NEWS

Spells: Deflection vs Combat Sense

• 13 Replies

SmilinIrish

• Omae
« on: <09-18-17/1447:13> »
Help me out here, and tell me if I'm missing something. 

Combat sense is a Detect spell that provides +1 surprise tests and to defense tests vs ranged and melee attacks, is range Touch, and drain is F.  It is a mana spell.

Deflection is a Manipulation spell that provides +1 to defense tests vs ranged attacks only, is range LOS, and drain is F-1.  It is a Physical spell. 

Combat sense seems the superior spell.  covers a greater range of defense tests, it is a mana spell so useful for a projecting mage as well.  the difference of 1 DV seems insignificant, because you are not likely to have the dice pool to need to cast higher than F4 anyway.  How often do you think casting it at range would be necessary?  The only two situations it seems better is for someone whose teammates often get caught in the open under fire, or for mages with specialization in Manipulation spells and a mentor that boosts manipulation. 

Am I missing anything here?
Speech  Thought   Matrix/Comms

Jack_Spade

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <09-18-17/1456:37> »
Different schools of magic benefiting from different buffs and sustaining foci. Also the two spells stack. There is nothing wrong with learning both.

talk think matrix

To strive, to seek, to find and not to yield
Revenant Kynos Isaint Rex

SmilinIrish

• Omae
« Reply #2 on: <09-18-17/1457:37> »
 :o I never even thought about stacking them

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #3 on: <09-18-17/1537:29> »
Then you're really going to love what happens when you have a Mystic Adept who stacks both, and has the similar Adept Power.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

SmilinIrish

• Omae
« Reply #4 on: <09-18-17/1543:38> »
And then add the meta magic ?  I'm dead.

psycho835

• Omae
« Reply #5 on: <09-19-17/0719:58> »
I had been plagued by the very same question, until I decided to stack it. Seemed ridiculous at first, but trust me, it's worth it.

ShadowcatX

• Omae
« Reply #6 on: <09-19-17/0928:43> »
It's the mage version of tanking. It's significantly worse than regular tanking in a lot of ways (having to deal with multiple sustaining foci, having to worry about background counts, etc.) but it has its advantages to.

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #7 on: <09-19-17/1159:54> »
It's the mage version of tanking. It's significantly worse than regular tanking in a lot of ways (having to deal with multiple sustaining foci, having to worry about background counts, etc.) but it has its advantages to.
Well, it is now that Possession spirits got nerfed. Used to be, the vessel they were possessing got ITNW as well, which could make for some badass mage tanks once they got channeling.

My Characters

SunRunner

• Chummer
« Reply #8 on: <09-19-17/1515:17> »
It can be fun but its also very resource intensive as you have to be able to sustain multiple spells and maintain combat effectiveness. That said it can be amusing to pull a Matrix on some one where you walk down the street through sustained full auto fire from multiple enemies and never have a bullet touch you. Just look out when they start lobbing grenades in your direction cause those dont hit you and its just a straight up soak test for them.

ShadowcatX

• Omae
« Reply #9 on: <09-19-17/1647:16> »
It can be fun but its also very resource intensive as you have to be able to sustain multiple spells and maintain combat effectiveness. That said it can be amusing to pull a Matrix on some one where you walk down the street through sustained full auto fire from multiple enemies and never have a bullet touch you. Just look out when they start lobbing grenades in your direction cause those dont hit you and its just a straight up soak test for them.

Or until a general panic causes a temporary background count and your spells and foci all drop 3 points of force.

SmilinIrish

• Omae
« Reply #10 on: <09-19-17/1650:39> »
Or until a general panic causes a temporary background count and your spells and foci all drop 3 points of force.

So glad my GM doesn't go overboard with BC like that.  Background count shouldn't be that easy.  Should take time for one to develop.  Temporary BC of 3 because people see magic is silly.  I don't do the F1 sustaining focus thing, so maybe he doesn't feel the need. 

Jareth Valar

• Chummer
« Reply #11 on: <09-22-17/0739:40> »
Remember, Detection spells are resisted. I see no reason Combat Sense wouldn't be as well.

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #12 on: <09-22-17/0933:13> »
Remember, Detection spells are resisted. I see no reason Combat Sense wouldn't be as well.
Difference between active and passive. Spells like Detect Enemy are resisted. Combat Sense is not, since it affects the caster, not anyone else.

My Characters

SunRunner

• Chummer
« Reply #13 on: <09-22-17/0941:13> »
Mirikon calls it. I hope you have not been playing at a table where combat sense is subject to "Resistance checks" Mr. Valar.