NEWS

Campaign idea based on the XBox SR game

• 19 Replies

Marzhin

• Omae
  • I must confess, I was born at a very early age.
« on: <08-24-12/1950:24> »
OK, don't shoot me. I know that game was disappointing (to be polite) and quite different from the PnP game. However I was recently collecting some concept arts produced for it and I was thinking its "storyline" (if such a word can be used here) was actually quite fitting into the Artifact Rush metaplot.

For the record, the game was taking place in 2031 in Santos, Brazil. The discovery of an ancient pyramid below the city started a conflict between two groups : the Lineage, a bunch of local guerrilleros (hinted to be controlled by one or more Immortal Elves) and RNA Global, a megacorporation (actually a subsidiary of ORO / Aztechnology). Both groups want to get their hands on some ancient artifacts hidden inside the pyramid. RNA Global tried to bring another artifact to the site and it triggered a magical reaction (a.k.a. "a big explosion") - that's where I was reminded of Artifacts Unbound.

Mind you, none of this actually matters in the game since there's no in-game storytelling whatsoever :p

So I was thinking about writing a fan-made campaign setting centered around Santos and its artifacts for my website. But obviously the material from the video game cannot be used as is, especially since the 2072 Brazil is part of Amazonia and therefore a subsidiary of Aztechnology would certainly not be able to set up offices there (especially since in the canonical universe Santos is part of Metrópole, one of the biggest cities of Amazonia).

So currently I'm thinking of something like this:

- The pyramid is something from the Fourth World. No problem there.
- RNA Global would not be a subsidiary of Aztechnology, but a local megacorp that is actually a sort of "mole" for the Azzies.
- RNA Global somehow managed to get a contract to study the pyramid, but their efforts are hindered by the "Lineage". Right now I'm not sure which one of the IE would be behind the Lineage.
- Several mayors of Metrópole are competing to control the pyramid. RNA and the Lineage have agents in the mayors' offices and trying to pull the strings.
- There's also an Ork paramilitary organization involved that was accused by RNA of bombing the pyramid, which was actually done by RNA themselves. These guys are just mentionned in the manual of the game, and AFAIK their organization isn't even named (I'm still collecting the texts from the game's old website). The Orks would play a bigger role in the campaign setting, and would be seeking revenge againt the corp. I think they could be in cahoots with a Dragon.

If you guys have suggestions or advices, I'm all ears :)
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.
(Groucho Marx)

Henzington

• Omae
  • Stun rounds+Edge=Lethal
« Reply #1 on: <08-25-12/0001:25> »
I think bad would be generous on the plus side its doubtful any of group played the game :) so no problem in stealing from it.
Whenever I am at a loss for I should do, I ask myself what would Michael Weston do?

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« Reply #2 on: <09-10-12/2059:16> »
Bare bones can be good - and what you have is plenty good.

For what it's worth, I like the SR XBox game - just because I like running around and shooting elves and trolls and humans and dwarves.  I still haven't gotten past 1 me vs. 8 lower-level guys, but hey, that's why it's just plain fun-and-games.
Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.

Ethan

• Omae
« Reply #3 on: <09-12-12/1135:58> »
I'm giving you a +1 just for going through the game's backstory and for potentially salvaging it somewhat.

I like the Orks there, plenty of possibilities even without tying them with a dragon.

Marzhin

• Omae
« Reply #4 on: <09-12-12/1901:07> »
Yeah the Orks/Dragon thing is probably a bit too much. That being said, I'm pretty sure the big lizards would find a way to get involved and get the artifacts or pyramid for themselves.

I finished compiling all the art and texts of the game, and it seems the Orks were part of a group called the Resurgence (resurgence of what? that's a good question). After RNA Global accused them of being responsible of the "bombing" of the pyramid (and subsequent landslide that destroyed half of the city), Orks as a whole are not welcomed in Santos (it's basically how they explain why Orks are not available as a playable race in the game).

I've also did a lot of reading about Santos and the city has quite an history. I can see why the developers chose it for the game (even if in the end they used almost nothing of its potential).

For now I'm having a big debate with myself. Should I...
1. treat the events of the game as having actually happened back in 2031 (it has the advantage of not retconning too much but create a load of problems due to the huge gap between the RNA/Lineage conflict and the SR4 era)
or
2. keep only the pitch of the video game and move the whole thing to the 2070s (more work for me, but it would probably work better in the end).

What do you think?

Oh and here's a little sneak peek of the fake cover I did for the project :)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.
(Groucho Marx)

shrike

• Chummer
  • The rep is dead. Long live the rep.
« Reply #5 on: <09-12-12/1913:34> »
Nice cover, and number 2. This gives you the advantage of using the information in any other games you run. (The same could be said for 2050 I suppose, but I like the 2070's, so that's my vote.) Also, you could keep the background by having the pyramid appear in 2061 during the insanity that the comet brought. Just my two nuyen.
Imar heron. Imar raen. Imar semeraerth. Imar milessaratish. Miriat tela li? Thiesat tekio tore li?

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« Reply #6 on: <09-12-12/2030:09> »
Marzhin ... I think you should put a proposal together and send it in.  It might actually be workable ... especially if the XBox background stuff is able to be licensed back to Catalyst or whatever.

Simply put, I think you could put this together really well.
Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.

Marzhin

• Omae
« Reply #7 on: <09-13-12/0943:59> »
Thanks for the vote of confidence Wyrm :)

Although I'm pretty sure getting the rights to this setting from Microsoft would be a bit too complicated, especially for such a small supplement. Not to mention I wouldn't feel confident enough with my writing skills to propose my prose to CGL just like that ^^

But who knows, maybe if this thing turns out well it could be a good training and "business card" ;)
(Groucho Marx)

Longshot23

• Omae
« Reply #8 on: <09-14-12/0310:24> »
A thought: if you consider the events of the game to have happened in 2031 or so, said events could have been among the motivations for Hualpa, Sirrurg et al. to take control and transform Brazil into Amazonia (in 2034). There does seem to be enough room for both, given the relative little published about SR South America.

Marzhin

• Omae
« Reply #9 on: <06-02-15/1908:50> »
Topic Necromancy! Yay :)

A while ago, I've started working on a project to adapt the setting of the 2007 Shadowrun video game (the FPS) to the tabletop game, making it compatible with the canon of the game. I started working on that back during SR4A, then got sidetracked by real life. I've decided to get back to it, but this time for SR5.

Right now there's only a provisional Table of Contents, but I'll post updates here as I move forward, so if you feel like it don't hesitate to tell me what you think :)

It'll be hosted on my website, here: http://fondationdraco.fr/artifacts-rush-santos/
(Groucho Marx)

Marzhin

• Omae
« Reply #10 on: <06-03-15/1014:04> »
I started putting some actual content on the website:

- City of the Saints
- History of Santos

I put together the history of Santos from various sources, some of them in Portuguese, and translated the best I could. All feedback is welcome :)

Edit: I've uploaded another page:

- Santos in the Sixth World.

Enjoy (hopefully) :)

http://fondationdraco.fr/artifacts-rush-santos/
« Last Edit: <06-03-15/1324:53> by Marzhin »
(Groucho Marx)

Marzhin

• Omae
« Reply #11 on: <06-05-15/1643:39> »
I've added two new pages:

- The Shadow War
- Santos today

It concludes the first chapter of this campaign setting :)

http://fondationdraco.fr/artifacts-rush-santos/
(Groucho Marx)

Bruce

• Newb
« Reply #12 on: <06-16-15/0602:11> »
It looks very good.  One caveat: I don't think Sirrug's exact fate is generally known.  Other than that, this is a well thought out stolen...errr. expropropriated....err... researched setting for all sorts of shadow mischief.  Two thumbs up.

Marzhin

• Omae
« Reply #13 on: <06-18-15/1557:05> »
Thanks for the feedback, it's much appreciated :)
Also good point about Sirrurg's current fate, I'll rephrase that bit.
(Groucho Marx)

cyclopean

• Chummer
« Reply #14 on: <06-24-15/0101:44> »
Website's looking good! I'm excited to see where you go with this. Great cover, also. I've been wanting to do more in Amazonia in my campaign, this is getting me thinking...