NEWS

Samurai Traditions?

• 38 Replies

anotherJack

• Omae
« Reply #30 on: <09-22-10/0945:33> »
The problem is a samurai is mainly defined by the fact he serves his master to the cost of his life.
Actually, if the Red sams' are glorified guards, samuraļ themselve were mainly glorified guards and servants.
It's completely compatible, and probably encouraged in japanese corporations, but in the streets, in can become very very letal if your master isn't trustable.
« Last Edit: <09-22-10/0947:33> by anotherJack »
Me am french, me am not speaking good english, but me am trying to correct this.

Devil

• Omae
« Reply #31 on: <09-22-10/0959:07> »
The Yakuza consider themselves modern day samurai. Their name for themselves means "Chivalrous Organization".

Sword masters still exist and still instruct people. Even more-so in 2072 than now, from what I've read about martial arts in arsenal and about magical traditions.

The ways of the past have re-emerged in many forms. They have also changed, no doubt.

In real life you can just go out and read some books. The Hagakure is very popular. Hell, with VR the way it is in 2072, you could probably learn alot of the basics of the philosophy and skills just from a program.

True samurai are servants, but servants to a master can mean alot of things and can lead down many paths. There are also Ronin.
« Last Edit: <09-22-10/1021:04> by Joker »

Devil

• Omae
« Reply #32 on: <09-22-10/1007:26> »
Page 99 Runners Companion
Optional Rule: Code of Conduct
Bushido
The classic bushido is a stoic warrior who fights for honor as much as for pay, who treasures knowledge as much as martial victory. A bushido is compelled to make the moral choice where possible. She is not rash: every decision she makes has been carefully weighed, and each mistake is a mark against her honor that must eventually be redeemed. A modern variant of bushido is common among street samurai.
Advantages: The character receives a +2 dice to her Street Cred dice pool modifier.
Disadvantages: The bushido is a warrior and a scholar.
Each time she increases a Combat Skill in play, she must increase a Knowledge Skill by the same number of rating points before she can increase another Combat Skill.

That's just the shadowrun norm. There are different philosophies.
« Last Edit: <09-22-10/1021:52> by Joker »

Walks Through Walls

• Ace Runner
« Reply #33 on: <09-22-10/1811:18> »
For a beginning adept character the level three increased reflexes is very pricy. I typically go with level 1 which is 1.5 pts. Now with the 3.5 points that you freed up you could go with the attribute boost or improved physical attribute and not have to worry about the health spells to boost your attributes. Mystic armor could also help a warrior type character. There is also the improved ability to get more dice with the sword

The other thing is by starting with the first level of increased reflexes you can look at how you are moving compared to others and if you need more passes buy it up when you raise your magic
"Walking through walls isn't tough..... if you know where the doors are."
"It's not being seen that is the trick."

Walks Through Walls

Glyph

• Ace Runner
« Reply #34 on: <09-22-10/2313:14> »
Note that SR4A changed the costs of those two powers.  Improved reflexes: 3 costs 4 points, and Improved Attribute: 1 costs 0.75 power points.  So you actually have 1.25 points left to spend on adept abilities.

Medicineman

• Ace Runner
« Reply #35 on: <09-23-10/0522:33> »
@Joker and slightly Offtopic
Ever watched the Movie
"Ghost Dog ,the Way of the Samurai" ?
If not ,do so!! Its a Great Movie (especially if You want to play a modern Day Samurai )

He who dances on the Rooftops among the Pidgeons
Medicineman
http://english.bouletcorp.com/2013/08/02/the-long-journey/
---------------------------------------------------
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1V7fi5IqYw
---------------------------------------------------
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RYlAPjyNm8

Devil

• Omae
« Reply #36 on: <09-23-10/0745:33> »
@Joker and slightly Offtopic
Ever watched the Movie
"Ghost Dog ,the Way of the Samurai" ?
If not ,do so!! Its a Great Movie (especially if You want to play a modern Day Samurai )

He who dances on the Rooftops among the Pidgeons
Medicineman

I have seen that. Awesome movie. A great example of the diversity of modern day samurai.

SR4A is the anniversary edition core rulebook, right? I really need to get that.

Yeah, this character I'm making is going to be really interesting. Might take me a while, but I'll post him over in the character section when I'm done. I think I'll need a couple of books like SR4A and Street Magic to finish.

Jeeves

• Chummer
« Reply #37 on: <09-23-10/0901:25> »
If you're making a samurai character, another thing you may want to include is the "Bushido" code of conduct. If i remember correctly, it's a 5 bp positive quality that gives some slight bonuses. I think it also requires your character to increase a knowledge skill before you can increase any active skill, or some kind of mental+physical tie in. Personally, it seems to me like too much of a hinderance, but if you want to really make a character who follows a samurai lifestyle, it's an option.

Bradd

• Omae
« Reply #38 on: <09-28-10/1606:33> »
For starting characters, I recommend buying only one level of Improved Reflexes (or using Jazz), and supplementing that with Edge to buy extra initiative passes.