NEWS

Upcoming Shadowrun releases

• 1367 Replies

Marzhin

• Omae
  • I must confess, I was born at a very early age.
« Reply #870 on: <12-01-16/1337:09> »
I hope I didn't make it seem like we were the only ones it just seemed like they are busy focusing on source books and adventures when rules should be their focus imho first.

It's not necessarily the same people who are working on the rule parts and the lore parts, though.
Also, I believe the community would rather wait a little longer to have a polished TM book than a rushed, buggy one.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.
(Groucho Marx)

Wakshaani

• Ace Runner
« Reply #871 on: <12-02-16/1704:10> »
I messaged the woman working on the TM book on reddit and she couldn't give me a date but said that it is happening still.  Also I wish catalyst could see how badly the community wants the TM book to be a priority (not just because I am playing a TM and love their lore).

Trust me, we're well aware.

(I needs it, Baggins!)

Ragnarok

• Omae
« Reply #872 on: <12-03-16/1206:14> »
Trust me, TM players will consider the potential TM book "My Precious," regardless of any bugs in it.....  Sorry, I had to add a Gollum reference.  ;D
"More human than human" is our motto.
- Tyrell, Bladerunner

theKernel

• Omae
  • I believe you like it served cold -Matador
« Reply #873 on: <12-03-16/1543:13> »
Trust me, TM players will consider the potential TM book "My Precious," regardless of any bugs in it.....  Sorry, I had to add a Gollum reference.  ;D

Drek...just the idea is my precious
HACK THE PLANET
Theres no place like 127.0.0.1
Always start and end character creation by asking yourself "why is this character not an ork." If you don't have a good answer you should be an ork. -UmaroVI
"Stay at least one lie ahead of everyone else"-Vitriol
SR4+++hbB?!Wdk++o+++++M+P-

Marzhin

• Omae
  • I must confess, I was born at a very early age.
« Reply #874 on: <12-09-16/0540:30> »
I was wondering... are there any plans from Catalyst to translate some of the German supplements in English, even as eBooks?

The Datapuls ADL book seems pretty sweet, and apparently has quite a few connections to the story told in Dragonfall (making the video game at least partly canon I guess*)

I'm sure lots of players would be interested to read it if it was not only available in German ^^

*I've also noticed one of the adventures in Anarchy is a "sequel" to some of the events featured in Shadowrun : Hong Kong.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.
(Groucho Marx)

AJCarrington

• Global Moderator
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #875 on: <12-09-16/0623:55> »
Not that I'm aware of, unfortunately.

wraith

• Chummer
  • just another ghost in the machine
« Reply #876 on: <01-09-17/0658:32> »
Hate to say it, but you pretty much nailed it on the head Mirikon.

I have always had this feeling the TMs were designed by someone at FanPro (the company that started SR4e) that really had "Transhumanist" vision for SR. (Which came through in many Fanpro books, then lessened a lot after Catalyst took over).

But, now Catalyst was stuck. They had an archtype set up in such a way that didn't really fit with their vision or their view of the game world....

And along comes 5e.... and they make TMs the way they want... but thanks both rule changes and character creation rules, TMs are now broken and too weak to be viable and need a lot of work....

Almost to the point that I almost feel we may see them write out TMs entirely... As I am not sure how they can save TMs without basically rewriting the entire matrix or character rules.
(But I hope they can do something!)

There's a simpler explanation, Reaver, and one I think is much more likely given the content released since SR5 Core.  None of this has been given sufficient editing nor remotely thorough playtesting.  This, and Catalyst as a company's unwillingness to do so, is rather amply demonstrated by the fact that the errata is being run by an unpaid fan, including the errata for Anarchy, which just released.

AJCarrington

• Global Moderator
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #877 on: <01-09-17/1203:59> »
There's a simpler explanation, Reaver, and one I think is much more likely given the content released since SR5 Core.  None of this has been given sufficient editing nor remotely thorough playtesting.  This, and Catalyst as a company's unwillingness to do so, is rather amply demonstrated by the fact that the errata is being run by an unpaid fan, including the errata for Anarchy, which just released.

You seem to be mixing up different issues...editing =/= playtesting =/= errata. Also, Patrick is not an "unpaid fan", though I have no idea the arrangement he has with CGL in regards to tackling the errata project (and, IMHO, it's none of my business).

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #878 on: <01-09-17/1351:34> »
Trying to say the products are not playtested is a dead end Wraith. We have no idea about the level of playtesting..... And playtesting doesn't make for a perfect product...

Look at Pathfinder. They will happily tell you that over "50,000 man hours" went into playtesting the product, yet there are some wonderfully broken things in pathfinder (not to mention editing mistakes).

D&D next will tell you "We spent 8 months fan playtesting" their product.... yet its STILL a horrible, broken, unplayed mess. Not to mention errata and editing issues.

And face it Wraith, you nor I have a lense into the inner workings of Catalyst. We have no idea what issues they are dealing with behind closed doors. Nor will we have any idea as they are not obligated to tell us. All we can do is speculate and guess.

But well..... whiners gonna whine. Say what you want, but if you look around (and I mean REALLY LOOK AROUND!!) You'll see the death of printed media everywhere, in all forms.

Journalistic professionalism is all but dead. Grammer bit the ghost a long time ago. Fact checking is a lost art even in Academia.

We live in an age of buzzfeed, Salon, and Gawker style writing and reporting. And if you want to blame someone for it, look to your fellow man and his 5 second attention span and "I know everything, thus I don't need to learn anything" attitude that seems to be very prevailant in the under 30 crowd....
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

Ragnarok

• Omae
« Reply #879 on: <01-17-17/1515:30> »
Any new news on the TM book?
"More human than human" is our motto.
- Tyrell, Bladerunner

Novocrane

• Ace Runner
« Reply #880 on: <01-17-17/1636:57> »
playtesting
Regardless of the quantity that went into any given product, it's notable when sufficient quality did not. No?

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #881 on: <01-17-17/1711:15> »
playtesting
Regardless of the quantity that went into any given product, it's notable when sufficient quality did not. No?

'Quality' is such an ill defined term, its practically meaningless beyond a personal level. Where one person sees quality, an other sees shite.

Take Apple and their products. I know many people that rave about Apple and the Ipad and Macbooks and Iphones.... but every SINGLE ONE I have tried has been a total and utter disappointment. (There is a bear in the Great Bear Rainforest that got my last Ipad as in total frustration, I threw the $700 device out of the Helicopter!).

Some people think that Buzzfeed is a great website: Many others call it a trashfilled, click-bait wait of time.

Remember, "One man's treasure is another man's trash".

So please, define 'Quality' for us in terms of you where expecting, and then we can have a conversation, but simply saying 'Quality' in and of itself tells us nothing....

But that also seems to be the sign of the times as well these days.... no one "builds" anything, but everyone wants to smash shit down.

People who can't program whine 'games don't do what I want'
People who can't write whine 'this book isn't engaging'
People who don't understand economics say 'the Government should give me this for free'
People who don't build say 'A house shouldn't cost that much'.

Everyone knows everything, without knowing anything....

Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

dragrubis

• Newb
« Reply #882 on: <01-18-17/0514:15> »
playtesting
'Quality' is such an ill defined term, its practically meaningless beyond a personal level. Where one person sees quality, an other sees shite.
*snip*
Everyone knows everything, without knowing anything....

Ok Quality? when you see Playtesting just before, personaly i think something like playability, balancing, this kind of stuff, it's good for me, if TM's become playable again... (with some nuyen options too)

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #883 on: <01-19-17/1314:33> »
I'm wondering if there are any plans for an update to Sixth World Almanac. While there isn't any crunch in it, I've found it a really great resource.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #884 on: <01-19-17/1427:58> »
I wonder what if anything might be in the works for the 30th anniversary.