NEWS

[SR4] Can you parry a pistol? (Defend against ranged in melee?)

• 7 Replies

jerryme

• Newb
  • Power level: over 9000
« on: <09-20-14/1057:21> »
Hi guys,

i can't find an answer to this:
When you're in melee range and your opponent decides to rather shoot you, do you treat it as ranged or melee defense test?
Specifically do you get Rea+dodge+dodge on full defense, even when you sparring partner uses a gun?

I kind of expect the answer yes, because melee chars would have a bad time otherwise, but I can't find it in the rules.

Thanks for your help,

Erling

• Chummer
« Reply #1 on: <09-20-14/1124:43> »
According to RAW it's a ranged attack anyway.
SR1++SR2++SR3+++SR4+SR5+h++IE-W++hk++sa++++sh+hm--m-gm+M-P

emsquared

• Ace Runner
  • Super Perfundo
« Reply #2 on: <09-21-14/1813:54> »
I've never seen it interpreted any other way, if the Attacker is using a ranged weapon, its resolved as a ranged attack, no question or other option. Though keep in mind the Attacker has a -3 modifier to his attack for being engaged in melee (which, yes, is then mostly offset by the +2 bonus for point blank range, but I could see a House Rule that the point blank bonus does not apply if engaged in melee).

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #3 on: <09-23-14/1104:03> »
Ranged attack means defending against it as a ranged attack. Period. If your player tries to argue on this point, beat him with the phonebook until the stupid stops. If at any point he mentions D&D monks, use the hard edge of the phonebook.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

Kincaid

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #4 on: <09-23-14/1350:39> »
iirc, there is a martial arts technique in Run & Gun that makes you more difficult to shoot while in melee combat with the shooter, which I took as your efforts to control your opponent's forearm/hand to prevent him from lining up a shot.
Killing so many sacred cows, I'm banned from India.

eximius

• Newb
« Reply #5 on: <01-07-15/0000:35> »
iirc, there is a martial arts technique in Run & Gun that makes you more difficult to shoot while in melee combat with the shooter, which I took as your efforts to control your opponent's forearm/hand to prevent him from lining up a shot.

In which case it is Specific vs. General, me thinks.

The problem with melee-blocking a ranged attack is you'd have to block it *before* the pulled the trigger... which is grappling or something and really not representative of a 'dodge'.

Herr Brackhaus

• Prime Runner
« Reply #6 on: <01-07-15/0645:39> »
Parry? No. Clinch? Yes.

The Clinch martial arts technique states that the technique imposes a negative dice pool modifier to ranged attacks equal to the net hits of the clinch maneuver. A skilled martial artist could therefore make it very difficult to use a ranged weapon in melee.

SpellBinder

• Omae
« Reply #7 on: <01-07-15/1538:30> »
Yes, and No.  Since it's SR4, you're wanting to look in Arsenal, not Run & Gun.  Martial Arts like Firefight, Krav Maga, and Sangre y Acero all have options that allow you to reduce the ranged combat "attacker in melee combat" penalty, and combined will negate it entirely.