NEWS

Shadowrun 5 Errata

• 560 Replies

Chummer 5 is Alive

• Omae
« Reply #480 on: <07-25-17/1923:38> »
Which just means that it's a house rule. It's not official, and it's not going to be official unless higher-ups change their mind.

Novocrane

• Ace Runner
« Reply #481 on: <07-26-17/0329:10> »
Yup.

Some of the shifter errata was not given final approval. I was overruled; the line developer has that option. It's still listed as "Provisional" in the forum post, and will remain so, but ultimately it wasn't my call.

"Provisional" is equivalent to "I think it should be like this, but it ain't."

Trillinon

• Newb
« Reply #482 on: <08-12-17/0131:25> »
Something I noticed when really digging into how barriers work is that the armor values for barriers (CRB, page 197) were unchanged between SR4 and SR5, even though weapon damage and other armor values were increased by 50%. With the penetrating weapons rules, this has left ballistic glass unable to stop even a hold-out pistol if the character rolls any a single hit on the attack roll. I suspect that this is in error, and that the armor values should all be increased by 50%.

UnLimiTeD

• Omae
« Reply #483 on: <08-12-17/0935:13> »
"Provisional" is equivalent to "I think it should be like this, but it ain't."
So, how do we know what has been rejected for some reason (kinda weird at times when the change is in the european versions), and what has simply not found it's way in for one reason or another?
Still waiting on a Vector-Thrust Liminal Body.

&#24525;

« Reply #484 on: <08-12-17/1207:05> »
We don't.

Chummer 5 is Alive

• Omae
« Reply #485 on: <09-28-17/1005:47> »
Page 368 lists qualities that confer Notoriety when you take them. In the case of qualities like Gremlins that have multiple levels, do you receive a notoriety penalty for each level of the quality? For qualities that can be taken multiple times (like Addiction), does the penalty apply each time, or is it one and done? If you remove the quality in play, does your Notoriety drop?

KatoHearts

• Newb
« Reply #486 on: <09-28-17/1458:31> »
You can't get notoriety from the same source more than once. You kill a johnson you get noto from killing a johnson. You won't get more for killing more because you're already known for that.

&#24525;

« Reply #487 on: <09-28-17/1714:24> »
I don't know. I feel like murder spree of J's would have more impact than a one time thing.

Kiirnodel

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #488 on: <09-28-17/1724:24> »
Maybe they just meant you can't get more notoriety for that same thing. In other words, you can't get another point of Notoriety for having already killed that Johnson.

Not the best example, but maybe use "dealing with a dragon" instead. If you make a deal with Lofwyr, you get Notoriety. If you continue to deal with Lofwyr, it doesn't result in more Notoriety. However, if you start dealing with Celedyr too, that's worth more Notoriety.

So I guess if we go back to the first example, if you kill a Johnson, you get Notoriety. If he somehow miraculously comes back from the dead, and you kill him again, not worth any more Notoriety. People already know you killed him, they aren't surprised when you do it again. Go off and kill another Johnson? worth more Notoriety.

To answer the original question, however. I think it is just "having the negative quality" that results in a point of Notoriety. The system never mentions that the scale of the quality affects how much notoriety you get, and even when the various qualities have different values (karma- and effect-wise) they are all still worth just 1 notoriety (with the exception of Bad Rep, whose effect is specifically +3 Notoriety).
It doesn't matter how bad your gremlins are, word gets out that you are a jinx so you get notoriety.
« Last Edit: <09-28-17/1727:07> by Kiirnodel »

KatoHearts

• Newb
« Reply #489 on: <09-28-17/1814:22> »
"Characters cannot earn a Notoriety point for something for which they have already received a point." Page 368 Core. Think general rather than specific. Instead of "Made a deal with Lofwyr/Celedyr" think "Made a deal with a dragon" because runners aren't going to see a difference between dealing with the two.

Carmody

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #490 on: <09-28-17/1902:07> »
If you get a point of Notoriety for killing a Johnson you won't get another one for killing another Johnson because it's the same thing.
But after 10 cold Johnson, you may get a Notoriety point of mass murder of Johnson, which may be considered different (I would)
My profile picture is a crop of Alfredo Lopez Jr  Mickey/Wolverine.

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« Reply #491 on: <10-02-17/0141:57> »
Yyyyyeah, no.  'For something' does not mean 'for a category', it means for a thing, an action.  Would you like for Street Cred to be done the same way, getting 1 Street Cred for being exceptional during a run, and never again?  No, of course not - in part because Street Cred is usable, expendable.  Remember using 2 Street Cred in order to remove a point of Notoriety?

Kill a Johnson, earn Notoriety.  Go kill another one, earn another point of Notoriety.  Please note that this sort of thing depends on the action; killing a Johnson in cold blood when he's been dealing with you in good faith is going to earn you a point of Notoriety every time you do it, while killing a Johnson because he's double-crossing you and shooting first isn't going to make you take that hit, because the people in the Shadows are going to learn what happened sooner or later, and usually sooner.

When it comes to a starting character gaining Notoriety from a Negative Quality, while I can understand the impulse to hit them for every (or several) levels of a multi-level Quality, I think it would be extremely debilitating to do so; leave it as a singleton.
Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.

Chummer 5 is Alive

• Omae
« Reply #492 on: <11-06-17/0853:21> »
From the new errata, what's the intention behind allowing Physical Adepts to purchase skills from the magical skill groups if their limitations on page 69 still apply? Does the ability to take these skills now entitle an adept to take the Dedicated Conjurer or Dedicated Spellslinger mastery qualities from Forbidden Arcana? Are otherwise-mundane dual-natured entities (Infected, shapeshifters, etc.) that aren't magic users now unable to purchase Assensing or Arcana?

Carmody

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #493 on: <11-06-17/0938:36> »
The intention is simply that in SR5 there are no "quality that provides a Magic rating". It was a leftover from SR4 where the magician/adept/mystic adept, etc. were qualities.

That being said, your point is fully valid.
My profile picture is a crop of Alfredo Lopez Jr  Mickey/Wolverine.

Iron Serpent Prince

• Omae
« Reply #494 on: <12-01-17/1912:34> »
As per this DumpShock thread, are Foci bound by tradition?

It was called out as anyone can use any Foci, regardless of Tradition directly in 3e, but not at all since.

So the question is; was that a deliberate cut, or (perhaps more likely) an accidental one?

In 5e, if I am a follower of the Shamanic Tradition, and I bind and use a Hermetic Tradition focus?