NEWS

[SR5] Rules Clarifications and FAQ

• 1699 Replies

HP15BS

• Chummer
« Reply #1620 on: <10-13-17/1702:14> »
Thanks for the reply, but I'm afraid my group will only listen to official Catalyst sources.

Is this the wrong thread for that?

Edit:
Further evidence is the fact that Confuse Pilot is one of those RCC actions, but its limit is [Attack]   ...   which RCCs don't have.
« Last Edit: <10-27-17/1736:01> by HP15BS »
To Deckers the Foundation really is a crazy place from Alice in Wonderland. How does that stuff just happen? How do they work when everything about them defies logic?
Then a Techno comes, high 5's Caterpillar, takes a swig of Mad Hatter's tea, & wanders away chatting up White Rabbit.
- Marcus Gideon

legionof1

• Newb
« Reply #1621 on: <10-13-17/1745:23> »
You might check the errata subforum to see what's been said there. "Official" word is unfortunately very sparse. Outside of the errata thread there are a few users like Wakshaani that are catalyst employees that could offer insight.

But by and large rules question/clarifications are up to the individual table. There are problems by the truckload in every book published and Catalyst does not have a good track record with publishing corrections.

If your table is gonna stick to RAW and official sources only then your all in for a very unpleasant long term experience. 

Johnson

• Newb
« Reply #1622 on: <10-18-17/0014:58> »
Hello all,

This thread is so long my question may have been already answered and if so I apologize, as a cursory search did not reveal a similar thread. 

I am a Demo agent and are prepping to run the prime missions at the end of the year at a local con and the function of a power focus came up in a discussion that I wanted clarification on.  In the core book it states that a power focus adds to the effective magic rating of the character, and I have not found an errata or a FAQ rule stating otherwise.  One of my players was told by another CDT agent that a power focus only adds to the dice pools of anything involving the magic attribute, and does not add to the effective magic rating.  So as far as drain is concerned or over casting, Magic is not at all effected by a power focus.  Since I can find no evidence of this in any missions document, I can only assume he was told this in error, but I would just like to make sure I haven't missed anything as this will have a significant impact on how I will play any enemy spellcasters in the events I will be running.

Thanks in advance for any ruling or information you all may have.

Tony

&#24525;

« Reply #1623 on: <10-18-17/0123:43> »
Yeah there hasn't been clarification on Power Foci. It'll just be another thing you'll have to bring at the table before things get rolling.

legionof1

• Newb
« Reply #1624 on: <10-18-17/0436:31> »
Like shinobi said there is no official clarification.

Core  319 states "...temporarily increase your effective Magic rating.That means they add to your Sorcery, Conjuring, and Enchanting dice pools, along with any other test where Magic is involved."

The first sentence implies a state of the Foci being a attribute increase for Magic, akin to muscle toner or cerebral booster(important to note power foci as an attribute increase is not subject to augmented maximum). The second sentence could be read as implying a DP bonus only and as such does not apply to any check of "is character magic X" like for determining drain type.

Power Foci while expensive as foci go, are very efficient for resources spent for any character with more then Magic 3. Each level of a power foci is about 15 karma(accounting for 2k newyen=1 karma) or the same cost as raising an attribute from 2 to 3 with karma.  Some folks, myself included, feel that a pure stat increase is too powerful for the price point and use the DP bonus implication to make it a slightly less powerful option to mitigate folks trying to munchkin drain codes.

HP15BS

• Chummer
« Reply #1625 on: <10-25-17/1651:52> »
Where did I get the idea that registered sprite limit is Logic + Submergence Grade?  I just looked through everything I could think of, and found no mention of grade being a factor.

Was it just a house rule / misquoted rule at my table?  Or is it there, and I'm just not seeing it?
To Deckers the Foundation really is a crazy place from Alice in Wonderland. How does that stuff just happen? How do they work when everything about them defies logic?
Then a Techno comes, high 5's Caterpillar, takes a swig of Mad Hatter's tea, & wanders away chatting up White Rabbit.
- Marcus Gideon

oxford_fumble

• Newb
« Reply #1626 on: <11-15-17/1125:23> »
Another question on Fetishe(s):

Is a Fetish a "magical" item, that can be detected by Assensing?
I tried to find a reference, but didn't see anything in the book - on the Assensing table, there is a mention of "The class of a magical subject ( re elemental, manipulation spell, power focus, curse ritual, and so on)' on the 2-success line, which is where detecting Fetishes would fit IF they are detectable.

It becomes an important question when the magician is using Masking to make himself look like a mundane, and mask up to his initiate rank bonded foci. Potentially they could mask fetishes as well if those are detectable by assessing?
« Last Edit: <11-28-17/0719:28> by oxford_fumble »

legionof1

• Newb
« Reply #1627 on: <11-28-17/1755:51> »
@oxford_fumble

I would regard most fetishes as inert objects with regards to assessing, unless the spell is actively being sustained at the moment of the assense test. I think of a fetish as a pipe/filter for the users mana. If there is no mana flowing it is no more astrally remarkable then anything else on the practitioners person.

I would agree that masking would serve to hide an active fetish.

But this is all GM realm as there is no RAW about this to my knowledge.

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #1628 on: <02-04-18/1137:41> »
I apologize for weak Search-Fu but I believe I saw something earlier and now I can't find it again, in reference to the -2 dice pool penalty for defending against AOE attacks:

Do you actually GET any defense tests if you're inside a blast or do you only get a damage resistance test?
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

Sphinx

• Errata Team
  • Omae
« Reply #1629 on: <02-04-18/1305:25> »
I apologize for weak Search-Fu but I believe I saw something earlier and now I can't find it again, in reference to the -2 dice pool penalty for defending against AOE attacks: Do you actually GET any defense tests if you're inside a blast or do you only get a damage resistance test?

There's no defense test against grenades, explosives, or other area-attacks (see grenades, p.181, and area indirect spells, p.283). There are some interrupt actions in Run & Gun worth knowing about (Right Back at Ya, Run for Your Life, p.124-125). Otherwise, skip straight to damage resistance.

The -2 "Targeted by an area-effect attack" defense modifier (SR5, p.189-190) doesn't usually apply, since most area attacks don't allow a defense test in the first place. The only time it seems to matter is defending against a flamethrower attack. 

legionof1

• Newb
« Reply #1630 on: <02-05-18/1543:51> »
well technically the -2 would matter more, if anyone bothered to target a moveing person directly with AOE attacks. Hitting threshold 3 for a specific point just happens to be easier nearly all the time.

catrone3

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Newb
« Reply #1631 on: <03-22-18/0849:34> »
@Sphinx

Aren't you missing the motion sensor trigger and how that one does have a defence roll for it based on its wording? It should be changed to impact trigger instead of motion sensor since it explodes from a sudden stop or directional change, but that is beside the point.

Kincaid

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #1632 on: <03-22-18/0941:05> »
@Sphinx

Aren't you missing the motion sensor trigger and how that one does have a defence roll for it based on its wording? It should be changed to impact trigger instead of motion sensor since it explodes from a sudden stop or directional change, but that is beside the point.

After a session, players and GMs simply aim for the floor at their target's feet.
Killing so many sacred cows, I'm banned from India.

wylie

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
« Reply #1633 on: <04-02-18/1300:43> »
Since I cannot find it with search-fu
I was wondering if alter ballistics, from forbidden arcana, negates a spirits immunity to normal weapons?
Is the bullet considered magic, like a weapon focus?
Or it's just the delivery mechanism, hence the bullet strikes first before the spell can effect a spirit?

Thanks in advance

Marcus

• Prime Runner
  • Success always demands a greater effort.
« Reply #1634 on: <04-02-18/1320:29> »
Certainly the spell that the preparation delivers ignores the immunity.
But nothing in the wording of the spell suggests to me it does. The spells wording is that alter the ballistics properties of the bullet.
Now that fact that it's preparation, which makes it count as a spell I guess open up the argument that would do so.

But that's a separate question falling under characteristics of preparations, or I guess  you could add it to the list of possible effects.
However as written i don't think the spell does, and preparation question is also hard one to call, RAW I don't think it does. But again there is certainly room for debate on the topic. But please start another topic to have it.

*Play-by-Post color guide*
Thinking
com
speaking