NEWS

[SR5] The Matrix: Clarifying the Rules, Amping the Awesome

• 176 Replies

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« on: <03-01-13/2102:32> »
Quote from: Jason Hardy
Okay, let me be clear on one thing right off the bat: This is going to take more than one post to cover everything going on with the Matrix.

Designing a new edition of Shadowrun would be a lot easier if there was nothing cool about the Matrix. If it didn’t play an integral part in runs, or if it didn’t present some great scenes with vivid cyberpunk atmosphere. Because if that were the case, we could just take the sometimes problematic (speaking charitably) Matrix rules and excise them, put them in an expansion, and call it a day.

But the Matrix is more than just cool and useful—it’s an integral part of the Shadowrun setting. So we knew that one if the primary tasks of Shadowrun, Fifth Edition was making a more fun, user-friendly Matrix.

As was the case throughout the development of Shadowrun, Fifth Edition, we set out goals that would help guide us. Here’s the first group, with commentary on what we did about those goals.

Click here to learn more.

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <03-01-13/2112:32> »
Been waiting on this.  Glad to see they're making sure hackers have a combat role that actually works in a reasonable time frame.  Rather curious as to the form that "noise" is going to take, though...  Still waiting to hear how they're changing technomancers to work with the skill+attribute Matrix, too, because that will need to be a big change.

And as if there was ever any question about wireless staying - it would be ridiculous for it to disappear and very bad for the game in terms of bringing in new players.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

Wildcard

• Omae
  • Hex.tall was here.
« Reply #2 on: <03-01-13/2135:14> »
And as if there was ever any question about wireless staying - it would be ridiculous for it to disappear and very bad for the game in terms of bringing in new players.

I wouldn't mind wireless staying for convenience issues. Bring your car to you, start up the oven, check your bank account, etc.

When they were pushing wireless for the sake of pushing wireless, that's when I had an issue with it. "All security cameras, clearance gateways and gun turrets are operated through a completely insecure method now, because... uh... Well because."  I realize that varies from table to table, but it's always boggled my mind when printed scenarios had key components of their operation on open wireless.

I had really hoped that the inclusion of decks would see a return to the awesome, but it looks like 5th is taking the easy route by copying as much as 4th as possible.

I'm probably sounding more butthurt about their decision then I actually am, but I am a bit depressed that they took the easy way out here.
I was permanently banned from the forums for consistently attacking my fellow posters and trolling the boards. I thought I could get "revenge" on FastJack for being banned by updating my sig to insult him, but all it proved was how much of an idiot I am.

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #3 on: <03-01-13/2153:32> »
Wireless security cameras and such are already pretty common.  The spread of wireless isn't "just because", it's a case of verisimilitude.  And at the end of the day, with wireless in play, in practical terms wired cameras wouldn't be all that much more secure anyways, because you'd get in the system from somewhere else and then go to the camera from there.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

Redwulfe

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
« Reply #4 on: <03-01-13/2205:39> »
Keeping wireless in shadowrun 5th was IMO a necessity. Going backwards would be somewhat of a continuity issue. Though I'm sure they could write it in in one fashion or another. I like that the iconic terminology of decker is comming back but still wonder at the emergence of decks, even though they are not the decks we remember. I guess it could be a storyline of corporations intentionally making th hardware in comlinks less able to suport the programs that would be needed to power through the matrix and havkers in respond create more powerful machines that they termed in retro fashion decks. I true my can hardly wait for the next edition of the game.

Red
There are 10 kinds of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who don't

Red

*Play-by-Post color guide*
Thinking
com
speaking

Starglyte

• Newb
« Reply #5 on: <03-01-13/2242:12> »
I rather keep Cyberdecks looking like keyboards, but that is just a personal preference. 

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #6 on: <03-01-13/2312:28> »
I'd prefer AR/Holographic keyboards, myself.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

VajraSupremus

• Chummer
« Reply #7 on: <03-01-13/2317:02> »
I always did liken my custom 'link to a pseudo-deck, so this just turns out very well.

PeterSmith

• Ace Runner
« Reply #8 on: <03-01-13/2327:48> »
And at the end of the day, with wireless in play, in practical terms wired cameras wouldn't be all that much more secure anyways, because you'd get in the system from somewhere else and then go to the camera from there.

Assuming you had access to another aspect of the system. With wireless you didn't need to worry about that as much. Just had to get within range.
Power corrupts.
Absolute power is kinda neat.

"Peter Smith has the deadest of deadpans and a very sly smile, making talking to him a fun game of keeping up and slinging the next subtle zinger." - Jason M. Hardy, 3 August 2015

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #9 on: <03-01-13/2335:54> »
And at the end of the day, with wireless in play, in practical terms wired cameras wouldn't be all that much more secure anyways, because you'd get in the system from somewhere else and then go to the camera from there.

Assuming you had access to another aspect of the system. With wireless you didn't need to worry about that as much. Just had to get within range.

Hence the emphasis on practical terms.  Having a completely isolated security system has issues - for example, no scrambling a spider; in fact, your security gets no off-site Matrix support at all.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

AJCarrington

• Global Moderator
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #10 on: <03-02-13/0721:07> »
Initials thoughts are pretty good on this.  I like that wireless is staying...given current real world tech, would be very odd if it hadn't.  I also like the idea of decks...brings back some nostalgia ;D In particular, I read it that decks will be something beyond a PAN...I like the fact that the primary tool of the decker is more that a basic, ubiquitous tool used by everyone.  Looking forward to future installments on this (and would also like to see something similar for magic).

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #11 on: <03-02-13/0736:49> »
I'd expect that decks, much like everything else, will be part of the PAN still...  However, it's pretty clearly a tool for high-powered operation.

And if the hardware for deckers is more powerful, does that mean that the bio-node somehow becomes more powerful as well, suggesting some sort of global technomantic progression?
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

AJCarrington

• Global Moderator
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #12 on: <03-02-13/0739:59> »
Maybe...

I'm seeing it more as "custom hardware" for deckers...much like one can customize weapons...something that makes them a little more "special".  Not sure...guess we'll just have to wait and see ;)

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #13 on: <03-02-13/0742:50> »
Well, technomancers already break the rules as hackers know them on several fronts. Whether it is not being bound by the limitations of Response and System, or being able to thread new programs on the fly, they don't suffer from the same limitations as hackers. (OK, they suffer from different ones, but that's besides the point.) All it would take a technomancer to adjust to the new protocols is to refigure their complex forms to match.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #14 on: <03-02-13/0745:09> »
I'm just saying, the hardware being used for the new Matrix is substantially more powerful.  Given the general parity, rating-to-rating, of technomancers and hackers, I'd expect maintaining the same would imply that technomancers have also become more powerful.  I posit that this suggests a change in the nature of their abilities.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites