NEWS

Contacts, who you don't know.

• 48 Replies

Doc Chaos

• Omae
  • Bavarian Mr. Johnson
« Reply #15 on: <09-09-10/0936:04> »
If a corrupt cop gets paid by someone else besides his employer to do some good... whats the harm in him being corrupt? :)
SR4A Limited Edition [german] - 0478/1100

Turtletron

• Chummer
« Reply #16 on: <09-09-10/0948:02> »
If a corrupt cop gets paid by someone else besides his employer to do some good... whats the harm in him being corrupt? :)

Well it's pretty much what I told myself, because even if the cop is not corrupt, if he deals with shadowrunners and that his fellow cops discover that, he will be considered as corrupted, since he is dealing with what society consider to be criminals. So the only thing important is that the contact is being used in a good way.
(>) ...and I would have made it too, except for those nosey kids & their stupid dog...
(>) excerpt of The Smiling Bandit's taped deposition, Knight Errant casefile #E385h-0516

« Reply #17 on: <09-09-10/1059:21> »
For places where I list groups, I list them because groups have members. One could consider the connection rating the amount of influence that person has within that group. For example, an organized crime connection could be anywhere from a hitman to a small boss to an accountant. I can break some of these out if you want, but the list was getting a bit long. I may re-edit this later. I think I trimmed too much stuff.

Note that there is also some overlap. An identity broker has some overlap with a forger and a hacker, for example. Smuggling appears twice.

Digital
Whistler (Sneakers): Breaker of codes. Tapping of data.
Mr Universe (Serenity): Gatherer of public information. Facial recognition, Essential Elements of Friendly Information.
Alec Hardison (Leverage): Hacker, editor of someone else's data.
Data Haven
Pirate Network

Astral
Egg Shen (Big Trouble in Little China): Astral Knowledge Broker, even if it doesn't make any sense.
Talismonger
Magical Group or Society

Conventional Information
Fixer
Mr. Johnson
Organized Crime
Bartender/cop/ganger/informant: Ear to the street.
Mozzy (White Collar) or Whistler (Sneakers) or Lone Gunmen (X-files): Someone who can see the FNORDs.

Exit Strategy
Body Smuggler; (Also good for entrance strategy when you need to get to a new location)
Real Estate Agent: (Including zero notice short term rentals at high rates)
Corrupt Cop: "You've just tripped the silent alarm. And this time pay attention to who you're shooting at."
Identity Broker: When you need a SIN that isn't deadly.

Supply Chain (usually incoming, sometimes outgoing)
Smuggler
Ex-Supply Sergent
Fence
Jack Jeebs (Men in Black)
Chop Shop
Tailor
Forger

Edited to fix mistake on Moz. Too much editing
« Last Edit: <09-11-10/0912:48> by 1 »

Turtletron

• Chummer
« Reply #18 on: <09-09-10/1206:54> »
looks like a pretty good list to me  ;D
(>) ...and I would have made it too, except for those nosey kids & their stupid dog...
(>) excerpt of The Smiling Bandit's taped deposition, Knight Errant casefile #E385h-0516

Bisharian

• Newb
« Reply #19 on: <09-09-10/1330:51> »
Reporters are nice contacts to. Lots of sleeze and a great way to make sure you stay out of the spotl ight.

Tex Muldoon

• Newb
  • Just squeeezzee the trigger?
« Reply #20 on: <09-09-10/1642:11> »
Never forget aides personal and for groups. Sometimes you just have to "persuade" them.

"You don't shoot til the can hits the ground" Snake Pliskin

Mystic

• Freelancer
  • Omae
  • Word Mercenary
« Reply #21 on: <09-09-10/1721:05> »
One of the best way to get contacts of various types I have found over the years is the "favor for favor" system. Sometimes, its more profitable than nuyen.

Scan this, I used to know this Chinese restraunt owner back home who I did a few favors for that included getting his daughter left alone by the local Triads...don't ask. Anyway, now I eat for free (with a good tip, never abuse your contacts) and it's amazing the information that gets passed on in places like that.

8)
Bringing chaos, mayhem, and occasionally cookies to the Sixth World since 2052!

"Just because it's easy for you doesn't mean it can't be hard on your clients"-Rule 38, The Seventy Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries, Schlock Mercenary.

Turtletron

• Chummer
« Reply #22 on: <09-09-10/1824:35> »
One of the best way to get contacts of various types I have found over the years is the "favor for favor" system. Sometimes, its more profitable than nuyen.

Scan this, I used to know this Chinese restraunt owner back home who I did a few favors for that included getting his daughter left alone by the local Triads...don't ask. Anyway, now I eat for free (with a good tip, never abuse your contacts) and it's amazing the information that gets passed on in places like that.

8)

Free food, i like that :P

Tex Muldoon

• Newb
  • Just squeeezzee the trigger?
« Reply #23 on: <09-09-10/2015:48> »

8)

Free food, i like that :P

I am going to do favors for restraunts from now on. Be great when work slows down and bounty hunting doesn't turn out right.
"You don't shoot til the can hits the ground" Snake Pliskin

Tarot

• Newb
  • Never get involved in a land war in Asia
« Reply #24 on: <09-10-10/2141:42> »
@1 Mozzy is from white collar  ;D good to know someone else watches leverage too
Why do they always shoot the mage 1st?

Dead Monky

• Omae
  • I demand tacos!
« Reply #25 on: <09-10-10/2149:23> »
Contacts are fun.  My group likes to create really colorful characters for their contacts and frequently make elaborate backgrounds for them.  My three favorite contacts my group has are Sergei the exuberant Russian arms smuggling troll, Pappa Sweet the effeminate Huggy Bear-esque pimp, and Gary the flamboyantly gay knife-wielding joyboy.  They amuse me to no end.

Turtletron

• Chummer
« Reply #26 on: <09-10-10/2242:58> »
Contacts are fun.  My group likes to create really colorful characters for their contacts and frequently make elaborate backgrounds for them.  My three favorite contacts my group has are Sergei the exuberant Russian arms smuggling troll, Pappa Sweet the effeminate Huggy Bear-esque pimp, and Gary the flamboyantly gay knife-wielding joyboy.  They amuse me to no end.

Looks like a fun bunch, I'm sure they must create some funny moments.

Dead Monky

• Omae
  • I demand tacos!
« Reply #27 on: <09-10-10/2245:56> »
You have no idea.  Those are just the contacts too.  The characters all tend to be either unhinged, psychotic, or just plain weird.

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #28 on: <09-10-10/2248:23> »
You have no idea.  Those are just the contacts too.  The characters all tend to be either unhinged, psychotic, or just plain weird.
Which one were you? ;)

Dead Monky

• Omae
  • I demand tacos!
« Reply #29 on: <09-10-10/2255:06> »
Sometimes one, sometimes none, sometimes all three. ;D