NEWS

Fun with Bootstrap

• 10 Replies

Jack_Spade

• Prime Runner
« on: <08-20-17/0506:33> »
I need a consistency check on an idea:

The bootstrap cyberprogramm (DT p.56) allows the modification of the Format Device Action, so that a targeted device performs certain actions whenever it is booted up.

Now, if you give it the following commands:
Boot up in Silent Running mode, First action: perform complex action reboot.

That should ensure that this device is now unhackable as anyone trying to hack it must first succeed in a matrix perception check to find the silent running icon, before they can try to target it with a matrix action.

Only the owner can see the icon plop up in the matrix and has a chance to give it a command (like detonating a grenade or trace icon)

The only way to beat that would require the hacker to gain to consecutive actions before the grenade takes its first action, which is not really possible (at least I don't know any method to achieve that)
talk think matrix

To strive, to seek, to find and not to yield
Revenant Kynos Isaint Rex

fseperent

• Omae
« Reply #1 on: <08-20-17/0610:19> »
Yeah, the device might be unhackable, but it's endlessly rebooting.

I can see how this would be a fun trick to mess with someone.
Enter the commands you listed, force a reboot, then grin.
Unless those commands can be removed, the device is effectively bricked.

Jack_Spade

• Prime Runner
« Reply #2 on: <08-20-17/0627:52> »
Well, the owner can still use control device actions and format device by beating the device's matrx ini (which isn't hard with 4+4d6) since the reboot completes at the end of every round and the device is therefore available until its first action completes.
talk think matrix

firebug

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
  • Scraping the bottom of the Resonance Barrel
« Reply #3 on: <08-21-17/0054:14> »
Bootstrap says "after the next reboot".  It don't think it will have a permanent effect that will always apply to all future booting of the device.  So, this would frustrate someone and delay them (which could be critical in the right scenario) but won't cause a loop.
I'm Madpath Moth on reddit (and other sites).  Feel free to PM me errata questions!
Jeeze.  It would almost sound stupid until you realize we're talking about an immortal elf clown sword fighting a dragon ghost in a mall.

Jack_Spade

• Prime Runner
« Reply #4 on: <08-21-17/0928:32> »
This is a specialized version of Format Device which has permanent effects until you do a lengthy software install (also you are changing the boot sector - that is as permanent as it gets) and there is no stop clause, so all in all I'd say it is pretty reasonable to assume that the changes are permanent
talk think matrix

firebug

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #5 on: <08-21-17/2044:59> »
Hmm, yeah, I guess it would require the exact same thing to overcome as the normal Format Device action.

I guess the next question is how to you get them to shut off their device?  Or do you just wait, and this is something you do during downtime or during recon?

Edit:  I'm dumb, you can use this on any device that isn't a persona.

Still, I'm curious why you'd do that over just a normal Format Device if it's just to something basic like a weapon or grenade.
« Last Edit: <08-21-17/2047:14> by firebug »
I'm Madpath Moth on reddit (and other sites).  Feel free to PM me errata questions!
Jeeze.  It would almost sound stupid until you realize we're talking about an immortal elf clown sword fighting a dragon ghost in a mall.

Marcus

• Prime Runner
  • Success always demands a greater effort.
« Reply #6 on: <08-22-17/0028:16> »
Does a device need to be running for you to get marks on it? I always assumed so, but I guess I'm not actually 100% sure.
It seems like a white hat way to brick something without actually bricking it.
*Play-by-Post color guide*
Thinking
com
speaking

firebug

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #7 on: <08-22-17/0033:36> »
Well if a device is offline you can't access it...  Anymore than you can use your computer while it's turned off.

Just normal Format/Reboot would work fine for a White Hat thing though too, it actually would be just as debilitating.  Either way you can't use it until you make the test described in the action description.

Jack_Spade

• Prime Runner
« Reply #8 on: <08-22-17/0310:17> »
I guess the next question is how to you get them to shut off their device?  Or do you just wait, and this is something you do during downtime or during recon?

Edit:  I'm dumb, you can use this on any device that isn't a persona.

Still, I'm curious why you'd do that over just a normal Format Device if it's just to something basic like a weapon or grenade.

The point is, you do this to a device you own yourself. Obviously not one that you plan to use continuously, but one where you only need one complex action for it to fulfill its purpose:
Trackers, traps and maybe relaying messages. Everything that needs wireless on to work but is otherwise prone to be hacked.
And of course you are using cheap electronics not your main communications gear.
talk think matrix

Beta-Max

• Newb
  • Technomancer Problem: I sneezed & erased my email.
« Reply #9 on: <09-13-17/1108:09> »
I'd say the question is if the alteration from bootstrap is permanent or not. Also this makes me question if a device sending the "invite mark" is something the user/owner would be notified about? My thoughts are for a long term recon. You burn some edge to crush the hack the first time and trigger the bootstrap program so when it reboots, it auto-invites marks for you so you don't have to ever hack that device again.

Jack_Spade

• Prime Runner
« Reply #10 on: <09-13-17/1213:12> »
Format Device is permanent and Bootstrap is a Format Device action, so it very strongly indicates that this is a permanent alteration.
I dimly remember discussions about the spoof and the invite mark action and the consensus was that Invite Mark is an Owner action that can't be performed by the device itself but needs an authorized persona to do it.
talk think matrix