Recent Posts

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]
Looking for Games / Re: Brand New Player, Looking for an online group
« Last post by Zerbor0n on (09:07:35/01-17-18) »
Hi, I would like to join as well, if there is room left. Am new to playing shadowrun but familiar with the rules and have some experience with other RPGs.
Character creation and critique / Re: Fangs as a weapon foci
« Last post by ZeldaBravo on (08:25:04/01-17-18) »
I believe not eating, enduring pain, and overcoming mundane infections are not much of a problem for a vampire.
Gear / Re: GunHeaven3 Assault Rifles
« Last post by welldressedgent on (03:04:24/01-17-18) »

Okay, that makes sense - their intent is -1. Good to know. Thx

g
« Last post by Reaver on (23:27:18/01-16-18) »
Either way, though, the tattoo would be pretty obvious, probably a decent sized facial tattoo around the mouth.

What do you think about a tattoo inside the mouth? The inner side of cheeks, the gums, the tongue...

If you are foolish and tough enough to sit through at needle going in and out of some of the most nerve packed issue in the human body 1000 times a second, AND want to risk the infection that is very likely to set in (mouth is not very clean), as well as put up with the scabbing that happens, making eating almost impossible, fly at it.
Character creation and critique / Re: First Character
« Last post by Glyph on (23:17:35/01-16-18) »
"His job"... you're actually off to a good start right there.  A lot of new players plunge right into their character's background without asking the question - what does the character DO?  So prioritize the things you want to do - sneak, hack, negotiate deals or bamboozle people, fight (lots of ways to do this), patch up your wounded comrades, or be the getaway driver.  I'm probably missing a few, but you get the idea.  You start out with limited resources, so it usually works out best to be very good at your main job, and just passable in a few other areas.

In general, pick up the skills to do your job at a high rating, then get the Attributes that go with those skills at a high rating.  Skill + Attribute + modifiers gives you a dice pool, which is a number of dice that your roll to see if you succeed in a task or not.  Dice pools are the main mechanic of the game, so you want a high one for your job.  After getting a high skill and a high Attribute, look for the ways you can increase the dice pool further - magic, cybernetic augmentations, or gear. 

Example - Eddie the street samurai is good with his gun.  First, he has Agility of 6 and a pistols skill of 6, specializing in semi-automatics (specializations can be added to skills, giving you a +2 bonus to a narrower area within that skill), then, he gets used muscle toner: 3 to raise his Agility to 9, a reflex recorder to add 1 to his pistols skill, and cybernetic eyes with a smartlink (paired with a smart gun) for a +2 bonus.  So all told, Eddie rolls 20 dice to shoot people (although dice pools have situational modifiers - darkness, long range, etc. - that can lower your dice pool).
Character creation and critique / Re: First Character
« Last post by fseperent on (23:08:41/01-16-18) »
The Shadowrun system favors specialization.
For a Street-level character, focus on characters that don't need much in the way of gear to operate.
Get used to juggling around your priorities.

I like to start by choosing metatype and archetype.

Attributes/Metatype
These form the backbone of your build, so start here.
Play around a bit in Chummer to see how changing your attributes affects your limits.
Metatype, besides allowing you to play a non-human, grant points in that can be put into Edge and Magic.

Skills:
For what your character is supposed to do, the skill and attribute should total 12 or more.
Other skill/attributes should be 9 or 10 minimum.
Perception is a common choice regardless of archetype

Magic:
Unless you plan on playing a mundane, having at least Magic D or C gives a lot of options.

Resources:
At a minimum, you need a commlink, an emergency weapon, and a lifestyle.

Qualities:
There are some options here that can make or break a character.
Feel free to look through them.

Knowledge skills:
You want at least knowledge of where you are operating.

Contacts:
A Mr. Johnson and a fixer at a minimum.

Use this to shore up issues with your build.

I hope this helps with the start of your build.
Go ahead and post the build you got, you will get a lot of advice.
General Discussion / The COG, Episode 002 - Reviewing Bright **SPOILERS**
« Last post by Opti on (22:51:30/01-16-18) »
Hey folks,
Patrick Goodman, SR freelancer and all around good dude, asked me to link to his video blog (since he was having technical issues with the forums). Enjoy!

https://youtu.be/8C8gFzxbyG4
« Last post by ZeldaBravo on (22:12:47/01-16-18) »
Either way, though, the tattoo would be pretty obvious, probably a decent sized facial tattoo around the mouth.

What do you think about a tattoo inside the mouth? The inner side of cheeks, the gums, the tongue...
Character creation and critique / First Character
« Last post by Daffodil on (21:24:43/01-16-18) »
Hey everyone, I might be playing a game of Shadowrun 5e soon and I'd like to put together a character, but I really just don't get it. I've been reading some resources I've been able to find around the net, but it's not really like any game I've played before and I just can't really parse the decision making process. I've downloaded Chummer and I like minmaxing/charop, but mostly I want a character that is competent and will do their job right. Would anyone be willing to walk me through making a Street-level character?
Thank you.

Thatíll be fixed soon along with the Cutting Aces update.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]