NEWS

UCAS/CAS Reunification.....Will it ever happen?

• 27 Replies

Ragnarok

• Omae
« on: <09-24-16/1708:45> »
Nations occasionally reunify in the real world (i.e. West and East Germany).  Will UCAS and CAS ever consider it?

This thread is purely for fun.
"More human than human" is our motto.
- Tyrell, Bladerunner

MijRai

• Ace Runner
  • Kane's Understudy
« Reply #1 on: <09-24-16/1912:20> »
I personally doubt it, as there are a few too many differences at this point.  And it wasn't like East/West Germany where they were divvied up after a conflict; they split relatively amicably, and there don't seem to be any issues with citizens crossing the border to visit family. 
Would you want to go into a place where the resident had a drum-fed shotgun and can see in the dark?

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #2 on: <09-24-16/2121:24> »
The North/South divide is a real thing in US culture, and that is where the split is. (There is an East/West split in Canada...)

And like MijRai said, the seperation happened fairly peacefully and there is no real reason to unify right now for them...
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #3 on: <09-24-16/2319:42> »
As a native Georgian, I concur with Reaver. The North/South thing is a longstanding cultural divide in the US, and always has been. At the best of times, North and South have been two brothers that got nothing in common, and don't like eachother much, but they come together for holidays and family reunions and the like. At the worst, well, see the 1860s, which is basically two brothers fighting writ large.

The thing about that analogy, of course, is that while me and my brother might have a knock-down, drag out fight, if someone else attacks my brother, then they gotta deal with me, too. In other words, the only way you're going to see the UCAS and CAS reunite is if there is some overwhelming threat that forces them to set aside their differences. We're talking about something on the level of "the NAN decided to go and revisit that whole 'take back our land' thing", and we see the UCAS and CAS as common enemies against some or all of the NAN. The only other way would be if there was a third Crash, and it kicked the economy long and hard enough that the two countries were in similarly dire straits.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

Ragnarok

• Omae
« Reply #4 on: <09-24-16/2359:29> »
All valid points, and having lived in the South, I know exactly what you mean. 

Question: would Ghost Walker constitute enough of a grave threat that they'd reunify?
- Tyrell, Bladerunner

RowanTheFox

• Omae
« Reply #5 on: <09-25-16/0005:24> »

Question: would Ghost Walker constitute enough of a grave threat that they'd reunify?

With a reforged and mentally unhinged Zebulon at his side? Why, I do believe just about any kind of folk would be looking for some of that good ol' fashioned southern hospitality to help them hide from that.

No fight, only hide.
It is better to be crazy and know it, than to be sane and have one's doubts.

"Nothing is wrong if no one can stop you."

Remember, you're only a genius when they need you. The rest of the time you're just an asshole.

Well, drek. Looks like Timmy fell into the Dissonance Well again.

Rosa

• Omae
« Reply #6 on: <09-25-16/1130:53> »

Nowhere near the kind of threat it would take. Cooperation, yes certainly, military assistance, maybe, Reunification, absolutely not, not for something of this magnitude, especially after the Azzies demonstrating that you CAN fight a great dragon.

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #7 on: <09-25-16/1340:14> »

Nowhere near the kind of threat it would take. Cooperation, yes certainly, military assistance, maybe, Reunification, absolutely not, not for something of this magnitude, especially after the Azzies demonstrating that you CAN fight a great dragon.
Rosa has the right of it. An angry Great Dragon is the equivalent of a natural disaster, like a hurricane. Horribly devastating if you're in its path, but not an existential threat to the country's survival. And it would take an existential threat, like the NAN attempting to use another Great Ghost Dance and kicking off a war to try and take back ALL the native lands for Reunification to happen. No matter what the New Revolution thinks.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

Dwagonzhan

• Chummer
  • Drake on the run.
« Reply #8 on: <09-25-16/2320:20> »
With a reforged and mentally unhinged Zebulon at his side? Why, I do believe just about any kind of folk would be looking for some of that good ol' fashioned southern hospitality to help them hide from that.

No fight, only hide.

That is scarily accurate, if you were to ask my main runner-character.
As in, that's exactly what he did: Fled the great white wizwyrm's domain, and into the South (New Orleans, Texas specifically).  ;p

(My main runner did a "Find and Reform Zebulon" campaign game based on the plot hook from Year of the Comet. He finished the job successfully, but didn't get paid "for some reason" and in fact fled Denver into the CAS. Now Ghostwalker wants him back, alive, for "unstated reasons". I will add that all of this came around before I or of my regular SR playgroup had even heard of In the Clutch of Dragons, let alone read it.  :o)
« Last Edit: <09-26-16/1306:52> by Dwagonzhan »
"You haven't truly lived until you've had a Cortex bomb!" ~Former GM

RowanTheFox

• Omae
« Reply #9 on: <09-25-16/2344:57> »

No fight, only hide.

That is scarily accurate, if you were to ask my main runner-character.
As in, that's exactly what he did: Fled the great white wizwyrm's domain, and into the South (New Orleans, Texas specifically).  ;p

(My main runner did a "Find and Reform Zebulon" campaign game based on the plot hook from Year of the Comet. He finished the job successfully, but didn't get paid "for some reason" and in fact fled Denver into the CAS. Now Ghostwalker wants him back, alive, for "unstated reasons". I will add that all of this came around before I or of my regular SR playgroup had even heard of In the Clutch of Dragons, let alone read it.  :o)
[/quote]

Oh dear. You gave him the Borrowed Time negative quality after that, right?  ;D

Zebulon is actually the main plot point of the mission I'm working on.

Remember, you're only a genius when they need you. The rest of the time you're just an asshole.

Dwagonzhan

• Chummer
  • Drake on the run.
« Reply #10 on: <09-26-16/0027:31> »

I have my own little plot to handle this. Lets just say Ghostwalker will only be satisfied with the runner's SAFE capture, for reasons known only to the Wizwyrm and Zebulon.

(The runner in question went into hiding for ~13 years (2064, from the end of his last mission in Denver, to 2077 the "current year" in the game I'm in), and was presumed dead for most of them.
He only resurfaced at the funeral of one of his closest friends and fellow runners then disappeared again.)

Sounds cool to me. I've wondered where that character could go, going forward.
I almost want to compare notes...

Ragnarok

• Omae
« Reply #11 on: <09-26-16/1046:19> »
Alright, since a seriously pissed off GW wouldn't spur Reunification, let's go with the idea that NAN decides to go through with the goals of the original GGD....  How long would UCAS and CAS get their collective asses together to reunify?
- Tyrell, Bladerunner

RowanTheFox

• Omae
« Reply #12 on: <09-26-16/1331:23> »

I have my own little plot to handle this. Lets just say Ghostwalker will only be satisfied with the runner's SAFE capture, for reasons known only to the Wizwyrm and Zebulon.

(The runner in question went into hiding for ~13 years (2064, from the end of his last mission in Denver, to 2077 the "current year" in the game I'm in), and was presumed dead for most of them.
He only resurfaced at the funeral of one of his closest friends and fellow runners then disappeared again.)

Sounds cool to me. I've wondered where that character could go, going forward.
I almost want to compare notes...

Well, the mission also occurs in 2135 (in accordance with the timeline established in my stories). So, I have no idea how old your runner would be at that point.

Dwagonzhan

• Chummer
  • Drake on the run.
« Reply #13 on: <09-26-16/1445:37> »
Well, the mission also occurs in 2135 (in accordance with the timeline established in my stories). So, I have no idea how old your runner would be at that point.

He was born in 2039 so unless some even more ridiculous nonsense happens to him (he ended up turning Drake at the end of the 2064 Denver mission; turns out, exposure to powerful surges in mana can do unexpected things to you) he is almost certainly dead.

RowanTheFox

• Omae
« Reply #14 on: <09-26-16/1513:35> »

He was born in 2039 so unless some even more ridiculous nonsense happens to him (he ended up turning Drake at the end of the 2064 Denver mission; turns out, exposure to powerful surges in mana can do unexpected things to you) he is almost certainly dead.

Actually, no one knows yet how long drakes live. He might very well still be alive.