NEWS

Magic and Pregnancy

• 27 Replies

MissRachou

• Newb
« Reply #15 on: <09-15-17/1121:55> »

Interresting post.

But not forget all the issues a pregnant women have to deal with... Wich is probably not so different for a awakened..
There's few things from a personal experience.
-memory issues (forgot everything pretty easily) Some bug in my head.. and loosing concentration very easily.. Can't concentrate on to complicate things..
-fatigue (escpacially 1 trimestre) I was litterally sleeping at job but second trimestre I was full of energy...
-eating /hungry ..
-always go to WC..
-Insomnia
- hormones..  this can affect mood pretty badly.. believe me..  And this point makes me wonder if this can be affect magic or trigger something...
(it's happen to me to start crying in the grocery because my love ask me want I would like to eat... well start crying for almost any little thing)
Last month.. I need help to put my sock... need help to get up of the coach.. difficulty to move my poor body around...

This is just few exemples..
So if you involve a pregnant women (awakened or not)  in your game , think at these things please  ;)

Beta

• Ace Runner
  • SR1 player, SR5 GM@FtF & player@PbP
« Reply #16 on: <09-15-17/1650:34> »
All excellent role playing notes, but not things you'd want to enforce on someone's character.

###################

On a mostly unrelated note, any thought on if/when you can tell by aura that a woman is pregnant?  Or if/when you can distinguish the baby's aura from the mother's?

And depending on those questions, I wonder if you'd get some interesting reactions from some spirits? (Depending on how much interest they have in metahumanity).

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #17 on: <09-15-17/1754:06> »
All excellent role playing notes, but not things you'd want to enforce on someone's character.

###################

On a mostly unrelated note, any thought on if/when you can tell by aura that a woman is pregnant?  Or if/when you can distinguish the baby's aura from the mother's?

And depending on those questions, I wonder if you'd get some interesting reactions from some spirits? (Depending on how much interest they have in metahumanity).

Good questions.

And they will probably never get an official answer to..... because that answer treads too close to the Pro choice/life debates that actually has ended lives in the States :(
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

MissRachou

• Newb
« Reply #18 on: <09-15-17/1943:42> »
well.. if no official answer.. I think I DM discretion

So there's what I personnaly think.. Thats why but I am not really familiar with magic in Shadowrun (began to run just few months ago)
Yes I think aura will be different, why.. because your state of mind is little different while a pregnancy. Your energy level is not the same, lower, most of the time more calm. It is very hard to explain
Plus animal can feel it.
So if the aura is different, may be spririt can react differently...

*Personal experience: I used to working with Horses. One of them really love me and always come to get some hugs.. He used to "push" me a little hevy. But the day 7 months I saw them, he come as usual want his hug but suddenly stop and super gently put he head on my belly. It was sooo sweet!!! And he keep to be ultra gentle around me.

About Distingish aura for mom and baby...  and if spirit will react differently, I don't have enough magic knowledge in Shadowrun to make an hypothesis on that.

Pps: An stressfull event/situation at the 3th trimestre can lead to delivery ( wich time vary a lot to a women to an other some push for 20 minutes some other (like me) 4 hours..) and delivery can be dangerous for the healt of the mother and the baby.
(Sorry I am tired and have some trouble with my english right now)

MissRachou

• Newb
« Reply #19 on: <09-15-17/2009:23> »
My love just came back with intresting point, but we are leaving for the week-end, i will come back next week about that!! :)

ShadowcatX

• Omae
« Reply #20 on: <09-15-17/2052:30> »
IIRC pregnancy is a negative quality. Aura reading can pick up your qualities. Ergo, aura reading can tell you are pregnant when you take the quality.

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« Reply #21 on: <09-15-17/2228:47> »
And since an aura is an amalgam between your body's actual state - which for pregnancy is not entirely binary, but it can be made to believe it is - and your emotions, there'll likely be a very subtle change when you actually become pregnant, another one when you find out you're pregnant, still others (multiple others) when your body shifts to supplying different specific nutrients for the infant's development, and yet another when your body starts to shift in order to actually birth the child.

IMO, at no time before birth is the infant's aura going to be perceptible, for the simple fact that it's entirely encompassed by that of the mother.  There may be differences in the aura of the mother, ones that are subtly different for one thing or another, that enable a very talented and knowledgeable aura reader to tell one way or the other if the child is a boy or a girl, or maybe even the race of the infant - but I think those differences would be noticeable relatively late in the game, far later than a simple amniotic fluid sample would give you the same information.

Spirits, depending on their sensitivity and interest, could have widely differing reactions.  Anima and shadow spirits might be very interested indeed, but for totally different reasons ...

... though it's notable that the insect spirits in 'Missing Blood' did not know that a host was pregnant at the time of their investiture with the insect spirit, and so complications ... arose.
Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.

ShadowcatX

• Omae
« Reply #22 on: <09-16-17/0012:02> »
Spirits, depending on their sensitivity and interest, could have widely differing reactions.  Anima and shadow spirits might be very interested indeed, but for totally different reasons ...

... though it's notable that the insect spirits in 'Missing Blood' did not know that a host was pregnant at the time of their investiture with the insect spirit, and so complications ... arose.

Pregnancy would be entirely foreign to most insect spirits so that makes sense.

Senko

• Ace Runner
« Reply #23 on: <09-16-17/1726:56> »
Oh a whole bunch of interesting replies I missed. This is honestly a quality I don't think will be used often in games I'm more curious about the "real world" impact would be.

Wonder how the mood swings and forgetfulness mentioned would go with someone able to hurt fireballs when angry. Would you struggle to focus your magic or would it flow easier with a risk of accidents. Rather like being drunk as a mage could be very bad, worse really as a pregnant women doesn't lose her normal inhibitions like a drunk person can. Could be an extra argument for good maternity leave conditions though as I know post natal depression is a very serious problem today. You wouldn't want to lose a valuable asset because of the attitude towards depression present in a lot of countries today

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #24 on: <09-17-17/2043:59> »
It still takes a hefty amount of concentration to cast a spell, so a simple mood swing isn't going to result in singed eyebrows or flaming spouses.

Not would I consider any of the negative effects of pregnancy that game changing. After all many women work up to the 6th month of pregnancy in the first world. (Up to the moment the kid drops in developing nations!) So while a little inconvenient, it's not detrimental...
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

Beta

• Ace Runner
  • SR1 player, SR5 GM@FtF & player@PbP
« Reply #25 on: <09-17-17/2133:45> »
Raider, I know few women who took maternity leave earlier than a week or two before expected delivery, except in the case of health issues -- Generally they are saving as much leave as possible for after delivery.  Maybe some European countries give pre-natal leave  separate from post-natal leave?

In the SR world I'd expect that corps are actually pretty good at 'offering' child care once you reach some threshold of value to the Corp, and anyone awakened would easily clear that hurdle.  I could imagine a lot of pressure to return to work quickly and pass your baby off to the caring hands of corporate daycare .... Strong mages might have enough pull to write their own rules a bit, but for the most part I'd expect awakened moms to miss under four months of work, unless there were magic related reasons that they would get more than other high value employees.

MissRachou

• Newb
« Reply #26 on: <09-19-17/1252:13> »
Agreed with your point The Wyrm Ouroboros
. I will  add that spirit can react  differently depends on the magic tradition, may be?

Oh a whole bunch of interesting replies I missed. This is honestly a quality I don't think will be used often in games I'm more curious about the "real world" impact would be.

Wonder how the mood swings and forgetfulness mentioned would go with someone able to hurt fireballs when angry. Would you struggle to focus your magic or would it flow easier with a risk of accidents. Rather like being drunk as a mage could be very bad, worse really as a pregnant women doesn't lose her normal inhibitions like a drunk person can. Could be an extra argument for good maternity leave conditions though as I know post natal depression is a very serious problem today. You wouldn't want to lose a valuable asset because of the attitude towards depression present in a lot of countries today
Very very personnaly..I would say that, yes pregnancy and mood assiociate with can affect/ trigger uncontroled magic. (Best tip I can give you DO NEVER UPSET a pregnant women -I almost punch a costumer who want (without consentement) touch my belly) and I am normally very calm person-

I will also except form corp daycare facilities and support to help parent to go back at work soon as possible. Avrage Pregnancy leave turn around 14-16weeks in Europeans country. Will pregancy may offert less risk work, give new assignement in the corps (to keep the employe at work the longer possible.  )  Probably they put pressure to go back at work

Last point: Philosophy of the corp with magic can vary to a corp from an other... First question to ask... How valuable are awakened people in this corp. 

Senko

• Ace Runner
« Reply #27 on: <09-19-17/1829:16> »
Good points there. So less "You get more time off and perks because your a mage" and more "You get light duties and mandatory visits to the corp psychiatrist" ranging down to "You had the kid get back to work" depending on corp, culture and value attached to the awakened. Personally I think it'd be more the first one with the psychiatrist being variable depending on the corp.

Although on the subject of mood swings and fireballing the office jerk I do note that you were able to refrain from punching the customer, of course someone who's not normally a calm person could be a different matter.