NEWS

New Gm needs Tips

• 12 Replies

jakk9000

• Newb
« on: <11-21-10/2256:45> »
Hi all I am a newb GM and I need help.

How do I handle Players getting contacts in game?

Tips for noob shadowrun runs?

How to generate npcs for combat that should rarely happen I hope?

GM Screen and where can I find a hard copy?

Kot

• Ace Runner
  • Meaow
« Reply #1 on: <11-22-10/0258:25> »
Player Contacts are NPC's whose background and character you discuss with your players. And you have an easy Loyalty/Connections rating to help you with that, so feel free to take it as a good suggestion of how good and how friendly that contact NPC is. And remember, they're still NPC's, so they can get pissed by player's actions, die in a shoot-out, if they get involved (by the players), or suffer other conswquences of player actions.

Keep it small, but hard. I'll post a few suggestions:
Smash and Grab:  Infiltrating a small-time razor gang turf to get an item/package they managed to steal from the employer.
Wetwork: Cacking a violent pimp/dealer who hurt someone important to your contact.
Data Steal: Getting some dusty old data from a barely working terminal in the barrens, where wild things lurk.
Bodyguard: Protecting a salarywoman from stalker-turned-vr-lover.
Acquisition: Delivering a fresh or live (bonus!) Wyrd Mantis to a talislegger.
Tracking/Shadowing: Finding the source of faulty cybereyes hitting the streets, that are bypassing the local channels.

You don't really need to worry. There are enough of them in the Rulebook (use Contacts and Proffesionals as framework) and Runner's Companion. And they either pay for them with Karma, or do something to get their Loyalty in-game (like saving their ass from a gang, or corp hitmen).

GM Screen and where can I find a hard copy?
Here for example. I can get it in Poland, so you shouldn't have any problems. :P
« Last Edit: <11-22-10/1147:37> by Kot »
Mariusz "Kot" Butrykowski
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup."

Crossbow

• Prime Runner
« Reply #2 on: <11-22-10/0315:28> »
New contacts are a great way of rewarding good roleplying with, and/or dropping large amounts of nuyen on, NPC's, at least that is my take.  Just find the appropriate connection rating and start the loyalty at 1, let the players do the work from there.

Like I said in the starting module thread, I like food fight and the denver missions for beginners, especially since both are free on the Catalyst homepage.  Food fight also has some pages with charts in the PDF that you can clip to a file folder and make a quick GM screen

A lot of NPC stats are actually found in a booklet called "Contact and Adventures" that is included with the offficial GM screen which you can buy at a store on the homepage too.

Another book to find while you are shopping is On The Run.

Hope that helps, welcome to the shadows

Chaemera

• Omae
  • I may be a mouse, but I have a chainsaw.
« Reply #3 on: <11-22-10/0648:23> »
Hi all I am a newb GM and I need help.

More so than most on here, I'm in the same boat. Only been GMing for 4 sessions, so hopefully my experiences will be at least a little relavent.
If they want to get an NPC during "downtime" between action, I would treat each point of Loyalty or Connection as 2 karma. And I wouldn't let them buy more than loyalty 1 in this manner.

If they're dealing with the people in-game, use your judgement, that's why you're the GM. Decide when/if the players have done "enough" for the NPC that they want to keep in touch. The relationship between the new NPC and existing contacts can also be taken into effect. That Fixer to whom your Loyalty 4 bar-tender contact introduced you to is likely like you faster than some guy you met on the street. After all, you've already got an in.

You know, I can't argue with Kot on this one. Keep it simple, gritty, and make them work their way up the food chain.

When you're looking at mooks, either lift them from the book (and the other sources people have already mentioned). Or, if you're looking for that "something special" to make the mooks from your gang stick out, start with a similar mook, of the right professional rating, and start tweaking. One-for-one swaps work nicely (Automatics for Longarms, Unarmed for Pistols, etc). When picking gear, try to imagine what would be the realistic resources of the group for which these mooks work.

If you more mean "meeting with a contact of a contact" NPC's and you don't intend to have a fight, don't stat them. Just consider which pre-stated mook or 'runner is a "best fit" for the character in the event a fight does break out. Then, when you're RPing said NPC, make notes of the skills you're suggesting he has, how smart/dumb strong/weak, etc as they come up and he'll stat himself (if you ever need to).

As to prime-runners who are supposed to be big-baddies (or future allies), but they'll be encountered in a thoroughly non-combat environment, the same method works, but try to decide how they rate compared to the players (inferior, equal, superior, superhuman; pg. 284 - 285, SR4A) and build them accordingly before you need to use them in a fight. This is a bit more fair to the players than just assigning stats based on "feels right", since you eventually expect them to be trying to kill each other (or helping each other kill someone else).
SR20A Limited Edition # 124
Obsidian Portal Profile: http://www.obsidianportal.com/profile/chaemera

Nomad Zophiel

• Omae
  • Zophiel by name. Nomad by profession.
« Reply #4 on: <11-22-10/0659:51> »

Honestly, my answers to all the other questions were already handled. Contacts=roleplaying decides. Starting mission=Stuffer Shack. Books listed for other NPC's.

BUT

one of my favorite tricks for building an NPC team to put the fear in the PC's goes like this. Photocopy all the character sheets. Change names, races, background details etc. Add 1 to any skill that you think will be relevant. Make some minor changes to gear and/or implants to make it less obvious (swap guns, ammo types or implant weapons for something similar but not identical and modify armor slightly). Once they're not recognizable, throw back at the PC's as enemies. Players tend to know what the most dangerous combinations are, let them do the thinking for you a bit.

jakk9000

• Newb
« Reply #5 on: <11-22-10/1116:06> »
Kot: The link doesn't seem to work.

Thx all I am sure it will help me a lot with the tips you gave me ^_^

Kot

• Ace Runner
  • Meaow
« Reply #6 on: <11-22-10/1148:17> »
It should now. For some reasons it was deleted partially. Maybe those forum Gremlins don't like Amazon?
Mariusz "Kot" Butrykowski
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup."

jakk9000

• Newb
« Reply #7 on: <11-22-10/1843:54> »
lol

Doc Chaos

• Omae
  • Bavarian Mr. Johnson
« Reply #8 on: <11-23-10/0657:19> »
On a note for contacts, I never give their ratings to players. Let them figure those out through roleplay, way more fun.
SR4A Limited Edition [german] - 0478/1100

voydangel

• Omae
  • SR GM since 1990. Damn I'm old.
« Reply #9 on: <11-23-10/1846:01> »
As a side note - is there an anniversary edition of the GM screen?
My tips for new GM's
Unless it is coming from an official source, RAI = "Rules As Imagined."
SR1+SR2+SR3++SR4++SR5+++h+b+++B+D382UBIE-RN---DSF-W+m+(o++)gm+MP

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #10 on: <11-23-10/1928:02> »
A new GM Screen will be included in the Runner's Toolkit set coming soon.

Coldbringer

• Newb
« Reply #11 on: <11-26-10/1111:15> »
Contacts: new ones should flow easily from game play, referrals from existing contacts are a good way to add new ones. Improving loyalty ratings usually involves roleplaying or sending business or nuyen their way.  If you want to go the karma route, don't make it too cheap.

Starting runs keep it simple, keep it dark/gritty. Also find out what your players want. Their starting skills and contacts can give you a lot of hints as can starting qualities.

As far as the opposition goes tweeking the archetypes in the core booked is a good source for more eleite antagonists at.lower levels.
http://veggeek.wordpress.com
Gaming, pop culture and what not.

The_Gun_Nut

• Ace Runner
« Reply #12 on: <11-26-10/1847:08> »
Another word on contacts:  They don't have to be friendly.

My group threatened with painful death coerced a checkpoint cop into letting them pass.  They later gave him a leg up in the ranks when they crashed a van full of drugs and dead Yakuza into his checkpoint assisted him in taking down a group of drug smugglers.  Now that he has a better job in the ranks of Lone Star, they call on him for favors every so often, and even throw their enemies under his bus throw a few choice bits of intel his way.
There is no overkill.

Only "Open fire" and "I need to reload."