NEWS

Full Auto...Grenades?

• 74 Replies

Magus

• Newb
  • Dumpshock Alum
« Reply #15 on: <09-19-10/1157:41> »
Plus the M203 GL is an underbarrel addition to the M16 so I think you would use the Automatics skill to fire it. I may be wrong I will have to check.
Commanding Officer of the Floridian Ninja Surfing Drop Bear Pirates!!!

Shah Dude!!

The_Gun_Nut

• Ace Runner
« Reply #16 on: <09-19-10/1202:37> »
This is true, it does use the Automatics skill.  But I'm asking about fully automatic grenade launchers and how to model their use in SR.
There is no overkill.

Only "Open fire" and "I need to reload."

Walks Through Walls

• Ace Runner
« Reply #17 on: <09-19-10/1449:31> »
Actually Gun Nut I'm pretty sure you still use heavy weapons to fire it.

I know with the under barrel shotgun on the optinum II you use long arms so I don't see why a under barrel grenade launcher wouldn't use the same concept though it would be heavy weapons at that point
"Walking through walls isn't tough..... if you know where the doors are."
"It's not being seen that is the trick."

Walks Through Walls

System

• Newb
« Reply #18 on: <09-19-10/1459:40> »
Having fired military grenade launchers, I wouldn't say they have a terribly huge amount of recoil.  The Marines are now testing the M32.  I can't imagine that it would be too terribly difficult to control if it was properly braced.  I don't see any reason for there to be double uncompensated recoil. 

Resolving fully automatic grenade fire would probably be a little slow compared to typical Shadowrun combat, but I guess it all just depends on how much crunch your players can tolerate.  Mine would probably feel like they'd been screwed out of some expensive ammunition if we streamlined it too much, lol.

KarmaInferno

• Ace Runner
  • Armor Stacking Cheese Monkey
« Reply #19 on: <09-19-10/1809:06> »
Well the Mark 19 does have a noticable recoil but then it is also mounted on a HumVee. Ex Army 82nd Airborne Division 4 battalion 325 Airborne Infantry Regiment (Unit has now been retired  :-\)

Yeah, but how much recoil would you expect if you managed to fire it unmounted?

What about the AA12(13?) what ever. The compaly owner fired it full auto from one hand "braced" by holding his own wrist, minimal recoil. and it had grenade (HE) rounds. I believe it's demoed here.
http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2008/02/aa-12-automatic/

It's AA-12.

Which is because it fires a 12 gauge round.

Which also means the "AA-16" in Arsenal is a little hilarious, a 16 gauge round would be TINY, as the size of the round goes down as the gauge number goes up.

It's pretty clear the guy who wrote the piece didn't actually know much about the real-life weapon.

Seriously, there are a ton of gun nuts in the Shadowrun fan base. It wouldn't have hurt the devs to have had a couple of 'em look over the weapons before publishing.

Mara

• Ace Runner
« Reply #20 on: <09-20-10/0531:00> »
There are certain issues with Full Auto Grenades that I see, and the recoil is not one of them.
It is how to handle the impact of bursts, which, generally, I would say handle the scatter separately,
but lump the grenades as a normal burst, though have the damage be applied separately as well.

Where things get fun, though, is Suppressive Fire with Grenades!

The_Gun_Nut

• Ace Runner
« Reply #21 on: <09-20-10/0700:22> »
Suppressive fire sounds like it would be easier to model.  Just have a burst of 3 to 5 grenades per suppressed area and use a single grenade's damage.  The AOE of the grenades ensures that the whole suppressed area is covered.
There is no overkill.

Only "Open fire" and "I need to reload."

Dead Monky

• Omae
  • I demand tacos!
« Reply #22 on: <09-21-10/1331:10> »
Wait a minute here.  Autofire grenade launchers?  Mahaha.  MWahahaha!  MWAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #23 on: <09-21-10/1407:55> »
No! Bad Monky! No! Put the gun down!

EVERYBODY RUN!!!!

Dead Monky

• Omae
  • I demand tacos!
« Reply #24 on: <09-21-10/1413:07> »
 ;D  I just can't believe I didn't think this up first.  I'm gonna get to work mass-producing these things.  Heh heh heh.   ;D

Wraith235

• Newb
« Reply #25 on: <09-22-10/1548:31> »
for simplicity sake I would use standard Burst fire modification rules ..... just immagine Calculating the Chunky salsa effect of 10 Grenades into a 5m x 5m  room

Dead Monky

• Omae
  • I demand tacos!
« Reply #26 on: <09-22-10/1551:55> »
That makes me smile.  ;D

And I was talking this over with my gf last night and she came up with a great idea for using it.  Mount a full-auto grenade launcher on the back of a vehicle or in some other weapon mount that can fire to the back (e.g. a technical).  That way, when being chased, you can just spray grenades at your pursuers.  Hilarity would ensue.

EDIT
I forgot, she also suggested simply using it in a regular mount so you just drive by an enemy gang or corp's territory and wreck up the place.
« Last Edit: <09-22-10/1559:45> by Dead Monky »

Wraith235

• Newb
« Reply #27 on: <09-22-10/1558:09> »
lets look at moding the ares Alpha Nade launcher to Burst fire .... shock trooper from hell

KarmaInferno

• Ace Runner
  • Armor Stacking Cheese Monkey
« Reply #28 on: <09-22-10/1857:10> »
Mod an assault cannon or machine gun with an underbarrel powered slide mount.

Mod an MGL-12 with dual extended clips, burst or FA fire, and underbarrel weapon mod.

Bingo, a Troll Assault Rifle.

Prime Mover

• Omae
  • Prime Runners need Prime Fixers
« Reply #29 on: <09-22-10/2102:34> »
This is how I did it.
Add 1 meter to blast radius for each round fired past the first.
Treat as normal grenades for damage, additional hits don't add to damage code.
Double recoil.

Makes it a powerful area denial tool while still not having an insane damage code 21P for a full auto launcher.  This about what you can get with a full auto hvy mg with a decent skill roll.
Why do things happen the way they happen? For
all I know the world Is Just one big game and all of
our actions are determined by the roll of a die.
-  Dunkelzahn,  Great-Dragon