NEWS

Dark Twin of the Dragon Slayer

• 13 Replies

Coldbringer

• Newb
« on: <10-23-10/2124:34> »
Looking for some ideas for a twisted/dark twin version of the  Dragon Slayer mentor spirit as one of my player's is straying down a darkish path that is very much antithetical to the dragon slayer.
I am just not sure what way to go, and looking for a few ideas.
http://veggeek.wordpress.com
Gaming, pop culture and what not.

Qemuel

• Chummer
« Reply #1 on: <10-23-10/2148:14> »
I would suggest Dark King (from SR4A) or Adversary (from SM).

Dakka

• Omae
« Reply #2 on: <10-23-10/2149:17> »
There's a lot of ways you could go with it.  If he's losing his funloving side and more interested in the +2 to Combat Spells aspect of Dragonslayer you could have him be adopted by the Shark mentor, suddenly taken over by a rage.  If he's giving up his honorable side but keeping the fun loving side of Dragonslayer he could go Trickster.  If he's abandoning both you could go with Seductress or possibly even Dark King.  

Coldbringer

• Newb
« Reply #3 on: <10-23-10/2355:04> »
I had thought maybe Dark King, but I was thinking a new direction.  The Character is flushing the honorable down the toilet, although I think the player might be a little shocked by a change in the voice whispering in his ear, although it will be a slow change over me thinks.

Dakka

• Omae
« Reply #4 on: <10-24-10/0009:10> »
The Trickster would be a fine mentor for a fallen Dragonslayer.

Qemuel

• Chummer
« Reply #5 on: <10-24-10/0020:22> »
Adversary from Street Magic is akin to the idea of the "fallen angel".  Think of lucifer whispering to eve that the fruit that god forbade is actually good for you.  In the description, Adversary is manipulative and free thinking.  He is an agent of change.  He has issues with authority and likes to march to the beat of his own drum.  He is the "original" rebel working to thwart the powers that be.

He seems like the perfect mentor spirit to start whispering in your player's ear.  Initially, he will sound the same as Dragon Slayer, but over time the differences will become more and more apparent...

Longshot23

• Omae
« Reply #6 on: <10-24-10/0227:26> »
Looking for some ideas for a twisted/dark twin version of the  Dragon Slayer mentor spirit as one of my player's is straying down a darkish path that is very much antithetical to the dragon slayer.

For a dark side version of a Mentor/Totem, take the description and twist it in upon itself.  Hang on, I need to look up Dragonslayer . . . okay.  For Twisted Dragonslayer, change the definition of 'fun' - like, for example, the new idea of fun involves inflicting pain, possibly shedding blood in the process.  Loves a good party - like a BDSM orgy.  Big brother aspect - say, like Bill Paxton's character in 'Weird Science' (not the best example, I know, but it's a start point). 'Dragonslayer fights such modern-day monsters as crime, pollution and corruption' - so, under the dark interpretation, what counts as crime, pollution and corruption?  You could end up with a seriously nutjob crusader-type.

The prime mythological example of Dragonslayer is Thor/Thunor from Norse/Germanic legend, but there are others, if you want to get more specific.  Just think what Thor appears like to an irreconcilably hostile viewpoint/perspective.

voydangel

• Omae
  • SR GM since 1990. Damn I'm old.
« Reply #7 on: <10-25-10/2153:29> »
Looking for some ideas for a twisted/dark twin version of the  Dragon Slayer mentor spirit as one of my player's is straying down a darkish path that is very much antithetical to the dragon slayer.

For a dark side version of a Mentor/Totem, take the description and twist it in upon itself.  Hang on, I need to look up Dragonslayer . . . okay.  For Twisted Dragonslayer, change the definition of 'fun' - like, for example, the new idea of fun involves inflicting pain, possibly shedding blood in the process.  Loves a good party - like a BDSM orgy.  Big brother aspect - say, like Bill Paxton's character in 'Weird Science' (not the best example, I know, but it's a start point). 'Dragonslayer fights such modern-day monsters as crime, pollution and corruption' - so, under the dark interpretation, what counts as crime, pollution and corruption?  You could end up with a seriously nutjob crusader-type.

The prime mythological example of Dragonslayer is Thor/Thunor from Norse/Germanic legend, but there are others, if you want to get more specific.  Just think what Thor appears like to an irreconcilably hostile viewpoint/perspective.

That's pretty much exactly what I was going to say. Take the mentor and just corrupt it. those are some good ideas. Some other examples (to add to Long's list) would include:
Mentor's 'version' of ______ is...
• Fun = involves inflicting pain, possibly shedding blood in the process.
• Loves a good party = Pit fighting. Opium den.
• Big brother aspect = Bill Paxton's character in 'Frailty'. ;)
• A crime = not finishing off a fallen foe or an injured innocent (wouldn't want to cause needless suffering).
• Pollution = "of the mind", anyone who doesn't agree with a certain aspect of the mentors new outlook.
• Corruption = "of the spirit", anyone who would seek to 'pollute' (see above) the minds of the mentors followers.

you can see where this would also intrinsically change what the mentor considered "honorable" for the purposes of the mentor spirit disadvantage. Could be tons of (dark and twisted) fun.

Also -- Odin was pretty dark generally speaking. He would make a pretty good "dark dragonslayer" imo.
« Last Edit: <10-25-10/2156:01> by voydangel »
My tips for new GM's
Unless it is coming from an official source, RAI = "Rules As Imagined."
SR1+SR2+SR3++SR4++SR5+++h+b+++B+D382UBIE-RN---DSF-W+m+(o++)gm+MP

Qemuel

• Chummer
« Reply #8 on: <10-25-10/2230:29> »
Speaking of pollution and corruption... if it gets really bad, he can always go Toxic.  Mentor spirits start on p. 142 of Street Magic.   ;)

Longshot23

• Omae
« Reply #9 on: <11-10-10/0511:29> »
It's virtually impossible to change Mentor Spirits - it's supposed to be a lifetime choice. Ditto for those figures in Unwired who seem to be Mentor analogs.

Coldbringer

• Newb
« Reply #10 on: <11-10-10/0655:00> »
I have always operated that the mentor spirit chooses you, and swapping spirit mentors is never player initiated.

Longshot23

• Omae
« Reply #11 on: <11-10-10/0835:35> »
That makes a kind of sense.  I just don't see changing Mentors - ah, hell, i'm gonna stick with Totems as the term - as more than incredibly rare.  I believe it's intended that way.  Likewise, changing from hermetic to shamanic - it doesn't happen without a fundamental shift happening somewhere - on the order of a high-level astral quest-ordeal . . . and NEVER as the point of the quest.  Something about the nature of magic says to me that such a shift would be an Unintended Consequence.

I can imagine munchkins trying various things, like multiple Totems or convenient (for them) retconning.

As a side note, it would be interesting to know Man-of-Many-Names' Totem.

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #12 on: <11-10-10/0906:49> »
He's a special case. I actually don't want to know who he's following. Because it's probably waaaaaaay beyond anything else in the world. Remember, he knew about the Invae before anybody else. And his spirit friends told him.

Longshot23

• Omae
« Reply #13 on: <11-10-10/2240:48> »
He's a special case. I actually don't want to know who he's following. Because it's probably waaaaaaay beyond anything else in the world. Remember, he knew about the Invae before anybody else. And his spirit friends told him.

I would say that none of my characters would want to know Many-Names' Totem, but I as player, potential GM and interested SR observer would like to know.

It's not going to happen though - he's always going to be enigmatic, it's his function LOL