NEWS

Goring Horns in Astral Combat

• 7 Replies

Ogrepot

• Newb
« on: <02-15-18/1243:40> »
Ok, i saw some previous topics about goring horns, and how they cannot be weapon foci which is fine.... but can they be used in Astral Combat? The Natural Weapon power on Critters says that Critters with Natural Weapons that are Dual Natured can use them in Astral Combat using the Unarmed Combat skill and dealing their physical damage.
It should be ok with the Fangs of the Hobgoblin since it uses the Unarmed combat skill...
But is it usable for Minotaurs, considering their Goring Horns use the Exotic Weapon Proficiency (Horns), the question also applies to Western Drakes or Bovine Shapeshifters (or the tail of the Feathered Serpent)....
My personal opinion is that it is usable, but honestly i don't know for sure....
Any explicit rule on the subject? or concenssus in the community?
Thanks for the answers; ;D

Marcus

• Prime Runner
  • Success always demands a greater effort.
« Reply #1 on: <02-15-18/1410:05> »
There was discussion of horns being errata'd to unarmed: http://forums.shadowruntabletop.com/index.php?topic=27001.0
But I'm not sure where/if it happened. I don't really see an issue with it, but I don't really think the Dev's care about my opinion on the subject. So i'd go digging and then consult with your GM.
*Play-by-Post color guide*
Thinking
com
speaking

Ogrepot

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: <02-15-18/1620:43> »
Bad news there, i'm the DM..................... :-\

ShadowcatX

• Omae
« Reply #3 on: <02-15-18/1652:12> »
The game absolutely will not break if you allow a minotaur to gore with astral combat while dual natured.

PiXeL01

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
  • Sheltering Orks in Osaka
« Reply #4 on: <02-15-18/1834:13> »
It’s your table so you can do so if you like.
However, horns would count as a sort for natural weapon in my book so go ahead.
If Tom Brady’s a Spike Baby, what does that make Brees and Rodgers?

firebug

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
  • Scraping the bottom of the Resonance Barrel
« Reply #5 on: <02-15-18/2038:55> »
Horns are a natural weapon, and part of the character's astral form because of it, and so could certainly be used in astral combat.  You'd still use Charisma instead of Strength though, and Astral Combat instead of Unarmed Combat.  I do think that's stupid.  I dunno why my adept, who's using her physical body to swing a weapon focus, has to use her Charisma and can't use her Blade skill, despite the fact that physical impact clearly matters (if it didn't, a Weapon Foci Combat Axe wouldn't do more damage than a Weapon Foci Combat Knife) and she's still physically swinging a bladed weapon to strike something...  Well, I suppose if others thing that's also kind of unreasonable I can see what the errata team thinks.

But currently, in RAW, all (of the player's) attacks against astral beings use Astral Combat instead of their normal combat skill, and Charisma in place of Strength.  Having horns wouldn't logically be an exception to the rules.  But since weapon damage is a factor, the horns being used would improve your damage.
« Last Edit: <02-15-18/2041:08> by firebug »
I'm Madpath Moth on reddit (and other sites).  Feel free to PM me errata questions!
Jeeze.  It would almost sound stupid until you realize we're talking about an immortal elf clown sword fighting a dragon ghost in a mall.

ShadowcatX

• Omae
« Reply #6 on: <02-15-18/2103:58> »
I believe it's a throw back to when even mundanes with guns had to use force of personality to harm spirits that were materialized.

firebug

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
  • Scraping the bottom of the Resonance Barrel
« Reply #7 on: <02-15-18/2105:26> »
I believe it's a throw back to when even mundanes with guns had to use force of personality to harm spirits that were materialized.

That sounds believable.  I assume that's what they used to mean by "immunity to normal weapons", before it became "just a fuckton of armor against them, but a rocket launcher can still do work"?
I'm Madpath Moth on reddit (and other sites).  Feel free to PM me errata questions!
Jeeze.  It would almost sound stupid until you realize we're talking about an immortal elf clown sword fighting a dragon ghost in a mall.