NEWS

Why did Dodger go whitehat?

• 32 Replies

Lorebane24

• Omae
« on: <01-27-16/0900:54> »
Like it says in the title.  I saw in Data Trails that he's part of GOD now.  Are there any sources that explain why?
The power of the Tri-Horse!

Herr Brackhaus

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <01-27-16/0908:57> »
Something to do with Morgan/Megaera, probably. I think Storm Front alludes to as much, but I can't remember for sure.

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #2 on: <01-27-16/1100:57> »
Simple enough, really. Dodger couldn't accept that his digital lady love was gone after the fire of the Crash, and so he cut a Faustian deal, working with every mega he could (which means all the AAAs, and some AAs, too) helping them up their matrix security in return for being able to freely dive through their databases. Their entire databases. It was the act of a man desperate to find the woman he loved, very romantic, really. However, there appears to be some evidence that not only has Dodger Emerged as a technomancer, but that Megaera is his Paragon now.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

Magnaric

• Chummer
« Reply #3 on: <01-27-16/1926:57> »
However, there appears to be some evidence that not only has Dodger Emerged as a technomancer, but that Megaera is his Paragon now.

Which is very cool but at the same time irksome, as 5E hasn't put in any rules for Technomancer Paragons AFAIK. Kind of wish they did though, Paragons and streams made Technomancers a ton more flexible.

But yeah, what Mirikon said. Check out the 4E book Storm Front, it talks a bit about it in there. I also seem to remover that GOD was aiming to string him along as long as they could, to draw out his help with their Matrix design as much as possible.
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
-Wyatt Earp

Moonshine Fox

• Omae
  • Proudly serving our dragon overlords
« Reply #4 on: <01-27-16/2019:56> »
But yeah, what Mirikon said. Check out the 4E book Storm Front, it talks a bit about it in there. I also seem to remover that GOD was aiming to string him along as long as they could, to draw out his help with their Matrix design as much as possible.

I like how the seem to think he's completely unaware of what they're trying to pull. Makes me wonder when a datafile will leak out about flaws and backdoors he built in the defenses they had him design.

Like it says in the title.  I saw in Data Trails that he's part of GOD now.  Are there any sources that explain why?

Like the others said, he doesn't seem to have gone to the other side (and I wouldn't call it white hat either, but that's me), more like struck a deal for access to the systems he needs to check, with IC and defense design as the payment. I've got a feeling those won't be as good as GOD and the corps hope once he finds his Lady Fair and recompiled her base code (or he dies).
« Last Edit: <01-27-16/2024:00> by Moonshine Fox »

Lorebane24

• Omae
« Reply #5 on: <01-28-16/1957:09> »
So with FastJack having vanished, do you think it would be a reasonable assumption to say that Dodger is now the world's most skilled hacker?

Raiderjoseph

• Omae
  • When in doubt, blame the dragons.
« Reply #6 on: <01-29-16/0743:40> »
What are Paragons?
From To<<Matrix message>>
Thoughts
Mentor
"As a Mage I have no issue with 'shoot the face first'. He deserves it and it's about time they stopped targeting me right from the go." -The Tekwych

Lorebane24

• Omae
« Reply #7 on: <01-29-16/0747:58> »
@Raiderjoseph  To the best of my understanding, they're sort of like mentor spirits for technomancers.  I think they might help them submerge or something?

Critias

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
  • Company Elf
« Reply #8 on: <01-29-16/0748:26> »
*munches on popcorn*

;D

Lorebane24

• Omae
« Reply #9 on: <01-29-16/0757:42> »
*munches on popcorn*

;D

Did you bring enough for everyone?

Critias

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
  • Company Elf
« Reply #10 on: <01-29-16/0831:01> »
*munches on popcorn*

;D

Pfft, hell no.  I didn't go white-hat.  I'm still freelance, pal.

Raiderjoseph

• Omae
« Reply #11 on: <01-29-16/0949:33> »
*munches on popcorn*

;D

Pfft, hell no.  I didn't go white-hat.  I'm still freelance, pal.

It is also against the code of the popcorn eaters to share. Get you kicked out the lodge for that...
Thoughts
Mentor
"As a Mage I have no issue with 'shoot the face first'. He deserves it and it's about time they stopped targeting me right from the go." -The Tekwych

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #12 on: <01-29-16/1243:11> »
Lorebane is mostly correct. They are like mentor spirits for Technomancers. They don't help you submerge, but they do offer bonuses and drawbacks, like mentors do for mages. As with mentors, a TM and his Paragon are going to share philosophical leanings. A mage doesn't become loyal because he finds Dog, Dog finds him because he's loyal. Same idea with TMs and their Paragons.

And really, Critias? Popcorn? *pulls out bucket of fried chicken* If you can't at least get a bucket of KFC into the theater, your skills need work.

My Characters

Raiderjoseph

• Omae
« Reply #13 on: <01-29-16/1941:33> »
Lorebane is mostly correct. They are like mentor spirits for Technomancers. They don't help you submerge, but they do offer bonuses and drawbacks, like mentors do for mages. As with mentors, a TM and his Paragon are going to share philosophical leanings. A mage doesn't become loyal because he finds Dog, Dog finds him because he's loyal. Same idea with TMs and their Paragons.

And really, Critias? Popcorn? *pulls out bucket of fried chicken* If you can't at least get a bucket of KFC into the theater, your skills need work.

I once snuck a thermos of progresso. Do I win?
Thoughts
Mentor

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #14 on: <01-29-16/1948:10> »
For you, RJ.

My Characters