NEWS

Shapeshifter Armor??

• 53 Replies

忍

« on: <04-27-16/0114:51> »
Any ideas for our sometimes armored friends from another forest?

MijRai

• Ace Runner
  • Kane's Understudy
« Reply #1 on: <04-27-16/0150:47> »
Well, getting metahuman armor isn't hard, and getting critter armor shouldn't be too hard.  Making armor that shapeshifts between forms?  I would rule it impossible for the 6th World.  Maybe later on if a shapeshifter player expressed a distinct interest, I'd introduce some ancient 4th Age piece that can do it, but not currently. 
Would you want to go into a place where the resident had a drum-fed shotgun and can see in the dark?

Jack_Spade

• Prime Runner
« Reply #2 on: <04-27-16/0303:38> »
The armored bag from R&G would be your best solution. It's not stylish but it fits everyone as long as they have a head and four appendages and are within the range of meta-human size.

If you have the fashion spell, you might even be able to make it fit better.
talk think matrix

To strive, to seek, to find and not to yield
Revenant Kynos Isaint Rex

Hobbes

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #3 on: <04-27-16/1049:56> »
Jack beat me to it.  Also, since most bags will have multiple pockets you can keep a spare change of clothes, baby wipes, deodorant, and breath mints handy.  Breath mints especially for a biter, 'cause, 'ew. 

But yeah, for 'shifters or mages using the shapeshift spell that bag solves a lot of stupid little logistical problems. 

Tack on Gear Access for extra lulz. 

&#24525;

« Reply #4 on: <04-27-16/2151:08> »
What about some creative interpretation of YNT softweave armor? Maybe x3¥ instead?

Hobbes

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #5 on: <04-27-16/2157:47> »
Softweave increases the amount of stuff you can put in your Armor.  Does nothing for turning Jackets into Barding (or whatever).  Firmly into houserule territory. 

Not that Armor on a Tiger (or Horse, or Dog) is particularly difficult.  Just not RAW is all.  The Bag is about it for RAW solutions, everything else is up to your GM.

But get the bag too.  Seriously, breath mints, real life savers. 

&#24525;

« Reply #6 on: <04-27-16/2249:32> »
[quote author 84pg]SoftWeave was developed by Yamatetsu Naval Technologies for sapients and the less common metavarients because it’s easier to mold and work into alternative designs than standard armor technologies.[/quote]

Blue Rose

• Omae
« Reply #7 on: <04-28-16/0015:22> »
I'd just double list price and let you get animal armor.  Then you get an armored jacket for when you're a human and a suit of heavy hardened milspec battle armor with matching helmet for when you're a magical housecat shooting death lasers out of your eyes.

MijRai

• Ace Runner
  • Kane's Understudy
« Reply #8 on: <04-28-16/0158:13> »
Softweave doesn't make it shapeshift; it just makes a lighter, more flexible material.  I'd also not allow the armor-bag to work interchangeably, because you'd need to move the openings to actually fit the critter's form in order for it to work. 
Would you want to go into a place where the resident had a drum-fed shotgun and can see in the dark?

Jack_Spade

• Prime Runner
« Reply #9 on: <04-28-16/0452:53> »
That shouldn't be a problem. Just add a few additional zippers so you can get your tail out or whatever else you need to stick out.
talk think matrix

To strive, to seek, to find and not to yield
Revenant Kynos Isaint Rex

ScytheKnight

• Ace Runner
« Reply #10 on: <04-28-16/0751:22> »
Softweave doesn't make it shapeshift; it just makes a lighter, more flexible material.  I'd also not allow the armor-bag to work interchangeably, because you'd need to move the openings to actually fit the critter's form in order for it to work.

I think everyone's past that to "OK, we can't make armor that will change, so how the heck to we mark armor for animal forms?"
From To<<Matrix message>>
"Speech"
Thoughts
Astral
Mentor

Blue Rose

• Omae
« Reply #11 on: <04-28-16/0951:51> »
Other than custom fit I can't seem to find anywhere that limits the body types that can don armor.

How do we justify pixie armor?

Armored vests for animals must exist; I should think them standard on security hellhounds.

adzling

« Reply #12 on: <04-28-16/1015:50> »
And I can't find anywhere where it says that an Panther Assault Cannon cannot be wielded by a Pixie while flying...

Sometimes you have to insert common sense, if you don't have any then YMMV.

Blue Rose

• Omae
« Reply #13 on: <04-28-16/1018:49> »
Common sense says if you size armor for a bear, that armor can fit a bear. Less common, sure, but not less reasonable.

adzling

« Reply #14 on: <04-28-16/1053:04> »
I agree that armor could be made to fit an animal.

However that was not the question, the question was "is it available off the shelf".

And I think the answer to that would be "no" excepting some common animals that would tolerate light armor, such as the Hellhound suggestion (custom armor vest?).

However that is not the same as "I want to put an armored jacket i bought at the store on my bear friend, the rules don't say I cant' so therefore I can!".