NEWS

Confused about Decaying Dissonance.

• 5 Replies

Desiani

• Chummer
« on: <08-23-17/0243:44> »
I'm looking at this quality along with the only place in DT, "Dissonants" header on page 164, that has relation to "dissonance.' Does taking the quality allow for the Echoes on page 165?   I've read on some older Reddit posts that Dissonance is to Techno as what toxic is to magic.  Could someone explain this or point me to something in SR5 that explains it a bit more clearly? 

I've read that in 3e Deus was using Dissonance to corrupt Otaku to his way of thinking. Is this the same dissonance in SR5? 

I am asking these questions because I am thinking of making a Techno that is a part of the Electric Knights and work with my GM to deviate from that gang into the Nytemares as they sound like the least Team disrupting Dissonant Stream x.x

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #1 on: <08-23-17/1220:15> »
Dissonant Technomancers are the equivalent of Toxic Shamans. While a normal TM hears the Resonance of the matrix and the code and all that, a Dissonant TM hears the Dissonance. They hear the corrupted code, the registry errors, the malware and so on.

Deus did not use Dissonance to corrupt his pet TMs. He took some naive children, told them that he was God and that they were His special Chosen. He gave them purpose and pride and power, when they likely had been living in squalor, as most Otaku tribes did. That isn't dissonance, that is old school cult leader shit.

Pax, on the other hand, discovered Dissonance in her quest to stave off her Fading (when Otaku began losing their powers), and began corrupting others with its influence.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

Desiani

• Chummer
« Reply #2 on: <08-23-17/1431:44> »
So if I were to take the quality and having been in the Electric Knights for a long time, would the dissonance just seem to slowly effect him/her?  Or is it recommended not to take the quality and follow the path of dissonance?

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #3 on: <08-23-17/1437:06> »
The quality is for those on the path to Dissonance. Usually accompanies you going crazy. FYI, Dissonant TMs usually aren't allowed in most campaigns, because they're batshit crazy, just like toxics and insect shamans.

As in, you're LITERALLY asking about the matrix equivalent of a Radiation totem shaman.

(Hmm. Now I wonder if there is a Dissonant equivalent to insect spirits...)

My Characters

Desiani

• Chummer
« Reply #4 on: <08-23-17/1657:25> »
Thanks on your answers. Maybe I'll just take Corprate sin instead xD.

DD looks Fun, but if It would be too disprutive I won't taken it thankies.

Are there other sources I can look into for more info on dissonance?

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #5 on: <08-23-17/1931:09> »
Threats 1&2, Brainscan, System Failure, and the 4E matrix book are good places to start. There's supposed to be a TM book coming out, but at this rate it won't be out until next decade.

My Characters