NEWS

Can Ghouls eat other Ghouls?

• 11 Replies

忍

« on: <11-07-17/1602:22> »
If push came to shove, could a Ghoul eat another for sustenance?

Hobbes

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <11-07-17/1717:05> »
I don't know that there is RAW on HMVV infected being able to drain Essence from other HMVV infected.  RAI is probably not, but I can't quote you a page number on that.

legionof1

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: <11-07-17/1754:07> »
The entry for ghouls on 138 of run faster only dictates a meta-human flesh dietary requirement. If a ghoul is still a meta-human cannibalism would satisfy the stricture.

RAI i would say other ghouls do not satisfy the requirement. But it's a DM call.

Mind that a ghoul needn't subsist entirely on people flesh, just that without it they suffer some manner of nutritional issue. Death via nutritional deficiency takes quite some time. 

The Dragonfall game had a side quest dealing with ghouls being "fed" by the local chop shop. The impression was that a even a smallish medical operation produced sufficient material to sustain around a dozen ghouls and that it took days to weeks for the absence to affect the ghouls. Generally by turning feral from general hunger rather then the specific lack.

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #3 on: <11-15-17/0011:39> »
RAW, I see nothing against it. RAI? Probably not, though in some of the novels Infected have eaten eachother before, so while they wouldn't get sick from it, I don't know whether they'd be able to get the Essence they need from it. Also, I can't guarantee what being a ghoul (or other form of Infected) would do for the taste.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

Opti

• Freelancer
  • Omae
« Reply #4 on: <11-15-17/0017:17> »
Yes, but...

SpellBinder

• Omae
« Reply #5 on: <11-15-17/0127:50> »
Well, there is an entry in the Storm Front book where Queen Thema Laula of Asamando dies and her daughter eats her heart.  It is at least official that ghouls can and will eat other ghouls.

And who's to say that Martin de Vries never subsisted his need for Essence by draining some of the very vampires he himself killed.

This is one of those things that is sadly not expressly forbidden or granted by RAW, but the pieces themselves do point that the infected can feed on themselves as well.  Considering how virulent HMHVV-III was written in SR4's material it stands to reason that the ghoul apocalypse never came about due the more feral ghouls feeding on other feral ghouls.  Even a predator will scavenge and be cannibalistic if survival dictates it.

Duellist_D

• Chummer
« Reply #6 on: <11-29-17/2320:11> »
As of Dark Terrors:
They definitely can and its enough to sustain them.

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #7 on: <11-30-17/0712:19> »
which leads one to really wonder why Asmondo had all those ferals in cages...
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #8 on: <11-30-17/1209:10> »
which leads one to really wonder why Asmondo had all those ferals in cages...
Just because you CAN eat ghost peppers doesn't mean you necessarily LIKE it.

My Characters

Duellist_D

• Chummer
« Reply #9 on: <12-01-17/2123:24> »
Exactly. I mean, you could perfectly well eat (many parts) of humans, but even disregarding legality, your probably wouldn't if you had the choice.

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #10 on: <12-03-17/1858:51> »
Exactly. I mean, you could perfectly well eat (many parts) of humans, but even disregarding legality, your probably wouldn't if you had the choice.

Until you shake to death...  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kuru_(disease)

Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #11 on: <12-04-17/0110:22> »

Until you shake to death...  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kuru_(disease)
CURE DISEASE
(ESSENCE)
Type: M Range: T
Duration: P Drain: F – 4
This spell is used at any point after infection to help a
patient overcome illness. The infected character receives
a number of additional dice on her Disease Resistance
Test equal to the spell’s net hits until the patient recovers
(or dies). It does not heal any damage already inflicted by
the disease (that requires a separate Healing spell).

My Characters