NEWS

Modular Limbs

• 49 Replies

忍

« on: <04-22-17/0029:30> »
I don't understand how the Modular system works. Does anyone know what goes where or have a map or something?

Kiirnodel

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #1 on: <04-22-17/0133:52> »
Alright, so basically, you can buy any of the cyberlimbs as "modular" which means that they have a modular connector at the primary joint (eg. shoulder for a full arm, elbow for a partial arm, and wrist for a hand).

In order to use said modular limb, you must have a corresponding modular connector to connect it to. The modular connector is installed in flesh (cost essence) or elbow/knee and wrist/ankle connectors can be installed in already existing cyberlimbs (they take up capacity instead). These modular connectors cost extra essence because it is adding extra hardware that let you literally remove and replace a limb at will.

Now, once you have the modular connector and bought your modular limb (which modifies the limbs availability, cost, and has a slight reduction in capacity), it functions as a normal cyberlimb, just with the added functionality that you can swap it out with other modular cyberlimbs.

There were a few clarifications that were left out of the book in Chrome Flesh that people have discussed on the forums here and there. Basically they consist of the rulings that you can't use the modular system to go hog-wild and add the enhancements to all three parts of a cyberlimb that has been made modular to allow connecting three separate pieces down the chain and add up the enhancements to outrageous levels. They've also given the ruling that enhancements "flow down" the limb, so Enhanced Agility on the upper arm with a modular connector would also apply that benefit to the partial arm connected to it (again, with the stipulation that you can't then add more Enhanced Agility to push it above what a normal cyberlimb could have).

My recommendation would be to work out with your GM if you want to do something non-standard. But for the most part, as long as you aren't trying to add things with the express intention of trying to break the system you should be ok.

« Last Edit: <04-22-17/0135:43> by Kiirnodel »

Rooks

• Omae
« Reply #2 on: <04-22-17/0245:53> »
Ok so say I want a stanard obvious Modular Arm
I pay the 6k for the shoulder connector lose .3 essence

I buy the Modular limb arm 18k lose another 1 essence

so 24k and 1.3 essence

but what about the elbow and wrist ones does the capacity mean the cost or what is in the connector?

Wakshaani

• Ace Runner
« Reply #3 on: <04-22-17/0303:29> »
You have two basic options:

Get a modular connector installed on your body, paying out Essence, at which point you can use normal cyberlimbs and swap them when you want (the limbs have full capacity and whatnot fo rthe type that you get)

*or*

buy Modular Cyberlimbs, which have a reduced capacity due to having the modular connector built into -them- rather than your flesh.

SO!

The Modular Limbs all have a lil' less Capacity than normal, to take that into account. A modular -wrist- lets you attach normal hands, while a modular -hand- has a little less capacity but doesn't cost you that connector Essence.

if that makes sense.

I should have taken way more space to lay out some examples, but, Chrome Flesh is *bulging* with stuff, and I was killin' my word budget, even without the missing Chrome Kings section.

(incidently, Tater Tot, found in the story before the drones section of Rigger 5, has a modular cyberarm. Should anyone want to see one in action to a limited degree.)

Kiirnodel

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #4 on: <04-22-17/0501:55> »
Oh... that either/or wasn't clear when I read it. Based on what I remember reading (not looking at the books right now, though I did look it up for my previous post) the descriptions for modular connectors and modular cyberlimbs make it sound like they require each-other.

If you don't need both, then that's an even better deal than I thought.

Rook does bring up a good point, does buying a modular cyberarm mean that it can be detached at all three points? Could you buy just a cyberhand to stick on the end? Or does that require installing the wrist connector first.

Wakshaani

• Ace Runner
« Reply #5 on: <04-22-17/1239:49> »
Normally, the connector's at the highest joint. Hip/shoulder for the ful limb. You 8can* buy *additional* connectors, however, reducing your limb's capacity a smidge to have more modularity.

For instance, if you have a modular shoulder, allowing you to hotswap an arm, but one of those arms has a modular wrist connector, then that arm (only) could swap hands.

This way, you could have your fleshy arm, for when you want to blend, yoru combat arm, and your hotswap arm for when you want to go around with different hand options.

Rooks

• Omae
« Reply #6 on: <04-22-17/1259:01> »
So now one has gotta ask if I got 4 Shoulder/hip Modular connectors do I just pay 4 x .3 essence? can I attach drone arms? or is it 1.3 x 4 essence

Wakshaani

• Ace Runner
« Reply #7 on: <04-22-17/1353:19> »
1.3 X 4, but you can always look at Alpha or the like to get that down a bit. At that point, you're all kinds of Detatchable Man, which, in and of itself, is pretty keen.

&#24525;

« Reply #8 on: <04-22-17/1513:35> »
Could an alpha grade connector hook up to a standard arm, or vis versa?

Wakshaani

• Ace Runner
« Reply #9 on: <04-22-17/1619:40> »

Yes, and yes.

Note that if you get a connector (0.3 essence) and an Alpha arm (0.8 Essence) and, later, attach a normal arm there, you'll lose that extra 0.2 that you never 'paid' for. So, make sure you always only get the good stuff!

firebug

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
  • Scraping the bottom of the Resonance Barrel
« Reply #10 on: <04-22-17/1942:49> »

Yes, and yes.

Note that if you get a connector (0.3 essence) and an Alpha arm (0.8 Essence) and, later, attach a normal arm there, you'll lose that extra 0.2 that you never 'paid' for. So, make sure you always only get the good stuff!

So you can have a modular connector and a flesh arm still?  Or do you somehow only lose the essence when you plug something in?  It would work much better to just have a connector's Essence cost include the Essence cost of the arm, not lose Essence when you connect an arm for the first time, and just limit the grade of possible arms if it's important.  Because it's totally un-intuitive in the current text that it's how it works...  I'll have to bring this up with the errata team.
I'm Madpath Moth on reddit (and other sites).  Feel free to PM me errata questions!
Jeeze.  It would almost sound stupid until you realize we're talking about an immortal elf clown sword fighting a dragon ghost in a mall.

Wakshaani

• Ace Runner
« Reply #11 on: <04-22-17/2252:07> »
So you can have a modular connector and a flesh arm still?  Or do you somehow only lose the essence when you plug something in?  It would work much better to just have a connector's Essence cost include the Essence cost of the arm, not lose Essence when you connect an arm for the first time, and just limit the grade of possible arms if it's important.  Because it's totally un-intuitive in the current text that it's how it works...  I'll have to bring this up with the errata team.

A SYNTHETIC flesh arm, not an actual flesh and blood real arm. I thought that was clear but it seems I was wrong. Sorry about that.

And, yes, it uses the Essence Hole to keep things flowing easy, but that's something that we haven't talked about in any modern book (d'oh!) which would make it more clear. I didn't want to chunk someone for 1.3 Essence right off the top, even if they were shelling out for Alpha limbs, for example. It might have been cleaner, but, ouch, harsh.

&#24525;

« Reply #12 on: <04-23-17/0059:06> »
I think i makes more sense to make the appropriate connector simply cost the Essence of what limb would be missing anyway. If I get my arm chopped off and have a connector installed, what difference does it make what kind of cyberlimb I hook up? Why would a fancy arm give me more flesh?

MDMann

• Chummer
« Reply #13 on: <04-25-17/0639:47> »
Modular penis. Just saying.

Wakshaani

• Ace Runner
« Reply #14 on: <04-25-17/1011:37> »