NEWS

[IC] New Beginnings-Horizon

• 1507 Replies

Crossbow

• Prime Runner
« on: <04-30-14/2323:14> »
   Working the shadows is a strange creature, it is a bit like having monkey on your back.  Even when you are flush and the work is coming in, you are always thinking about what comes next, where is the next job coming from and is your rep is as secure as it needs to be?  Will any of this matter if I catch a bullet tonight? These are thoughts rolling, at varying degrees, through the minds of each of the runners that just had a New Beginning.

On the low end,  one of their number could really care less.  His personal life and quests being more than enough to occupy a technomancer’s mind.  With his latest sweeps failing to bear fruit, he returns awareness to the meat with the vaguely burnt smelling shotgun-shaped paperweight beginning to overcome the other questionable odors of his flop, and realizes he needs to stay alive if he is going to be any use to anyone.

At the other end of the spectrum, another is about to explode into a million pieces if he doesn’t get a job soon.  He done every maintenance check he can on his gear, and with the Fists lying low he hasn’t pulled a trigger on a live round in DAYS, two to be exact, even Zen isn’t scratching the itch.

Somewhere between these extremes, the more stable individuals have managed to keep things in perspective.  It would seem the effort of maintaining a balance is rewarded, as Samantha Delavine receives a call from a friend in LA.

Melissa Firebird seems strangely excited, “I found you a JOB!” she says, and as Sammy tries to explain again she is not doing any acting projects now, Melissa shushes her and continues in an urgent whisper, “NO!  A SHADOW JOB!”

Melissa explains that there is a guy she knows named Slade that is in Seattle and he needs some locals to handle some business that might get a little rough.  “Get your crew and meet the guy at a place called the Gray Line for a meet at 5. “  Her friend seems a little giddy about the ‘shadowtalk’ she is using.  “OOO! Does this mean I’m a Ms Jamison or a whatchacallit... ‘tinkerer’?”

farothel

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <05-01-14/0726:27> »
"The official term is Johnson," Sammy said with a sigh.  Since she was in the shadows she sometimes found Mellissa's giddyness tiring, but still, a job was a job.
"I'll have to contact my 'team'," she said, "The name Slade rings a bell, but I'm not sure from where.  Who is he again?   And do you have any idea on what the job is?"

While asking that she already sent a message to all the people of the 'mountain' crew she had commlink numbers from to warn them of a potential job with more details to follow.
"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett
"I will not yield to evil, unless she's cute"

Thvor

• Omae
« Reply #2 on: <05-01-14/1057:17> »
Sam was on his way back from Two-Fingers' shop when his commlink chirped at him to indicate that he had a new message--and then started playing what sounded like a troll singing lounge. Letting go of the wheel--the car was driving itself, but he liked to look the part--he pulled the comm out and tried to turn the music off. After a while, he gave up and looked at the message instead. Huh, the actress has a line on a job? Could be fun, he thought to himself. He sent a reply to let her know he was in, and then turned back to the wheel. The music wasn't that bad, he decided.
Colors: Speech Thoughts Matrix Astral

Like sci-fi/fantasy? Check out my wife's books!

Necrogigas

• Ace Runner
« Reply #3 on: <05-01-14/2040:31> »
O'Connor, for lack of anything better to do, was at Darrell's shop making a general nuisance of himself when he got Sammy's message, "Huh, wouldn't've expected her to be the one that lined up a job. I ain't about to complain though." Darrell's relief was evident, "Oh thank god, you gotta job. So get outta my shop 'n' go bother someone else!" The dwarf then practically shoved O'Connor out the door and slammed it in his face. O'Connor yelled in mock hurt, "I give you the gift of my company and this is the thanks I get?" Darrell's only reply was a shotgun blast though the gun port in the door that hit a trashcan a quarter-meter to the right of O'Connor. O'Connor scoffed, "You never could hit the broadside of a troll." He did, however, leave before Darrell actually aimed at him.
« Last Edit: <05-02-14/0052:11> by Necrogigas »
"Speech" *Thought* <Matrix> ~Astral~

Characters

HydroRaven

• Prime Runner
« Reply #4 on: <05-01-14/2346:03> »
Clem was talking to Dino when her commlink informed her she had a message. She politely excused herself before going out of the greasy diner and reading the message. "A job? Yeah, why not" thought the ork. She looked at the other recipients and let out a little sigh before going back into the diner and continuing her conversation with Dino.
Self thought
Speech
Matrix

Crossbow

• Prime Runner
« Reply #5 on: <05-05-14/1336:58> »
"You probably remember him from that bit you did for Karl Kombatmage, an elf who dresses like an Old West Cowboy.  He does prop work for a lot of directors who want authenticity in their trids instead of coding the details in later.  I think the job is doing security, what I heard was 'Need guys to stand around and be tough, easy money.'  That sounds good right?"  Melissa says.

Your own memory correlates this, the reason he seemed familiar is he supposedly did some smuggling on the side.  You had forgotten the cowboy thing though.

farothel

• Prime Runner
« Reply #6 on: <05-05-14/1405:14> »
"Now I remember," Sammy said to her friend, while checking her messages, "I already have three who have replied, so you can tell him he has a crew.  I hope to get something back from our hacker, so we can have some matrix security as well, but if really necessary we can go without him.  And one of the guys who replied can easily do the 'looking tough', although I probably will have to give him a crash course in eating with silverware.  But I'll manage.  So, how are things in Tinseltown?"

While chatting with her friend, she opened up another window and looked up the information about the Grey Line restaurant.  She sent the link to the others and told them to be there at 17.00 and to make sure they were dressed appropriately.  She also said them the job was probably something security related for a guy who worked for a trid.

"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett

Crossbow

• Prime Runner
« Reply #7 on: <05-05-14/1755:43> »
Straight out of Seattle 2072 p 52:

The Gray Line

Pier 63

Located out past and below the pier, this restaurant sits in Puget
Sound, so that at high tide the water covers the glass-walled lower
dining area completely. Buried spotlights provide a soft glow, making
various marine animals, like sea lions and otters, visible through the
windows. Naturally, the Gray Line specializes in seafood. Try the oysters
and the king crab legs in particular.

> The Gray Line is infamous for an armed robbery that took place there back
in ’49. Two unidentified ork gunmen held up the patrons. When they got into
a gun battle with Lone Star, stray shots shattered one of the glass retaining
walls, and the lower level of the restaurant flooded. The gunmen and their loot,
including jewelry valued at a total of 100,000 Nuyen, were swept out into the
Sound. They were never found, although some divers still poke around the area
in hopes of turning up buried treasure.
> Khan-A-Saur
[/i]

HydroRaven

• Prime Runner
« Reply #8 on: <05-06-14/0552:06> »
Another message came in, not long after the first one. She excused herself once more, reading the contents before sitting back down with Dino. "I have to go now, Dino. The next one is on me and we'll finish this some other day" said the ork as she got up and went to the bartender to make arrangements for their tab. She hopped on her bike and went back to her place, bringing her running gear with her. "Appropriate means ready to go at the drop of a hat" thought the woman as she sheathed her sword after a quick inspection.

Once everything was satisfactory, she set out, arriving 15 minutes before she was supposed to. She parked her ride not far from the restaurant, just in case. She then waited for anyone she recognized, propped against her bike.
Self thought
Speech
Matrix

farothel

• Prime Runner
« Reply #9 on: <05-06-14/0725:11> »
Sammy had taken a cab to the restaurant.  She had looked up the node and had dressed in appropriate clothing.  Nothing too fancy, but just some nice pants and matching armoured vest that indicated she belonged in this neighbourhood, but still didn't leave her completely defenseless.  As mage she didn't need much in the way of gear, so she had just brought her taser for basic, legal, defense and of course her foci.  But as those looked like jewelry to the unawakened, she could wear it without drawing attention.  She did wear a respirator as she didn't want to be caught out like in the barrens.  Sometimes she could still feel the dust in her throat.  She had also brought her white noise generator, in case conversation turned confidential.

Upon arriving, a bit more than 10 minutes early, she spotted Clem standing next to a bike.  After paying the cabbie, she walked over.
"Hey, how are you doing," she asked.

HydroRaven

• Prime Runner
« Reply #10 on: <05-06-14/1100:14> »
Clem, seeing Sammy, bowed and said "Thank you for the message." She then smiled at her, asking "Who else is coming?"
Self thought
Speech
Matrix

farothel

• Prime Runner
« Reply #11 on: <05-06-14/1304:31> »
"So far I've had a message from Sam and O'Connor," Sammy replied, "I hope to get a message from Fionn as well, as we might need matrix security.  And I hope you can help tome in O'Connor a bit.  I'll try to teach him to eat with silverware, but I can't start lobbing stunbolts all over the place."

HydroRaven

• Prime Runner
« Reply #12 on: <05-06-14/1328:49> »
Clem quickly answered "You can try and tame a wild boar, but you'll never domesticate it." She let that sink in and continued with "I can try and keep him distracted, but I can't guarantee anything." The ork paused for a moment before changing subject. "How do you know the Johnson?"
Self thought
Speech
Matrix

farothel

• Prime Runner
« Reply #13 on: <05-06-14/1413:32> »
"I've seen him a couple of times in LA," Sammy said, "he's known there as the guy to go to when you want real props instead of adding things in digitally.  A friend of mine in LA called me to say he needed some local people.  I guess it's either finding something he needs or guarding something he has."

Necrogigas

• Ace Runner
« Reply #14 on: <05-06-14/1501:26> »
A few minutes under ten til the meet, O'Connor pulled into the Gray Line parking lot. He parked near the two ork women. He got out and greeted the two, "How goes it ladies?" Having a lack of variety in his wardrobe, O'Connor dressed in his best consisted of a solid black t-shirt, jeans, black boots, and his armored jacket decked out in studs, spikes, and chains. At least his clothing didn't appear to be frayed, faded or stained, but that was all it had going for it. The lack of finer clothing probably wasn't much of a surprise, but what was surprising was that the only readily visible weapon on him was a knife tucked in his boot. A keen eye would notice the bulges in the sleeves of his jacket where pistols lay hidden .
« Last Edit: <05-06-14/2232:28> by Necrogigas »
"Speech" *Thought* <Matrix> ~Astral~

Characters