NEWS

Creating a hacker

• 42 Replies

theKernel

• Omae
  • I believe you like it served cold -Matador
« on: <11-06-10/1418:53> »
Need some help. Want him to be immersed and mainly a brute hacker, just to keep it simple you know?
HACK THE PLANET
Theres no place like 127.0.0.1
Always start and end character creation by asking yourself "why is this character not an ork." If you don't have a good answer you should be an ork. -UmaroVI
"Stay at least one lie ahead of everyone else"-Vitriol
SR4+++hbB?!Wdk++o+++++M+P-

Chaemera

• Omae
  • I may be a mouse, but I have a chainsaw.
« Reply #1 on: <11-10-10/0635:28> »
"Simple"? Okay, so no technomancy. . .

Hot-Sim VR, Stealth program as good as you can get, Exploit program as good as you can get.
Hacking 5 (or 6), specialize in exploit, Cybercombat 4, Electronics 4

You'd probably want some infiltration skills b/c a good GM's going to have some nodes you can only reach from behind corp sec. Buy the best comm-link you can and see if your GM will let you upgrade it (SR4A, pg. 222) before play.

That's the simple stuff, to my mind, I'm sure the more experienced guys are now going to explain what I've told you that's utterly wrong and will get you killed in 2.5 IP.
SR20A Limited Edition # 124
Obsidian Portal Profile: http://www.obsidianportal.com/profile/chaemera

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #2 on: <11-10-10/0902:10> »
That's the simple stuff, to my mind, I'm sure the more experienced guys are now going to explain what I've told you that's utterly wrong and will get you killed in 2.5 IP.
Nah... Sounds good to me too.

Just remember theKernel: Programs, Gear, and Skills are what makes a good hacker.

voydangel

• Omae
  • SR GM since 1990. Damn I'm old.
« Reply #3 on: <11-10-10/1805:51> »
Yea, attributes are fairly worthless to a VR hacker. As FJ said - programs, skills & gear.

Now, if you're talking a combat hacker who does all his cracking in "real time" via AR, then you're looking at a different build altogether. Still need the programs, skills & gear, but then you add in the need for extra gear to speed up your meat-body speeds and what not.
My tips for new GM's
Unless it is coming from an official source, RAI = "Rules As Imagined."
SR1+SR2+SR3++SR4++SR5+++h+b+++B+D382UBIE-RN---DSF-W+m+(o++)gm+MP

theKernel

• Omae
« Reply #4 on: <11-11-10/1659:31> »
if he is completly in the matrix does he need a comlink? im using unwired for the full immersion
HACK THE PLANET
Always start and end character creation by asking yourself "why is this character not an ork." If you don't have a good answer you should be an ork. -UmaroVI

Chaemera

• Omae
« Reply #5 on: <11-11-10/1727:42> »
Yes, you do still need to pick up a commlink. You'll note that the "Full Immersion" lifestyle (Page 38, Unwired, for those wondering) doesn't specify signal (or wired connection), response, system, or firewall. These are defined by your commlink and the OS installed on it. Without them, you have no ability to act in the Matrix.

voydangel

• Omae
« Reply #6 on: <11-12-10/1701:42> »
Yes, you do still need to pick up a commlink. You'll note that the "Full Immersion" lifestyle (Page 38, Unwired, for those wondering) doesn't specify signal (or wired connection), response, system, or firewall. These are defined by your commlink and the OS installed on it. Without them, you have no ability to act in the Matrix.

Unless you're a technomancer.
My tips for new GM's

Chaemera

• Omae
« Reply #7 on: <11-12-10/1737:40> »
Correct, but see the original post & my comment in my first post (namely, "keep it simple").

So technomancers were ruled out from the get-go. :P

voydangel

• Omae
« Reply #8 on: <11-12-10/1817:17> »
ahh, well, fine then. lol - I see how you are!
My tips for new GM's

theKernel

• Omae
« Reply #9 on: <11-12-10/1923:45> »
Thanks guys this really helps ;D
HACK THE PLANET

Wraith235

• Newb
« Reply #10 on: <11-18-10/1739:35> »
Encephalon (2)
Cyberhand with Nanohive and neocortical nanites and pushed Transgenic treatment

Total of +6 dice to Matrix actions (or +3 when in combat as the nanites wont work for that)

also restricted gear for a rating 6 response module

Simsense booster Cyberware and Simsense accelerator Module for the commlink (total of 5 IP in matrix) one of those 2 requires restricted gear ... dont remember which

get 6 programs ... Exploit / stealth / attack / biofeedback filter / Armor and one other with the ergenomic option so that they dont count against your processor limit giving you a load out of 11 programs before response hits

also get an agent for assisting the hack on the fly attempts ....

also Codeslinger (hack on the fly) adds +2 dice to that operation
« Last Edit: <11-18-10/1744:04> by Wraith235 »

Chaemera

• Omae
« Reply #11 on: <11-18-10/1825:29> »
Wraith, you clearly missed the "Keep it simple" caveat back at the beginning of the thread. . .  :P

Seriously, new players should consider sticking to the core rulebook the first time they dive into Shadowrun. I know the old saw about how Russian mothers teach their children to swim (throw them in the river), but I imagine it leads to lots of dead kids.

_-Target-_

• Newb
« Reply #12 on: <11-22-10/1625:23> »
Encephalon (2)

Total of +6 dice to Matrix actions (or +3 when in combat as the nanites wont work for that)

Simsense booster Cyberware and Simsense accelerator Module for the commlink (total of 5 IP in matrix) one of those 2 requires restricted gear ... dont remember which

get 6 programs ... Exploit / stealth / attack / biofeedback filter / Armor and one other with the ergenomic option so that they dont count against your processor limit giving you a load out of 11 programs before response hits

Is this all doable as a 400BP character, cause I have none of the cyberhand,  neohive, the neocortical, or the pushed transgenic treatment.. After doing the entire first Dawn book, I had enough cash to purchase the encelephon, I have the cheaper one of the simesense booster / accelerator (so I only have 4 IP)

I am wondering if I need to reroll my toon lol, I have earned like 33 Karma to date I think I purchased Cracking skillgroup to 5 with most of it..

Dakka

• Omae
« Reply #13 on: <11-22-10/1641:17> »
Encephalon (2)

Is this all doable as a 400BP character, cause I have none of the cyberhand,  neohive, the neocortical, or the pushed transgenic treatment.. After doing the entire first Dawn book, I had enough cash to purchase the encelephon, I have the cheaper one of the simesense booster / accelerator (so I only have 4 IP)

I am wondering if I need to reroll my toon lol, I have earned like 33 Karma to date I think I purchased Cracking skillgroup to 5 with most of it..

Nah... Sounds good to me too.

Just remember theKernel: Programs, Gear, and Skills are what makes a good hacker.

Any hacker out of the box SHOULD have 50 BPs in gear at creation, for 250,000 nuyen.  You can use as much of that as you want on attribute boosters like Muscle Replacement to keep you alive during shootouts and you use the rest on tech. 

R1 Nanohive for 10k and Neocortical Nanites for 15k are a steal for +3 to all Logic linked skills.  PuSHeD is 15k for +1 to all logic linked skills.  Second Hand (just don't ask the doctor where he got it from :P) Encephalon R2 would be 37.5k for +2 to Logic Linked skilltests, and a bonus +1 to VR Matrix tests.  Those 3 things combined give +6 (+7 in VR) to every skill in the Cracking AND Electronics skillgroups and only cost a measly 77.5k or about 15 BPs.  So you COULD have Electronics 4 or you could have Electronics 2 and enough BPs to afford all this stuff.  It's a pretty easy trade off.  That doesn't even add the + Logic skills drugs out there.

_-Target-_

• Newb
« Reply #14 on: <11-22-10/1844:04> »
Holy Smokes, I need to look at my toon lol,  I bought every program at 6, I managed to spend my way through my 250K lol..

Can anyone purchase 2md hand cyber or do you need GM permission, I think our borg'ish character would have loved to save some $ buy 2nd hand