NEWS

Emergence - What's Happening to the TMs?

• 27 Replies

Aria

• Ace Runner
« on: <02-15-12/1543:54> »
I'm currently running an Emerging pbp, I've got the Emergance campaign and shockwave...aside from these has there subsequently been much said about TMs, and the persecution of them, the registration act etc...?  There's perhaps something in the timeline in the Almanac but other than that it seems to have gone quiet on this thread?

If you could point me in the direction of relevant info that would be great!
« Last Edit: <02-15-12/1633:06> by Aria »
Excel Cha Generators <<CG5.26>> & <CG6.xx> v36

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #1 on: <02-15-12/2005:52> »
The hysteria died down once everyone realized that they weren't all insane people out to crash the Matrix. MCT, NeoNET, and others still do experiments on them that would be called 'horrific' or 'ethically questionable' or 'crimes against humanity' at the best of times. In public, technomancers are treated much like mages. Some people fear them, the ones who live legit have to register, and there are still people looking to find 'test subjects'.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

Aria

• Ace Runner
« Reply #2 on: <02-16-12/0800:45> »
Well I'm sure nobody will mind if I take a slightly bleaker view on the state of affairs  :-\

I like the idea of them being actively persecuted by the general populace, not just the evil corps.  Human history is chock full of scapegoats, and the fact that they look like everyone else makes it all the more interesting!

Witch hunt time!!!

Ragnarok

• Omae
« Reply #3 on: <02-16-12/0948:23> »
The hysteria died down once everyone realized that they weren't all insane people out to crash the Matrix. MCT, NeoNET, and others still do experiments on them that would be called 'horrific' or 'ethically questionable' or 'crimes against humanity' at the best of times. In public, technomancers are treated much like mages. Some people fear them, the ones who live legit have to register, and there are still people looking to find 'test subjects'.

If you've read the TM section of Unwired, then you'll get a vibe on what some of the reaction of TMs from Clockwork and Netcat.
"More human than human" is our motto.
- Tyrell, Bladerunner

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #4 on: <02-16-12/1251:10> »
There are those who do witch hunts against the TMs. Just like there are those who do witch hunts against mages. Just like there are those who do witch hunts against metahumans. Just like there are those who do witch hunts against changelings. There is plenty of discrimination out there.

I would read Unwired though, if I were you. Clockwork's reaction is the extreme. Most people, however, would fall into the category of others who range from acceptance to mistrust, but not outright hatred. Taking Clockwork as an example of what the general public feels about TMs is like taking a KKK member as an example of what the general public feels about black people.

My Characters

Bruce

• Newb
« Reply #5 on: <02-16-12/1855:57> »
After the initial shock, hysteria, etc, I think technomancers would be regarded much like mages, with slightly more distrust due to certain powerful entities not anticipating the emergence of TMs.

And once the potential profit of employing TMs started coming out, then the tension would drop even more.

Aria

• Ace Runner
« Reply #6 on: <02-17-12/0807:14> »
I would read Unwired though, if I were you. Clockwork's reaction is the extreme. Most people, however, would fall into the category of others who range from acceptance to mistrust, but not outright hatred. Taking Clockwork as an example of what the general public feels about TMs is like taking a KKK member as an example of what the general public feels about black people.
I understand your argument but I think the reaction to TMs is likely to be much more like the hunt for communists in the US during the cold war...after all, black people (or other racial group) don't actively threaten your way of life...TMs (or so the hype goes) caused the crash and have the potential to bring the world down around your ears - I would think that would be more likely to sustain a general negative perception of them?!?

Ragnarok

• Omae
« Reply #7 on: <02-17-12/1006:04> »
I understand your argument but I think the reaction to TMs is likely to be much more like the hunt for communists in the US during the cold war...after all, black people (or other racial group) don't actively threaten your way of life...TMs (or so the hype goes) caused the crash and have the potential to bring the world down around your ears - I would think that would be more likely to sustain a general negative perception of them?!?

At least Netcat, Inbus, and other TMs have dispelled that perception on Jackpoint.
- Tyrell, Bladerunner

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #8 on: <02-17-12/1718:06> »
Plus, the hype was quickly revealed as just hype, as technomancers began showing what the corps were doing to them. Then AIs burst on the scene, and Pulsar wowed everyone. Horizon made a concerted media effort to dispel the hype that technomancers were the boogeyman, and people came to their senses. What you're talking about was indeed the general feeling in '71, but after people started thinking instead of running scared, they came to their senses, for the most part.

My Characters

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #9 on: <02-17-12/1742:15> »
At least Netcat, Inbus, and other TMs have dispelled that perception on Jackpoint.
Not all of JackPoint.
Plus, the hype was quickly revealed as just hype, as technomancers began showing what the corps were doing to them. Then AIs burst on the scene, and Pulsar wowed everyone. Horizon made a concerted media effort to dispel the hype that technomancers were the boogeyman, and people came to their senses. What you're talking about was indeed the general feeling in '71, but after people started thinking instead of running scared, they came to their senses, for the most part.
Still doesn't stop the racists who are running scared, and the fearmongers who thrive off things like that.  Of course, those same groups have been using magicians as the boogyman as well.  Not to mention Dragon-Haters who hate them all, despite some being quite decent.  And, can't hesitate to mention the Redskin haters who detest them for stealing "Their" land away from them.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Ragnarok

• Omae
« Reply #10 on: <02-17-12/1829:22> »
OOC, after it was revealed how the megacorps were vivisecting TMs, did the pope make any outlandish remarks like what one of the popes did after the reemerging of magic?  Or was he a total scrag?
- Tyrell, Bladerunner

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #11 on: <02-17-12/1835:59> »
Still doesn't stop the racists who are running scared, and the fearmongers who thrive off things like that.  Of course, those same groups have been using magicians as the boogyman as well.  Not to mention Dragon-Haters who hate them all, despite some being quite decent.  And, can't hesitate to mention the Redskin haters who detest them for stealing "Their" land away from them.
Yes, but they aren't typical for the general population. Would you judge all white people by the actions of the KKK? Or all doctors by the actions of Mengle?

Now there ARE bastards out there that hate or fear technomancers. Just like there are people who hate or fear mages. Most people, however, are not in that category.

My Characters

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #12 on: <02-17-12/1848:29> »
Yes, but they aren't typical for the general population. Would you judge all white people by the actions of the KKK? Or all doctors by the actions of Mengle?

Now there ARE bastards out there that hate or fear technomancers. Just like there are people who hate or fear mages. Most people, however, are not in that category.
Granted, just reminding folks that not everything is A-OK in Technomancer Land.  Being "Outted" as a TM is still a major problem.  Even in the Shadows, which is usually pretty accepting of people, there's still fear over TMs due to Deus and his Otaku Horde.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Aria

• Ace Runner
« Reply #13 on: <02-20-12/0831:21> »
So spin on both sides...I guess with Horizon pushing the pro angle there may well be an edge on the acceptance side but it seems to me that people are more inclined to think the worst until there's uncontrovertable proof that things are rosy!  Fear and hate are much easier to spin than love and goodness after all!

Maybe I'll downgrade the 'you're a TM therefore you are doomed' angle...maybe just 'if you are discovered then you are in for a VERY HARD time'.  I know I have a fairly dim view of the 'general population' and mob mentality but I can afford things to be slightly less extreme than I had at first envisaged.  Of course MCT and their ilk still want to cut open your head and poke around inside  >:(

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #14 on: <02-20-12/1255:29> »
Well, no worse a time than if you were a mage. Remember, this is a world where they've been hit with magic, dragons, two matrix crashes, three rounds of VITAS, SURGE, HMHVV, a dragon running for president and then getting blown up, dragons on the boards of megacorps... I could go on, but you get the idea. A lot of strange has been thrown at the world, and people have gotten a bit jaded. MCT spun the TM crisis hard to whip up fear, but Horizon is better at spin than MCT by far. The world had about a year of major freakout, and then people came to their senses. There are still people who rabidly hate technomancers, but for most people, as long as they aren't doing anything to them, they have more immediate problems, such as taking care of those TPS reports that the boss wants done in two hours, and so on.

A good example would be the earthquake in Haiti a couple years ago (RL, not SR). For a couple months, it was all everyone could talk about, and then people moved on to the next thing to take their attention. TMs were a big thing, and every so often someone will haul them out to make a point (just like they do with mages and shadowrunners), but they're here now, and not going away, so most people went back to concentrating on their own life.

Now, in the shadows, it is a different set of challenges, but the same rule applies. There are people in the shadows who fear TMs (Clockwork is a good example), just like there are people in the shadows who fear mages, or disdain anyone walking the razor's edge of cyberware, or can't stand hackers. But for the most part, biz is biz, and at the end of the day, people look to do what is best for their bottom line.

My Characters