NEWS

Is it possible to run Autosofts on multiple drones?

• 20 Replies

Marcus

• Prime Runner
  • Success always demands a greater effort.
« Reply #15 on: <02-23-18/2044:39> »
So let's say it's a given that one purchase of MCT-Rotodrone Maneuvering 3 allows you to run it on one MCT-Rotodrone and only one MCT-Rotodrone.  What if the drone gets destroyed?  Can you re-install that same Autosoft from whatever serves as the 2079 analogue for installation keys or will you have to purchase a new autosoft as well when you get a new drone?

Licencing can be a B*tch, it could be that it only runs that  software ID only runs on that corresponding hardware ID, or you can always go steal the 4th rules and re-skin them to 5th. But keep in mind, hacking in 5th is a different animal from 4th. As soon as taking any hacking action win lose or draw, your clock is running, the same is presumably true about cracking. So unless you happen to have a TM on hand so you can kill counter, I'm assuming it just a question of time until some GOD script tracks down your illegal software.

But Hey that time might be long enough for you to get your job done, and re-wrack the drone. So under RAW it's pretty clear what is intended, what you decied works for your table is whole something else.

Back in 4th we used to joke about the Shadow 6 OS. Back then Cellphones aka commlinks were finest tools of hacking the world had ever known, and you just pay to improve their stats. We figure some group deckers did math and just made an easy release version call shadow 6 or 6 in all stats. Of course they then retired to a comfortable island in the carabe league. But what do you expect out of an editions where all we did was buy super expensive cellphones with high rating bots and let them do all the hacking.

Anyways good luck with whatever way you deiced to go.

*Play-by-Post color guide*
Thinking
com
speaking

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #16 on: <02-23-18/2051:46> »
So let's say it's a given that one purchase of MCT-Rotodrone Maneuvering 3 allows you to run it on one MCT-Rotodrone and only one MCT-Rotodrone.  What if the drone gets destroyed?  Can you re-install that same Autosoft from whatever serves as the 2079 analogue for installation keys or will you have to purchase a new autosoft as well when you get a new drone?

Licencing can be a B*tch, it could be that it only runs that  software ID only runs on that corresponding hardware ID, or you can always go steal the 4th rules and re-skin them to 5th. But keep in mind, hacking in 5th is a different animal from 4th. As soon as taking any hacking action win lose or draw, your clock is running, the same is presumably true about cracking. So unless you happen to have a TM on hand so you can kill counter, I'm assuming it just a question of time until some GOD script tracks down your illegal software.

But Hey that time might be long enough for you to get your job done, and re-wrack the drone. So under RAW it's pretty clear what is intended, what you decied works for your table is whole something else.

Back in 4th we used to joke about the Shadow 6 OS. Back then Cellphones aka commlinks were finest tools of hacking the world had ever known, and you just pay to improve their stats. We figure some group deckers did math and just made an easy release version call shadow 6 or 6 in all stats. Of course they then retired to a comfortable island in the carabe league. But what do you expect out of an editions where all we did was buy super expensive cellphones with high rating bots and let them do all the hacking.

Anyways good luck with whatever way you deiced to go.

I appreciate the discussion as I honestly am looking for opinions about how it should go.  I'm asking for a SRM context where one isn't supposed to just dictate a "house rule" about how he wants it to go :)

Though I'm not clear on what you're saying about my question on whether a 2nd drone of the same make/model/manufacture can use the 1st's autosoft if the 1st isn't using it anymore (drone was destroyed, or software got uninstalled, either way).

Edit:  I suppose the example of how BTL chips work might serve as precedent for how the Sixth World does copy protection.  You can load something once, then once it's loaded the loading medium is forever unusable again.  It seems that might be problematic as you'd have to then repurchase software every time you reboot a drone?  At least every time it got bricked?
« Last Edit: <02-23-18/2101:23> by Stainless Steel Devil Rat »
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

Marcus

• Prime Runner
« Reply #17 on: <02-23-18/2101:40> »
I appreciate the discussion as I honestly am looking for opinions about how it should go.  I'm asking for a SRM context where one isn't supposed to just dictate a "house rule" about how he wants it to go :)

Though I'm not clear on what you're saying about my question on whether a 2nd drone of the same make/model/manufacture can use the 1st's autosoft if the 1st isn't using it anymore (drone was destroyed, or software got uninstalled, either way).

Under raw it doesn't say the software is destroy when the drone is, so assuming that software didn't come as part of the done my rule would be you can move it. But it doesn't say you can ether. So GM call. Way back software were all literal chips, and decks were just programs slots. But we all know that, this stuff lives in the cloud these days, so not having copying rules really doesn't bother me.

Does that open up the exploit where you only a couple lisceanes and run them only on the drones you need them? Sure it does, and I'll agree that probably not what's intended, but there has to be given and take somewhere.
Thinking
com
speaking

PiXeL01

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
  • Sheltering Orks in Osaka
« Reply #18 on: <02-23-18/2156:28> »
This isn’t our world. This is a universe where hyper capitalism has won is such a big way very little escapes the corporations notice. That means everything is done in the name of making more profit and preventing ways of losing means of profit.
Making a program capable of being copied means losing sales and profit so everything is done to prevent that both in coding the programs both also in the drones themselves I’m sure.
If Tom Brady’s a Spike Baby, what does that make Brees and Rodgers?

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #19 on: <02-23-18/2203:30> »
Best way to look at it then is one autosoft to one drone (or to one RCC).  If the drone/RCC gets bricked you can reinstall the autosoft, but you can't install the autosoft on any OTHER drone/RCC ever because of undefined in-universe reasons?

(btw that's not being cheeky, that's honestly seeming like a reasonable synthesis to me)
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

Marcus

• Prime Runner
« Reply #20 on: <02-23-18/2247:16> »
Best way to look at it then is one autosoft to one drone (or to one RCC).  If the drone/RCC gets bricked you can reinstall the autosoft, but you can't install the autosoft on any OTHER drone/RCC ever because of undefined in-universe reasons?

(btw that's not being cheeky, that's honestly seeming like a reasonable synthesis to me)
Baring someone finding something I overlooked that would be how I would play it. But to be totally honest if I was running home game style I'd probably put back in the updated variant of the 4th rules, there would software rolls involved and failure would mean losing the autosoft in question, and the update being something along the lines of as soon as you turn them on the GOD starts looking for them. (Don't get caught!). But I love the drama so take that big grain of salt.
Thinking
com
speaking