NEWS

[SR5] New Quality - Afterglow

• 4 Replies

belaran

• Omae
« on: <09-08-17/0838:05> »
Hi all,

One of my PCs, playing a physad with a Code of Honor would like to have bonus in Social interaction following a "good battle", leveraging some kind of "Afterglow" - thus the name of the quality I would like to propose her and discuss with the community here, to check it is somewhat well balanced.

Here its :

AFTERGLOW (5 KARMA)
Requirement: Code of Honor
After a battle where the character feels code, or at least could be considered a "victory" according to its code of honor ( a clean kill for someone having the Assassin's Creed ), he gets a bonus of +2d for 4 hours to any test limited by the Social Limit . The limit itself is not increased, but the bonus is situational and stack with pretty much any other bonuses.

What do you think ? Is is bound enough ? Is balanced ? Is there already something like that available ?

« Last Edit: <09-08-17/0848:31> by belaran »

ShadowcatX

• Omae
« Reply #1 on: <09-08-17/0926:22> »
While I don't know of anything that is directly similar to this there is a quality that gives +2 dice to all social rolls in a certain circumstance, "first impression." I would probably increase the duration to a day (seems fair) and bump the cost to be in line with first impression.

That said, I don't personally like the Code of Honor requirement. Code of Honor is already highly subjective and is often used as a way to get points for doing things your character was already going to do. I think I would probably change that for poor self control, and add in "when the pc chose to not make a composure roll and instead goes with the flaw". Of course, that isn't exactly helpful to your already made pc who has code of honor.

belaran

• Omae
« Reply #2 on: <09-08-17/0929:18> »
Yes, you put your finger exactly where it is hard - how to define "a good battle". My PC actually play her Code of Honor (Buschido) rather well, and the character is defined enough for everybody at the able to agree on "that was a good battle for her".

Deriving this quality from first impression is an interesting approach, but it then needs to be renamed "Blood Impression" :)

I also agree on the 24h, seems fair.

ShadowcatX

• Omae
« Reply #3 on: <09-08-17/0950:44> »
I kind of like the name afterglow myself. Usually people associate afterglow with gentle delicate things, pregnancy for example. I like the twist and being like "you're positively glowing" and the pc being like "yup, killed 5 people, it was a good night".

belaran

• Omae
« Reply #4 on: <09-08-17/0954:11> »
 :D

Yep, that is exactly the idea ;) ! "Battle Afterglow" :)