NEWS

Odd things, those sniper rifles.

• 52 Replies

John Schmidt

• Omae
« Reply #30 on: <09-06-10/0818:41> »
Gas Vent and sound suppressor?
It's not the one with your name on it; it's the one addressed "to whom it may concern" you've got to think about.

Kontact

• Prime Runner
  • You called?
« Reply #31 on: <09-06-10/0856:33> »
Yeah, you can switch between Suppression and Gas vent with a "changed linked device modes" action.

You know, for when you go full auto on your.. semi-automatic.. sniper rifle..  ???

Caine Hazen

• Global Moderator
  • Omae
  • Dumpshocker Emeritus
« Reply #32 on: <09-06-10/1155:43> »
IMS, it is a 30mm HE cannon round.
I kinda figured 20-25mm myself, kinda like the "smartrounds" from the OICW's grenade launcher.  Although the idea of the smaller grenades and the assult cannon really start bluring together if you think too much about it :D
If you try and take a cat apart to see how it works, the first thing you have on your hands is a non-working cat~DNA
SRGC 0.3: SR1 SR2 SR3 SR4++ h b+++ B--- D++ UB++ IE+ RN-- fnord DSF++++ W++++ hk+ ri++ m gm++ M--(+) P FP+

The_Gun_Nut

• Ace Runner
« Reply #33 on: <09-06-10/1605:51> »
True.  However, cannon rounds have a larger charge behind them.  This launches them further and faster than grenades.  It also can provide some armor penetration, whereas with a grenade the firer is only concerned with getting it to the target.
There is no overkill.

Only "Open fire" and "I need to reload."

Casazil

• Omae
  • There can be only one!
« Reply #34 on: <09-06-10/1718:22> »
Don't get me wrong I like the sniper rifles in game but the set up takes time.

While I have characters who do use them I far prefer the pistols (pull an shoot) or the SMG's (spray and pray)
"If at first you don't succeed blame someone else"
Joel "Casazil" Rogers
Catalyst Demo Team Shadowrun Special Agent #251
http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/CasazilsShadowrun/

« Reply #35 on: <09-07-10/0146:39> »
"If the Attacker benefits from Good Cover, or his cover obscures his view, apply a –2 dice pool modifier to any attacks."

This is perhaps one of the most frustrating rules about sniper rifles. If you have good cover, even if it doesn't obscure your view in any way, for example, you're firing through an open window, nice and comfortable, you get a -2 to hit.

Now I understand why they needed someone on the grassy knoll. Oswald had a -2 to hit Kennedy.

John Schmidt

• Omae
« Reply #36 on: <09-07-10/0227:31> »
Yeah, that is one that I disregard.

Dey got dese things called scopes...that ya look thru at yer targets.  ;D

It's not the one with your name on it; it's the one addressed "to whom it may concern" you've got to think about.

Scruffy

• Newb
« Reply #37 on: <09-07-10/0501:51> »

Yeah my mistake, I haven't played a sniper in a long time. You can't fit gas venting to a rifle anyway, I just re-read the rules (properly this time  ;D). My point about the Remington over the Barrett still stands though, in Shadowrun it pays to go with weapons that lean towards disposable. I have been in games where players have had to ditch weapons mid-run, and most runs won't pay enough to replace a ¥10,000+ heavily modified rifle, plus whatever else you might need to ditch.
(Threats from a mage and a thug)
Scruffy: Look I've just returned from runs in Lagos & Chicago and am currently headed to Denver, so get lost and rob someone else.
Thug: (jumps from cover, sprays automatic fire, hits nothing) Drek!
Scruffy: (quick draws Savalette, shoots once, kills thug) Okay...

Casazil

• Omae
  • There can be only one!
« Reply #38 on: <09-07-10/0524:22> »

Yeah my mistake, I haven't played a sniper in a long time. You can't fit gas venting to a rifle anyway, I just re-read the rules (properly this time  ;D). My point about the Remington over the Barrett still stands though, in Shadowrun it pays to go with weapons that lean towards disposable. I have been in games where players have had to ditch weapons mid-run, and most runs won't pay enough to replace a ¥10,000+ heavily modified rifle, plus whatever else you might need to ditch.

That is so true I remember playing in one game and the rigger keep looseing drones so he started useing cheap ones.

Same goes for weapons and armor buy what you can replace cheaply
Joel "Casazil" Rogers

The_Gun_Nut

• Ace Runner
« Reply #39 on: <09-07-10/0546:46> »
"If the Attacker benefits from Good Cover, or his cover obscures his view, apply a –2 dice pool modifier to any attacks."

This is perhaps one of the most frustrating rules about sniper rifles. If you have good cover, even if it doesn't obscure your view in any way, for example, you're firing through an open window, nice and comfortable, you get a -2 to hit.

Now I understand why they needed someone on the grassy knoll. Oswald had a -2 to hit Kennedy.
Grassy knoll?  Please.  Someone said they saw smoke come from it.  Modern weapons use smokeless powder.

Also, it has been proven that someone can make all the shots in the span of time Oswald had to take his shots.  And modern forensic science has explained the whole "magic bullet" controversy away.

Not that there couldn't be more people involved behind the scenes, but you only needed one person shooting.  The killing of Oswald is a little too convenient.

RE:  The cover penalty.  For the most part I wouldn't penalize someone who hand picked their sniper position unless they were in an extremely awkward spot.  If they had near total cover (-4 cover or better) then I might give them the penalty to represent the awkward contortions they put their body in.  It all depends on location, really.
There is no overkill.

Casazil

• Omae
  • There can be only one!
« Reply #40 on: <09-07-10/0548:15> »
um shots there was only 1 bullet.
Joel "Casazil" Rogers

The_Gun_Nut

• Ace Runner
« Reply #41 on: <09-07-10/0549:19> »
No, there were five (5) shots taken during the assasination.  The one through Kennedy's head was just the killing one.
There is no overkill.

Casazil

• Omae
  • There can be only one!
« Reply #42 on: <09-07-10/0551:18> »
Ahh see I had no Idea I never was big on the whole thing I may be old but not that old  ;D

I saw the Kevin Costner movie though  :P
Joel "Casazil" Rogers

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #43 on: <09-07-10/0852:25> »
Ahh see I had no Idea I never was big on the whole thing I may be old but not that old  ;D

I saw the Kevin Costner movie though  :P
Watch the Quantum Leap episode Donald P. Bellisario made in response to JFK. He took a very detailed look at what was really known about Lee Harvey Oswald.

Turtletron

• Chummer
« Reply #44 on: <09-07-10/1026:30> »
Posted by: Casazil

Quote from: Scruffy on Today at 04:01:51 AM
Quote from: John Schmidt on September 06, 2010, 07:18:41 AM

Yeah my mistake, I haven't played a sniper in a long time. You can't fit gas venting to a rifle anyway, I just re-read the rules (properly this time  Grin). My point about the Remington over the Barrett still stands though, in Shadowrun it pays to go with weapons that lean towards disposable. I have been in games where players have had to ditch weapons mid-run, and most runs won't pay enough to replace a ¥10,000+ heavily modified rifle, plus whatever else you might need to ditch.
That is so true I remember playing in one game and the rigger keep looseing drones so he started useing cheap ones.

Same goes for weapons and armor buy what you can replace cheaply

Also the same for vehicles, a smuggler don't want to lose his heavily modified armored truck for some stupid mistake, so he needs to be careful which vehicle he chooses before the run.
(>) ...and I would have made it too, except for those nosey kids & their stupid dog...
(>) excerpt of The Smiling Bandit's taped deposition, Knight Errant casefile #E385h-0516