Shadowrun General > Gear

[5e] Is it just me, or has Cyberware gotten the shaft?

(1/4) > >>

Tassyr:
Maybe I'm misremembering- it's been a solid three to four years since I tried to play, after all- but is it just me or are cyberlimbs/cyber-eyes/etc pretty much useless nowadays? I can get a cheap pair of contacts and some goggles that'll have all the mods I would normally stick in my eyes, and they're fine. What I mean:

[All calculations done at "Standard" value.]

--- Code: ---Contacts: (Rating 3)
          Image Link
          Smartlink
          Flare Compensation
Cost: (2,875¥)

Goggles: (Rating 5)
          Thermographic Vision
          Vision Magnification
          Vision Enhancement (3)
Cost: (2,500¥)

Total Cost: (5,375¥)

Versus, for the same effects (I left out low-light vision 'cause I was swinging an Elf when I figured this out)

Cyber-eyes (Rating 3)
          Image Link, Smartlink
          Vision Enhancement (3)
          Flare Compensation
          Themographic Vision
          Vision Magnification:
Total Cost: (60,500¥) and .5 ess.

--- End code ---

Just. Good lord. That cost seems to me that anyone with cybereyes made the dumbest decision of their career!

And then you look at a cyberlimb. My Sammie is swinging Strength 5 and Agility 6. To replace a limb with an obvious one and get it -just- to where he normally is:

--- Code: ---Cyberlimb (Obvious)
          Customized Agility (6)
          Customized Strength (5)
          no additional functions, mods, or addons
Total Cost: (40,000¥) and 1 ess.

--- End code ---

Where the heck's the advantage? Contacts and stuff get hacked, and you can still see if you yank them off. Cybereyes get hacked and you're farked until the decker on your team can do something about it. It looks like all you get for trying to make a chromed-up char with anything other than reaction or strength mods is slapped around on prices, essence cost and more. What am I -missing?-

[edit; completely fried some of my math. But the result is the same.]

Jack_Spade:
The benefits are indeed very lopsided.
Implanted Smartlinks and Flare Compensation do give a higher bonus/compensation, but that's not really worth the price of admission under normal circumstances.
Unusual circumstances are:
- Mages who pay essence can use all their new senses to work magic
- Optimized combatants that need all the boni they can find
- People paranoid about getting separated from their gear
- People who like chrome just that much

Tassyr:

--- Quote from: Jack_Spade on ---The benefits are indeed very lopsided.
Implanted Smartlinks and Flare Compensation do give a higher bonus/compensation, but that's not really worth the price of admission under normal circumstances.

--- End quote ---

Wait, where's that? I think I missed that in the book...

Jack_Spade:
Implanted Smartlink grants wireless +2 dice instead of only +1 and wireless on Flare Comp can reduce a synchronized Flashpack from -4 to zero penalty.

Tassyr:

--- Quote from: Jack_Spade on ---Implanted Smartlink grants wireless +2 dice instead of only +1 and wireless on Flare Comp can reduce a synchronized Flashpack from -4 to zero penalty.

--- End quote ---

Hm. I don't think that one die warrants a full 8,000¥ price tag though, do you?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version