NEWS

Just a few questions

• 10 Replies

Savith

• Newb
« on: <08-24-15/0017:06> »
Our group is really new we've only played for 2 sessions, and both were pretty drawn out due to walking through the book for most of it. We have a good handle on the large majority of the rules but a question came up in combat.

When using a bow its a simple action to fire and nock an arrow, the one guy in our party who built for the concept of being rather stealthy decided to use bows and swords instead of silenced weapons but he was rather upset that he could only fire one arrow per initiative pass. Is there a way to fire multiple arrows at once? For example, if you've ever played D&D the manyshot feat.

The second question is about addictions, it lists off augmentations as an example of what an addiction could be. One of our members decided to take this and as a result he's got a lot of augments. So what would be an example of habit related activity for an augment or would he just have to keep getting augments as often as the addiction dictates?

The third, none of us are really understanding what inherent limits are for, I've read it a few times and at best that I can gather from it is that its a limitation set on the number of hits you can use. is this correct, and if it is then does the inherent limit stack with say the accuracy of a weapon or is it a limit set for something that wouldn't have a set accuracy such as negotiation?

Overbyte

• Omae
« Reply #1 on: <08-24-15/0321:30> »
You can fire multiple times using the Multiple Attack action. You have to split your dice pool though.

Addictions are a bit of a mess, but yes you could be addicted to augmentation but how it would work.. your guess is probably as good as mine.  ;D

Inherent limits work exactly like you think. The maximum number of hits you can get on a test that uses that limit.
Accuracy (and other things) are INSTEAD of that limit (the idea being that it is the weapon that limits how well you can shoot).
So Unarmed Combat uses your Physical Limit, but melee uses the limit of the weapon.
You either use an inherent limit or some other limit. Never combine.
Nothing is foolproof. Fools are so ingenious.

Top Dog

• Ace Runner
« Reply #2 on: <08-24-15/0848:35> »
Being able to fire only one arrow isn't really much of a drawback - all weapons (well, all everything) is limited to only a single attack action per initiative pass. Granted, those can consist of multiple bullets (with full auto) or multiple actual attacks (by splitting the dice pool), but guns can't really attack more often. In fact, many guns are single-shot (which means they don't have the split attack or automatic fire options).

Augment addiction always seemed difficult to me. I guess it's easy to roleplay - you keep looking at the new chrome catalogs, and installing new 'ware whenever you can - but the rules don't really mesh well. I'd say give withdrawal symptoms if he goes too long without installing a shiny piece of chrome, but then the time before you needed to start rolling would have to be a lot longer.

Overbyte is essentially correct about limits. You use your inherent limit when using a skill (and, generally speaking, only with skills), unless you have a piece of gear (such as accuracy on a weapon, or ASDF on a cyberdeck) that sets the limit otherwise.
There's a caveat though - some gear doesn't replace, but adds to the inherent limit. The gear does clearly mention that, though, but it means that gear doesn't always replace inherent limits outright. For example, visual augmentation adds to the mental limit for perception, and medkits add to the mental limit when treating someone with First Aid.

Savith

• Newb
« Reply #3 on: <08-24-15/1153:54> »
You can fire multiple times using the Multiple Attack action. You have to split your dice pool though.

Addictions are a bit of a mess, but yes you could be addicted to augmentation but how it would work.. your guess is probably as good as mine.  ;D

Inherent limits work exactly like you think. The maximum number of hits you can get on a test that uses that limit.
Accuracy (and other things) are INSTEAD of that limit (the idea being that it is the weapon that limits how well you can shoot).
So Unarmed Combat uses your Physical Limit, but melee uses the limit of the weapon.
You either use an inherent limit or some other limit. Never combine.

alright thanks its good to know we are using the limits right. The info for firing multiple arrows helps too, but as far as the addiction goes I figured it would be something long the lines of polishing, repairing or maintaining augmentations, and getting augments as often as possible for the primary fix. I ruled out using augments primarily because all of his limbs are chrome and using augments at that point would just be too easy. If it was something like wired reflexes then i might have done using augments as a way to satisfy the addiction due to how it can be turned on and off.

living

• Omae
« Reply #4 on: <08-24-15/1944:04> »

No you cant. ready a arrow is a simple action. you cant use more then one arrow. shoot the arrow is an other simple action. you can't shoot more then one arrow.

that's a huge drawback for the bow. but i like the bow anyway. you can use poisen arrows and its silent. the problem is you cant shoot bursts (and the poison effect is at the end of the round). so dodging a bow shot is not that hard. so you have to use tactics to fully use the potential of a bow. shoot at targets that used dodge before. use poison arrows only in suprise rounds or for your last shot in a initiative pass. think ahead and ready one arrow before you start the fight, then you have to plan ahead what arrow you fire next turn but you got one simple action free (take aim or somthing else). its not as easy to play as other weapons.
« Last Edit: <08-24-15/2000:51> by living »

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« Reply #5 on: <08-25-15/0018:12> »
Living is correct - alas.  I might, on the other hand, allow a character to develop a martial maneuver to enable him to fire twice as a Multiple Attack action - paying 5 karma (7, really, because it'd have to be developed as a new martial art) to reduce one 'ready weapon' simple action to a free action...
Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.

Shaidar

• Omae
« Reply #6 on: <12-21-17/0008:00> »
The second question is about addictions, it lists off augmentations as an example of what an addiction could be. One of our members decided to take this and as a result he's got a lot of augments. So what would be an example of habit related activity for an augment or would he just have to keep getting augments as often as the addiction dictates?

One of the Shadowrun Novels had a Troll with augmentation addiction. I can't recall which one at the moment, it was one of the newer ones as opposed to the Legends reissued novels.

Spooky

• Omae
  • If you run, you'll only die tired.
« Reply #7 on: <12-21-17/1337:00> »
Speaking from personal experience, I can fire two arrows simultaneously, which seems to me to equate splitting my dice pool, because it's really hard to get both arrows to hit with any degree of accuracy. Now, I can see Wyrm's point about developing a martial arts technique (at least) to represent the training/practice required to pull it off with *some* degree of accuracy. IRL, I can hit two stationary targets that are side by side at a range of 30 feet using two arrows fired simultaneously. I can't consistently get both into the gold ring, but I can hit the targets. Personally, I would rate my archery skill at 4, and my agility at 4, for a pool of 8. Not too bad,  but splitting the pool means 4 for each arrow. my two nuyen, YMMV as usual.
Spooky, what do you do this pass? Shoot him with my thunderstruck gauss rifle. (Rolls)  8 hits. Does that blow his head off?

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #8 on: <12-21-17/1453:08> »
Speaking from personal experience, I can fire two arrows simultaneously, which seems to me to equate splitting my dice pool, because it's really hard to get both arrows to hit with any degree of accuracy. Now, I can see Wyrm's point about developing a martial arts technique (at least) to represent the training/practice required to pull it off with *some* degree of accuracy. IRL, I can hit two stationary targets that are side by side at a range of 30 feet using two arrows fired simultaneously. I can't consistently get both into the gold ring, but I can hit the targets. Personally, I would rate my archery skill at 4, and my agility at 4, for a pool of 8. Not too bad,  but splitting the pool means 4 for each arrow. my two nuyen, YMMV as usual.

Yes, but you are also hitting 2 targets that are essentially side by side. What happens when the targets are not side by side and are also at different distances?

This is the problem with multi attack and bows. If both targets were standing right beside each other and at a similar range, then you don't really have an issue.

BUT:

If one target is 15 feet away along a bearing of 178, and the other target is 30 feet away along a bearing of 127, you are NOT making the shot with 2 arrows fired from the same bow.... A firearm on the other hand could due to the simple economy of motion, action, and physics. (the gun may have to move from target to target, but the time it takes and the reflex of action makes this possible).

Bows are a good weapon, but there are limitations to what they can do. As there are limitations on ALL weapons as to what they can do. This is why we have developed multiple weapons through out history and not stuck with just a "pointy stick".
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

Spooky

• Omae
  • If you run, you'll only die tired.
« Reply #9 on: <12-21-17/1515:03> »
Exactly. That's why I would use this trick as either an opening shot, or as a desperation attack. Not really capable of anything else. But, my point was that I can indeed fire two arrows in the same time frame as one, making a multiple attack with a bow possible. Is it as good as any firearm's multiple attack? Nope. This is why I think that there should be a martial arts technique for doing so, so that the limitations can be spelled out.
Spooky, what do you do this pass? Shoot him with my thunderstruck gauss rifle. (Rolls)  8 hits. Does that blow his head off?

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #10 on: <12-21-17/1648:46> »
Exactly. That's why I would use this trick as either an opening shot, or as a desperation attack. Not really capable of anything else. But, my point was that I can indeed fire two arrows in the same time frame as one, making a multiple attack with a bow possible. Is it as good as any firearm's multiple attack? Nope. This is why I think that there should be a martial arts technique for doing so, so that the limitations can be spelled out.

speaking as a GM,

I wouldn't have an issue with what you are proposing, IF the situation warrants it. Such as, a surprise attack on 2 guards walking down a hall for example.

But, in a general sense, we have to be very careful about what we "allow" and don't "allow" when defining rules. This is why there is a GM, to make calls like this when it makes sense. There will always be outliners and situations where the rules get fuzzy or may not exactly work, and the GM has to make a call, often case by case. Work with your GM, and hash out a solution.

And if you are the GM, listen to what your players have to say, think about it, and make a call. You can always go back later and review the decision. Lord knows that I have made a call one way, only to do a little critical thinking on the issue later that changed my mind.

Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.