NEWS

Season 5 Radiation and Vehicle Called Shot Questions

• 12 Replies

Seamstress Kitsune Gato

• Newb
« on: <07-06-15/0113:37> »
I played SRM 05-03 Gone Long Gone Mission on Saturday and there were some questions that came up.

A good portion of Season Five is played in Chicago in the C.Z. And it's common knowledge that there are places especially around and in the crater that is still hot with Radiation. However there seems to be no explanatory rules on Season 5 Radiation. There were descriptions of it in Season 4 but apparently like the main website that still sells Season 4 books, there has been no updates.

My group looked through the books which included CRB, Rune and Gun, Run Faster and there was another book as they were searching for some kind of chart. The closest thing mention to Radiation protection is a single suit, MCT EE SUIT page 83 of Run and Gun. It claims Radiation Shielding 6 but there is no chart to futher explain this. My group did research on Iodine pills and apparently they protect you from the Iodine radiation which has a half life of 8 days which is great if you were in the 2050's during the nuke but useless in the 2070's where Season 5 takes place.

Now there is mention of Hazardous Enviroments and Radiation is mentioned on page 152-153 of Run and Gun but there is no chart or a description of Radiation in measurements and healing Radiation as well as Pollution has a small Paragraph mention on page 153.

It seems since Season 4 of Street Magic and from the following old threads found here: http://forums.shadowruntabletop.com/index.php?topic=10915.msg199606#msg199606 and here: http://forums.shadowruntabletop.com/index.php?topic=7269.msg129698#msg129698
 that there really isn't much radiation discussion for a season that takes place primarily in the CZ. This particular mission took place a block from the  Crater Ground Zero. Even the mission didn't give much of a description. I know this because members of the group took over an hour researching the address and comparing it to an actual Chicago Illinois map and referencing the blast point from Shadowrun.

Now for another question which also came up in the same mission. Called Shots for Vehicles page 115 of Run and Gun.

Why...Just why is there no Called Shot for Tires? There is a called shot for teh Window Motor and Axle but none for tires?! It's the most common thing Police Target when trying to disable a vehicle during a chase. So why is there no Tire Shot?
« Last Edit: <07-06-15/0115:23> by Seamstress Kitsune Gato »

Sterling

• Omae
  • Dragged in by the credstick
« Reply #1 on: <07-06-15/0306:20> »

Now for another question which also came up in the same mission. Called Shots for Vehicles page 115 of Run and Gun.

Why...Just why is there no Called Shot for Tires? There is a called shot for teh Window Motor and Axle but none for tires?! It's the most common thing Police Target when trying to disable a vehicle during a chase. So why is there no Tire Shot?

Take a look at Called Shots on Vehicles in the Core Rulebook (p. 205 Second Printing).  Shots aimed at tyres are specifically covered there.

"His name is Sterling. He’s an ex-pat Brit making a living as a fixer and a hacker in Metropole. He’s a rare blend of upstanding and fun...(so) listen to his experience."
>>Data Trails, p.82

ScytheKnight

• Ace Runner
« Reply #2 on: <07-06-15/0429:59> »
As for Radiation there's rules covering that in Run and Gun. This covers both exposure effects and radiation damage.
From To<<Matrix message>>
"Speech"
Thoughts
Astral
Mentor

Seamstress Kitsune Gato

• Newb
« Reply #3 on: <07-06-15/2051:39> »
As for Radiation there's rules covering that in Run and Gun. This covers both exposure effects and radiation damage.

Are you talking in the enviroment thing towards the back or are you talking about a chart somewhere where it has numbers such as 0-6 rad mild, 7-10 danger, 11-15 very dangerous, 16-20 deadly?

Take a look at Called Shots on Vehicles in the Core Rulebook (p. 205 Second Printing).  Shots aimed at tyres are specifically covered there.

thank you!

ScytheKnight

• Ace Runner
« Reply #4 on: <07-06-15/2159:57> »
Both
"Speech"
Thoughts
Astral
Mentor

Seamstress Kitsune Gato

• Newb
« Reply #5 on: <07-06-15/2300:42> »
Both

What book and page is the chart with the numbers then? Will you please tell me?

ScytheKnight

• Ace Runner
« Reply #6 on: <07-07-15/0051:45> »
Well the main rules for Radiation would be Run and Gun P152-153.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Astral
Mentor

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #7 on: <07-08-15/1350:51> »
Sadly for radiation there is no chart that I found, just a list for what the various levels of radiation mean, and how they affect the chatacter.

Treatment of Rad poisioning was a little weak. (As in, you had to read very carfully)
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

Overbyte

• Omae
« Reply #8 on: <07-08-15/1519:56> »
Recently I had a character in my game hit by a Radiation Beam from a Toxic Shaman and I could not really find any solid rules for how to deal with this so I just had the results plot-driven. He took 6P damage which I ruled as "moderate" according to the rules in R&G p152. There are two main ways to cure radiation poisoning that I have found:
1) Cellular Repair treatment  (Chrome Flesh - p156)
2) Anti-rad nanites (Chrome Flesh - p147)
Since they can't afford Cellular Repair treatment, the non-sick player has 72 hours to steal a shipment of nanites to cure his friend (or he will die).
Nothing is foolproof. Fools are so ingenious.

Seamstress Kitsune Gato

• Newb
« Reply #9 on: <07-09-15/1324:26> »
Recently I had a character in my game hit by a Radiation Beam from a Toxic Shaman and I could not really find any solid rules for how to deal with this so I just had the results plot-driven. He took 6P damage which I ruled as "moderate" according to the rules in R&G p152. There are two main ways to cure radiation poisoning that I have found:
1) Cellular Repair treatment  (Chrome Flesh - p156)
2) Anti-rad nanites (Chrome Flesh - p147)
Since they can't afford Cellular Repair treatment, the non-sick player has 72 hours to steal a shipment of nanites to cure his friend (or he will die).

Run and Gun states that Magical Healing can also be used. What would your suggestion be for that? The Heal spell perhaps as it heals damage caused by disease/poison/gouging/repairing of limps still attached

Really frustrating that Catalyst Game Labs has missions in a radioactive part of Chicago and No Charts or clear cures on how to heal it. Especially for new players.

We also fought a Toxic Shaman with Toxic Spirit. The Shaman had ridiculously high Edge so I knew we were in trouble with my Adept did only 2 damage with a Stick and Shock with Static Shaft. I had to take out the Incindiary arrows on him and I got lucky and got through the spirits armor and hit it with an incidndiary too, then killed it with a magical combat knife weapon focus. They used Acid stream and Sludge on us but no radiation magic. If there is magic to produce Radiation, there should be magic to remove radiation.

Overbyte

• Omae
« Reply #10 on: <07-09-15/1516:05> »
Run and Gun states that Magical Healing can also be used. What would your suggestion be for that? The Heal spell perhaps as it heals damage caused by disease/poison/gouging/repairing of limps still attached

So.. the character who was hit is a Shaman. He has (because of his back story) a very strong aversion to modern medicine/doctors/hospitals so did not get the help of a Medkit. He did throw a Heal spell on himself. The original damage was a 6P, and he healed 3 points of that. So he is still at 3P of radiation damage. He couldn't go to hospital because of his aversion and because he is SINless so he was resting up on someone's couch until he got so sick the other player called in a Bear Shaman street doc. By this point thought, the street doc couldn't do much except "stabilize" him and make him comfortable since magical healing had already been applied. Since all the damage wasn't cured, I ruled the patient is still affected by some radiation poisoning and for purely plot fun I made this like "Moderate" exposure since the original was 6P. If I went by the reduced value 3P. I might have ruled "Mild", giving him some naseau and allowed him to recover naturally but I wanted the plot hook and the urgency, etc.

But the rules are woefully inadequate here. And I looked in all my books for help.

In Run and Gun:
Mild Exposure - Like other mild environments the average metahuman will be fine here for a half a day or so but they’ll start feeling effects around twenty-four hours or so, as the radiation makes them experience Nausea (p. 409, SR5) at Power 2. The Power of the Nausea then increases by 1 every twelve hours. R&G p152
This is for standing around in the environment I assume and doesn't say what happens after you leave.

Moderate Exposure- Average metahumans last about 18 hours before Nausea at Power 3 kicks in. The Power increases by 1 every six hours. After seventy-two hours, the Nausea and other effects ravage the body so much that the body essentially gives up and abandons consciousness. R&G p152
Also for standing around in the environment I guess and doesn't say what happens after you leave.
Then they have the harsher environments which leave you giving off radiation afterwards..

In Street Grimoire:
Radiation attacks cause Physical damage. Armor provides no dice to resist Radiation damage, unless it has an upgrade to provide Radiation resistance, which provides dice equal to its rating for the Damage Resistance Test and the following Toxin Resistance Test. Treat every Radiation attack that hits as a toxin causing Nausea (see Toxins, p. 408, SR5) with a DV equal to net hits of the attack (before the Damage Resistance roll). SG p105
That's not really a lot of information either, except that you get hit with nausea.. Then what? Does it get worse? Are there lasting effects? Does it require special treatment?

Some healing rules I've found:

Augmented healing has proven the only therapeutic technique to heal radiation damage, even in cases of acute radiation poisoning. Augmentation p84
Which oddly conflicts with..
Cellular Repair: This specialized regenerative treatment repairs permanent cellular damage caused by neurotoxins or radiation, eradicates resulting disabilities, restores attribute loss due to disease or severe physical trauma, and even heals Essence loss inflicted by a critter with the Energy Drain or Essence Drain powers (see p. 288, SR4, and p. 99, Street Magic). It will not fix  hereditary problems or disabilities integral to the subject’s own genetic expression Augmentation p88

Anti-Rad in the new Chrome Flesh says:
Anti-rad nanites bind contaminants in a solvent cage and inject damaged or mutated cells with a compound that induces cell death. CF p147
but also says:
Anti-rad nanoware reduces the Power of radiation damage by its Rating. Anti-rad is intended as a prophylactic measure and is unable to eliminate metastasized cancers or pre-existing cell mutations. CF p147
Which seems slightly contradictory to me.

And then there is:
Cellular Repair: This specialized regenerative treatment repairs permanent cellular damage caused by neurotoxins, radiation, magic, and other extreme sources. CF p156

Generally in SR, damage and healing are very abstracted, although B&B gives some more extensive rules. However, I find even those rules to be pretty inadequate and healing times to be FAR too quick so I am in the process of making some house rules for natural healing times and long-term recovery. But for radiation? <throws hands up in the air> Who knows?
That's why I decided just to go with a plot device for maximum "fun".
Nothing is foolproof. Fools are so ingenious.

Shaidar

• Omae
« Reply #11 on: <12-18-17/2120:01> »
There is also the Decontamination Spell in the PDF book Shadow Spells pg 18.

legionof1

• Newb
« Reply #12 on: <12-21-17/0214:39> »
I would treat long term radiation effects as a long acting disease or similar debuff. Pick an interval of time after which the character get to roll to reduce the power further. Repeat until all damage/power of the effect is gone.

Also if the character got a really hefty exposure(or a long period of minimal exposure) you might give them the blighted quality from Run and Gun.

It actually takes a fairly hefty dose of direct radiation to kill a living person just from the radiation sickness. Your far more likely to die of secondary effects, like infection from widespread open sores, strokes/heart attacks from damaged circulation, or toxic shock cause your liver gets overworked. If you have effective medical care your probably fine, which magical healing would cover most of the secondary issues.