NEWS

The Division

• 53 Replies

PiXeL01

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
  • Sheltering Orks in Osaka
« Reply #15 on: <02-29-16/0834:47> »
Amazon here so I'll be pretending to be a fireman. It isn't gonna foul the Cleaners but here's to hoping.
If Tom Brady’s a Spike Baby, what does that make Brees and Rodgers?

ScytheKnight

• Ace Runner
« Reply #16 on: <03-04-16/2238:08> »
It looks kinda interesting... But I'm also aware of just how much has been cut out from earlier ideas.
From To<<Matrix message>>
"Speech"
Thoughts
Astral
Mentor

PiXeL01

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #17 on: <03-05-16/2131:54> »
It's always like that isn't it? They hype it out of proportions only to pull it back again.   

ScytheKnight

• Ace Runner
« Reply #18 on: <03-06-16/0622:18> »
This is true, but I've struggled to keep interest in it since they pulled the tablet based areal drone thing... I felt it was something that really set the game apart and was going in a really interesting direction.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Astral
Mentor

PiXeL01

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #19 on: <03-06-16/1059:47> »
They pulled that!?? ::

Dinendae

• Ace Runner
« Reply #20 on: <03-07-16/0048:13> »
This is true, but I've struggled to keep interest in it since they pulled the tablet based areal drone thing... I felt it was something that really set the game apart and was going in a really interesting direction.

I was looking forward to that, but I was expecting it to either get nixed, or at least severely nerfed; aerial support in such a setting could be massively overpowering.

ScytheKnight

• Ace Runner
« Reply #21 on: <03-10-16/0128:36> »
Reading about a whole lot of bullet sponginess...  :-\
"Speech"
Thoughts
Astral
Mentor

Dinendae

• Ace Runner
« Reply #22 on: <03-10-16/0451:36> »
Reading about a whole lot of bullet sponginess...  :-\

Eh, it's the price to pay for being an RPG: being able to one-shot them in the head would make the RPG elements next to worthless. As long as you aren't fighting any NPCs too high above your level, it hasn't been terrible in my experience.

ScytheKnight

• Ace Runner
« Reply #23 on: <03-10-16/0456:29> »
Warframe seems to hit a better balance.. enemies can be bullet sponges if you're just spraying into them, but Headshots can usually one shot an enemy if the weapon is strong enough.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Astral
Mentor

Dinendae

• Ace Runner
« Reply #24 on: <03-10-16/0522:05> »
Warframe seems to hit a better balance.. enemies can be bullet sponges if you're just spraying into them, but Headshots can usually one shot an enemy if the weapon is strong enough.

I'm not familiar with Warframe, unfortunately. In The Division, a lot of the enemies behave rationally (i.e. take cover behind objects that would actually give good cover). As such, often all you get exposed to shoot at, at least for a bit, is the head; having instant-kill headshots would make it too simple, I think. It's a trade-off I'm OK with.

The biggest problem I have, other than the high system requirements, is that it's a game you need to be online to play, but it's not like a lot of MMOs in that it's run off your computer instead of just having assets on your computer and running off of their servers. This is going to allow a lot of cheats, and it doesn't seem like they have a strong anti-cheat system in place (or any system, really).

I've seen videos already where people have used programs to mod insane rates of fire (somewhere between a WWII German MG42 and a mini-gun). It won't make much difference in PvE, but with the best gear supposed to be in the PvP enabled Dark Zone, it's going to cause issues.

Character customization is also fairly limited, with the female faces mostly being rather ugly. Not a huge gameplay issue, but annoying for those that enjoy having a good-looking, slightly unique look.

ScytheKnight

• Ace Runner
« Reply #25 on: <03-10-16/0653:08> »
Well I guess I should qualify "Headshot with a high power weapon like a fully drawn bow, sniper rifle or 'hand cannon' sidearms, lighter weapons may still need 2-3 headshots in succession." Even then if you take an unleveled weapon into a high level zone even headshots aren't going to do jack... And many Warframe enemies also take cover (makes Penetration mods soo fun and useful to headshot someone though their cover  ;D ).

I guess Warframe has gone a bit more towards the combat mechanics, while Division has (supposedly) gone more towards RPG mechanics... Just sounds like Division has sacrificed more of shooting than Warframe has RPG elements.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Astral
Mentor

Dinendae

• Ace Runner
« Reply #26 on: <03-10-16/0746:43> »
Well I guess I should qualify "Headshot with a high power weapon like a fully drawn bow, sniper rifle or 'hand cannon' sidearms, lighter weapons may still need 2-3 headshots in succession." Even then if you take an unleveled weapon into a high level zone even headshots aren't going to do jack... And many Warframe enemies also take cover (makes Penetration mods soo fun and useful to headshot someone though their cover  ;D ).

I guess Warframe has gone a bit more towards the combat mechanics, while Division has (supposedly) gone more towards RPG mechanics... Just sounds like Division has sacrificed more of shooting than Warframe has RPG elements.

That's a fair assessment, from the sounds of it. I do need to make a bit of a disclaimer, in that I'm only up to level 3 so far, and have just left the tutorial area; I have no idea if the game will be changing significantly now, although I doubt it.

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #27 on: <03-10-16/0950:46> »
The Mighty Jingles just released a video on The Division on his youtube channel.

Have to say, not what I was expecting..... but still interesting. May just have to find some time to try it out...
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

Dinendae

• Ace Runner
« Reply #28 on: <03-10-16/2321:45> »

That's a fair assessment, from the sounds of it. I do need to make a bit of a disclaimer, in that I'm only up to level 3 so far, and have just left the tutorial area; I have no idea if the game will be changing significantly now, although I doubt it.

So I started running around the main area this morning when I got home from work. You start in some kind of FEMA/Military camp, and there's vendors there. I strongly urge anyone playing to buy a better weapon from there! I changed out the Navy MP5 everyone starts with for the classic AK-47, and the difference was tremendous: I was taking down equivalent level NPCs in one magazine, sometimes only half of one when I could get head-shots (which appear to give bonus XP if the killing bullet hits their head; I need to test that more). Bosus still take a fair bit of shooting, but it's not as bad as the tutorial. Perhaps they toned the NPCs down a bit?

Dinendae

• Ace Runner
« Reply #29 on: <03-10-16/2323:46> »
The Mighty Jingles just released a video on The Division on his youtube channel.

Have to say, not what I was expecting..... but still interesting. May just have to find some time to try it out...

I'll go check that out! I love his videos, and I found out about a couple games (Warthunder and Armored Warfare) from watching his Youtube channel.