cry, stomp their feet and scream at the GM to change everything so their little snowflake isn't left out" assholes disrupting everyone else's time and enjoyment.

Don't believe me? There are more then a few threads here that point to attitudes of this level even with the restictions. Imagine how much worse it would be if they didn't place some limitations.

Sometimes, things have to be cut to promote more unity and structure for everyone's enjoyment, even if it seems a little insensitive. (And for you Sterling, I can totally get your curiosity as to why they cut that NQ for missions play)

I have often stated that I don't play missions. And that is not because I don't think they are good, or I hate the limits they place. Its because I tried it 3 times for 4e.

One (IRL) broken nosed to a snowflake ended one game 30 minutes in. (Boy that felt really, REALLY good!!!)
One game ended in a screaming match between 2 players.
One game end with the GM saying "Fuck you all, I'm outta here!" And we went for beers to discuss the (in the politest way) fucking self centered douche bags that made him walk out half way through the run.

So yea. I don't play missions because the 3 times I have tried, have ended in police charges and wasted time thanks to douchebag snowflakes.... and all 3 times were with different people.

So I totally get why they place limits on builds and qualities. Maybe it will help stop people from having MY experience with missions play.
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

Dinendae

• Ace Runner
« Reply #10 on: <08-19-15/0448:03> »
Can someone please explain to me why the Negative Quality "Paraplegic" is banned for Missions games?

I admit to having a vested interest in this answer, considering I am wheelchair bound in real life.

Can't believe it's because it falls into:

some qualities simply cannot come into play or be enforced

so I would appreciate knowing.

Right now, there's no way (that I have seen) to work around that negative quality for SR5 Missions play. One of my favorite characters in SR4 Missions was a dronomancer with that quality, that I had based off of Ayase Shinomiya from the anime Guilty Crown, and had that quality. However I made sure that I did everything I could to minimize any impact the negative quality would have on the actual game, such as having her wheelchair modified with walker legs.

Until we get comprehensive rigger options that can allow you to work around that negative quality, so that the Mission play wouldn't be disrupted, it'll probably stay banned. Although I really like the Missions (the ones with bugs, not so much), most of them take things like character mobility for granted when they're written. Of course comprehensive rigger stuff is widely regarded as a sign of that edition's apocalypse, so that might not be as helpful as you may think!  ;D

CitizenJoe

• Ace Runner
« Reply #11 on: <08-22-15/1356:54> »
I suspect a lot of the douchebaggery can be alleviated if at the start of a Missions season, a pregen suggested team was provided.  This makes for a faster game start and gives players/GMS an idea of what sort of team that Season was geared towards.  Players don't HAVE to use the pregens, but they are a good baseline for measuring snow flakiness.

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #12 on: <08-22-15/1428:50> »
I have no problems with pregens both used as characters and as a baseline. And I have no problems with people wanting "oringinal, unique" characters.

But there are many ways to set yourself a part from the hurd, without being a headache and jerk to your fellow players and GMs. I blame the crpg industry. (Just because I can!). It has lead to the rise of a feeling of annonyimity when being a douche. And this carries over from some of those players to the table, where they have to actually socially interact with others.

And some of these people forget that the person sitting across from them might take physical offense to their behavior :( Others wonder and whine why they have been banned from games at hobby shops.

(Both hobby shops in town offer a room for rent for gaming... and both have a "wall of shame" of people banned from playing. Many of the names are the same. Go figure.)
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.