NEWS

Can anyone think of a good fluff explanation for elemental and spirits conflict?

• 32 Replies

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #15 on: <10-17-17/1524:37> »
You really want nightmares?

In one of the books, it is mentioned that something about the mana in Chicago tends to draw mages to the Insect traditions. What if part of what happened with the Universal Brotherhood somehow aspected the Spirit of Chicago towards the Bugs?
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #16 on: <10-17-17/1537:05> »
explains Chicago's current roach problem...
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #17 on: <10-17-17/1658:31> »
Going back to what Wyrm said, the Spirit of a city reflects the core things about the city, like the Emerald City or the Big Apple. But Chicago is no longer the Windy City. It is Bug City, and has been since Ares first kicked over the Chicago hive.

Thinking further along those lines, what does this mean for cities like Los Angeles, Boston, or Tenochtitlan?

My Characters

Reaver

• Prime Runner
« Reply #18 on: <10-17-17/1830:15> »

Thinking further along those lines, what does this mean for cities like Tenochtitlan?

Dunno, but I would bet dollars to donuts  that it's big and red....

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« Reply #19 on: <10-18-17/0246:58> »
Spirits change as their environment changes; for a city, if you radically change not only its essence, but how people think about it, you would definitely alter the Spirit of that city.  It might not be instantaneous, but I'd bet that the Spirit of Chicago was changed before they declared the zone 'pacified'.
Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.

Senko

• Ace Runner
« Reply #20 on: <10-18-17/0249:25> »
Going back to what Wyrm said, the Spirit of a city reflects the core things about the city, like the Emerald City or the Big Apple. But Chicago is no longer the Windy City. It is Bug City, and has been since Ares first kicked over the Chicago hive.

Thinking further along those lines, what does this mean for cities like Los Angeles, Boston, or Tenochtitlan?

Bad things, very, very bad things. Same with Chernobyl probably given views on nuclear power when it happened.

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« Reply #21 on: <10-18-17/1957:16> »
Well, that was pre-Awakening to boot; I don't remember what's been said about the place, but Chernobyl might a) have become toxic at the Awakening, or b) might have experienced a mystic clash, since that's around the location of the 4th World's Blood Wood.  I vaguely remember commentary about cleanup efforts, but that may just be stuff that's been talked about here on the forums.  Do a search ...
Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.

Reaver

• Prime Runner
« Reply #22 on: <10-18-17/2029:25> »
I believe there was a passing mention of Chernobyl in a 4e or 3e book. Can't really remember the context of it through as it was just a sentence or 2.

But considering Chernobyl has been totally abandoned since the incident, there may not even be a City Spirit for Chernobyl. It takes life, and emotion, to "fuel" the Spirits of a City, and Chernobyl's only residence now are wildlife.

< On a different note, there has been several documentaries on Chernobyl over the years. You can find some of them on Netflix. I recommend "Wolves of Chernobyl" was really well done and interesting.>

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #23 on: <10-19-17/0055:23> »
Speaking of the Blood Wood, the mentions of the rainforest metavariant elves that now have thorns and appear to be helping the damn Diablo trees is not making me happy.

My Characters

Spooky

• Omae
  • If you run, you'll only die tired.
« Reply #24 on: <10-19-17/1326:42> »
Is it supposed to?
Spooky, what do you do this pass? Shoot him with my thunderstruck gauss rifle. (Rolls)  8 hits. Does that blow his head off?

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #25 on: <10-19-17/1338:57> »
Is it supposed to?
No. But it would make me feel a lot better if whoever went in to deal with them started with "extreme prejudice" and then ratcheted up from there.

My Characters

Wakshaani

• Ace Runner
« Reply #26 on: <11-03-17/0010:03> »
City spirits still exist and come in flavors that reflect changes, yes. The Spirit of Atlanta, for instance, has a bit of ash around the hem of her dress and always has a somewhat smokey scent. The smaller aspects of the greater city spirit that people can call up aren't much different than the aspects of Bear, Cat, and so on that are called up. The levels of spirit are talked about in FA (Look for the talk about "Imagine a chair..." and you'll be in the right area) and how you're just getting a slice of the greater pie, not the whole thing. This makes them manageable and understandable for communication. Were you to call on a higher level aspect, things get trickier.

And then there's Zebulon. Long, long story.

Senko

• Ace Runner
« Reply #27 on: <11-03-17/0515:44> »
I wonder if it would be possible to put Zebulon back together again.

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #28 on: <11-03-17/0631:51> »
That is part of what Ghostwalker was doing in DC, IIRC. Or at least it got the process along well enough that she could take care of the rest herself, in time.

My Characters

Wakshaani

• Ace Runner
« Reply #29 on: <11-03-17/1244:01> »
I wonder if it would be possible to put Zebulon back together again.

Already done. Ghostwalker's whole schtick with the Artefacts was in trying to fix her. He put all six (!) parts back together, then seemed to settle back for a while and nurse her back to health, letting the city spiral out of control while he had more important things to do. He's not been the same since then. There are many theories as to why, but, nothing concrete.

An interesting thing, however ... since the Spirit of Denver was rebuilt? The city started having less divisions between the people and started to see themselves more as a unified whole, Denver Against the World, as it were, which started the whole "Independent city-state" movement which never would have happened before.

So... which comes first? The spirit or the people? It's the Forbidden Arcana Question write large. :D