NEWS

Increasing accuracy

• 41 Replies

Vaarsuvius

• Newb
« on: <09-02-17/1031:56> »
Hey I've got access to pretty much all the books, but a lot of them aren't well indexed so instead of spending several hours that I don't exactly have seaching for something I don't know exists I'm going to ask the community if they happen to know.

Is there any way to increase a melee weapon's Accuracy? And I don't care how costly it is. I'm the GM and the guy in question is for lack of a better word a Prime runner, but much more powerful than the PC's. The point is the guy has a massive dice pool, but is restricted to the shitty accuracy of his shitty weapon (he's using a combat knife on purpose, for character reasons). I know there is called shot, but...

In any case I'd appreciate any advice you have.

ShadowcatX

• Omae
« Reply #1 on: <09-02-17/1032:57> »
Custom grip I believe.

Officerzan

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: <09-02-17/1116:28> »
A character using the shoddy accuracy of a shoddy weapon should expect shoddy results to be honest. Primerunner or no.

With that said, I wouldn't call a combat knife's 6 accuracy "shitty." That's above average when compared to even most firearms. Slap a Personalized Grip on (I don't know if cost was ever listed for it, but I use 100 Nuyen) and now it is on par with a wireless enabled monowhip.

5th edition did that on purpose so massive dicepoolss don't allow people to snipe an ant off of a moving eagle with a rusty short barreled six-shooter (without edge and serious luck that is).

Vaarsuvius

• Newb
« Reply #3 on: <09-02-17/1138:37> »
Are there any qualities that he can purchase?

Shinobi Killfist

• Prime Runner
« Reply #4 on: <09-02-17/1155:44> »
Not aware of any qualities but if an adept he has a power for that.

While I get the intent of accuracy it's math is fairly screwy. You start losing hits with fairly moderate pools on a lot of weapons. It's like they based the math under the assumption of starting character without cyber or other enhancements. Either that or they thought losing hits all the damn time would be fun. And it's weird to say without luck you can never shoot/stab better than a much less talented dude with the same weapon. I'd have preferred a dice pool modifier. I'd prefer shooting the wings off a flies with a crappy gun due to dice pool inflation to all dice past x point are usually pointless. If they had to go with a limit it should be your physical limit(which is part of being the skilled) and the weapon would modify that.  Best knife guy in the world should be better than average enhanced pro in the world no matter what knife they are using. And not just for the odd bad roll.

Marcus

• Prime Runner
  • Success always demands a greater effort.
« Reply #5 on: <09-02-17/1159:26> »
Custom grip.
an adept power (Increased accuracy),
and I believe attuning meta-magic can do it as well.

Most characters will be hard pressed to take advantage of an accuracy 7 or greater; As 7 means a pool of 21.
Going passed that is going to mean a lot diminishing returns. 
*Play-by-Post color guide*
Thinking
com
speaking

Marcus

• Prime Runner
  • Success always demands a greater effort.
« Reply #6 on: <09-02-17/1202:39> »
All limits do the same thing they are squeezing the bell curve, into a more normalized result. With accuracy it very interesting particularly for melee where defense pools can easily exceed offensive pools
*Play-by-Post color guide*
Thinking
com
speaking

ShadowcatX

• Omae
« Reply #7 on: <09-02-17/1204:03> »
Custom grip.
an adept power (Increased accuracy),
and I believe attuning meta-magic can do it as well.

Most characters will be hard pressed to take advantage of an accuracy 7 or greater; As 7 means a pool of 21.
Going passed that is going to mean a lot diminishing returns.

Yes and no. A point over your average roll will come into play like 40% of the time (roughly). So if you are 21 dice you would be well servered by having 8 or even 9 accuracy.

But to your main point I mostly agree. Diminishing returns are less a thing for NPCs.

Officerzan

• Newb
« Reply #8 on: <09-02-17/1206:31> »
Are there any qualities that he can purchase?
Not that i know of. Most add to dicepool. Magic of course has some solutions. I believe an adept power. (Ninja'd)

Statistically, for Accuracy 6 to become a common issue, both the attacker and defender need to both have dicepools of 18+ consistently. If your group has hit that level of pool consistency with environment, positioning, and such, then yeah...in a knife fight, it's going to come down to edge and luck alone.

Shinobi Killfist

• Prime Runner
« Reply #9 on: <09-02-17/1219:14> »
All limits do the same thing they are squeezing the bell curve, into a more normalized result. With accuracy it very interesting particularly for melee where defense pools can easily exceed offensive pools

Yeah and in many cases it's over squeezing imo. I have seen 0 fun gained from limits but I've seen plenty of irritated players because their good roll(or average roll in some cases)is stolen from them. And spending edge just feels like a tax. I don't see a easy fix as the weapons are balanced around it. I initially thought accuracy would work but it's one of the big factors that irritated my players with 5e, not the reason we stopped but one of the beefs. Rules wise every edition has its flaws so it's a find the flaws that irritate you the least thing.

Vaarsuvius

• Newb
« Reply #10 on: <09-02-17/1246:28> »
I think there is a fairly easy solution. Up to your accuracy hits count 1-1, after your accuracy hits count 2-1 round down. So say you have an accuracy 7 weapon and you roll 12 hits (it happens trust me) well 7 of those hits count normally, then we are left with 5 hits, then divide by 2; 2.5, round down 2, plus the earlier 7, nine total hits. This seems like it would satisfy everyone. Even if it doesn't I'm implementing it in my games because accuracy kind of sucks.

Shinobi Killfist

• Prime Runner
« Reply #11 on: <09-02-17/1315:20> »
That's a fairly slick house rule. Much easier than trying to rewrite every weapon.

&#24525;

« Reply #12 on: <09-02-17/1342:59> »
accuracy kind of sucks.
Did you play 4th?

FST_Gemstar

• Omae
« Reply #13 on: <09-02-17/1600:26> »
Wireless on Cyberarm and machine sprites running diagnostics on it is another way to boost melee limits.

Jack_Spade

• Prime Runner
« Reply #14 on: <09-02-17/1651:55> »
Increasing accuracy can be done through magic:
An Increase Gear Limit spell (quickened) will work for an NPC with no problems.
If the NPC is an adept or mage they can also use imbued items - those gain a limit increase based on the number of initiations

Dual Wielding with the Two-Weapon Attack Martial Arts technique increase base DV and Limit by 1

Called Shots (vitals) reduce your dice pool and add +2DV so it's less likely you are wasting hits.
talk think matrix

To strive, to seek, to find and not to yield
Revenant Kynos Isaint Rex